What Is The Last Film You Watched?

I saw it again today, and loved it even more. One thing I picked up on,

we never see Cobb going through the kicks, he just wakes up on the plane with everyone already awake. So it is actually more likely that he fell into limbo and was dreaming at the end.

I thought he shot himself after Soto shot himself? Right before they wake up you see Soto going for the gun.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it again today, and loved it even more. One thing I picked up on,

we never see Cobb going through the kicks, he just wakes up on the plane with everyone already awake. So it is actually more likely that he fell into limbo and was dreaming at the end.

I thought he shot himself after Soto shot himself? Right before they wake up you see Soto going for the gun.

You don't see anybody shoot themself. The camera cuts away once it gets a shot of the gun.

Excalibur - What a mess. But what a glorious mess it is. Yes, there are momemnts of pretty bad acting, and some arbritrary plot turns (I take it they originate from the legend), but what an immensely entertaining film this is and so beautiful to look at too. And that final shot...breathtaking. Its been a good evening.

Yeah I just discussed it in depth with a friend. If you recall back to the scene in the Mombasa basement, with the locals dream sharing for several hours a day, a couple hours equated to something like 10 years. So when Dom and Mal were in limbo for 50 years, that was like a night of sleep for them. When they killed themselves with the freight train, they woke up on the floor in their house. With Saito dying in the dream world, he just ended up in limbo for however long that flight was. 10 hours was the time, minus a few hours for everything they had accomplished up until that point, Saito was in limbo for a few decades. Dom had just got into limbo, hence why Saito was so old. What I was getting confused with was how you got out of limbo. Do you just kill yourself and wake up at that point? It appears so, hence why Saito grabbed the gun when he acknowledged that Dom was in fact real. If Saito had shot Dom and then killed himself, they should both have technically woken up on the airplane. Everyone else was awake at that time, because they rode the kicks out of each dream world without risking decades in limbo.

So now I'm a firm believer that the end was in fact reality. Dom found Saito and brought him back to reality. However, the way Nolan shot it was so it was left open to interpretation. All you see is Saito and Dom exchange a few words from their past, and Saito placing his hand on the gun. Then we just cut to Dom on the plane, and we get the happy ending. If Dom was actually still in limbo, not being able to tell what was real and what was a dream, the very end of the movie in terms of reality would be with Arthur and Ariadne on the rocks by the water in the first dream. But honestly, there can only be one correct ending. If you're in limbo for however long, you will have to eventually come back to reality, but only after you die of old age. It's just a dream. The only problem arises when you wake up after that amount of time believing the dream was real, and that's when you lose sight of what's real and what isn't. Mal is an example of this. This problem did not happen with Saito though.

He doesn't go through the kicks because he was in limbo where he found Saito and got him out. The only way to get out of limbo is to die, which is what apparently happened to Cobb and Old Saito. It could still be argued that he did not get out of limbo though.

I did a lot of proofreading and editing in my last post. It's like a couple paragraphs now.

If Dom was still in limbo at the end, he would eventually have to come back to reality, right? After all it is just a dream.

If Dom was still in limbo at the end, he would eventually have to come back to reality, right? After all it is just a dream.

Eventually yes, but in the dream it would be decades. It was actually said that with the special sedative they were using on the plane you could stay down there long enough to where your mind scrambles and you're stuck forever, but Saito and Cobb weren't there for that long. Each dream level you go down time multiplies; in the first level it took 10 seconds for the van to fall into the water, which turned into two minutes for Arthur to rig the kick in level two, about an hour for Eames in level three, and something like 50 years for Saito in limbo. Roughly speaking.

Eventually yes, but in the dream it would be decades. It was actually said that with the special sedative they were using on the plane you could stay down there long enough to where your mind scrambles and you're stuck forever, but Saito and Cobb weren't there for that long. Each dream level you go down time multiplies; in the first level it took 10 seconds for the van to fall into the water, which turned into two minutes for Arthur to rig the kick in level two, about an hour for Eames in level three, and something like 50 years for Saito in limbo. Roughly speaking.

Right, Yusuf said it could be infinite. But, what would happen to your real body though? If you're mind was in limbo, would you just appear to be an insane person in reality? If that was the case, then the team failed, they landed in the states, and Dom would probably have been sent to a mental institution and then it turns into Shutter Island. :cool:

You'd be a vegetable.

I think the ending could go either way really, but I like to think it was real. There's no way at least that the entire thing was a dream.

I've got a question about Inception:

In the snowy dream, why didn't the first kick (the van going off the bridge) wake them up? I remember them saying "we must have missd it," but how does that work?

I just came back and liked the whole concept of the movie , but for some reason I didn't connect with it emotionally (maybe because your to busy processing everything happening at any one point to appreciate it on a visceral level). I felt the Ellen Page character got downplayed to following everyone around at the end. Also the action scenes editing wasn't that great (same problem with TDK)

In the snowy dream, why didn't the first kick (the van going off the bridge) wake them up? I remember them saying "we must have missd it," but how does that work?

The first kick was supposed to be when the van went off the bridge, so they were supposed to have been done with implanting the idea into Robert's head by that time. Considering they were way behind schedule, they had to improvise. Yusuf played the music to Arthur, who then knew he had 30 seconds before the van would go off the bridge. He played the music to Eames, signaling him that they had 30 seconds to set off the explosives. Then they count and time it so that when the explosives go off they go into free fall and wake up.

The first kick was supposed to be when the van went off the bridge, so they were supposed to have been done with implanting the idea into Robert's head by that time. Considering they were way behind schedule, they had to improvise. Yusuf played the music to Arthur, who then knew he had 30 seconds before the van would go off the bridge. He played the music to Eames, signaling him that they had 30 seconds to set off the explosives. Then they count and time it so that when the explosives go off they go into free fall and wake up.

But how did they endure the first kick without waking up? Obviously that would've been a failed mission, but I didn't think they had any control over whether or not a kick waked them up.

That's how it was explained...anyhow. I think I might enjoy this film a lot more on a second viewing.

I still don't care fro Zimmer's scores

But how did they endure the first kick without waking up? Obviously that would've been a failed mission, but I didn't think they had any control over whether or not a kick waked them up.

Simply because they weren't in free fall in one dream when they were in another. They are in a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream. The very bottom being limbo, then the mountain, then the hotel, then the city, and then reality on the plane. You die in limbo to make yourself wake up in the mountain dream, and then when you free fall in that dream you wake up in the hotel dream, and when you free fall in that dream you wake up in the city dream. Essentially you need to be free falling in all dreams in order to get back to reality. That's why it's so dangerous to go down so many levels, because it's nearly impossible to synch it up.

My friend just showed me this, perhaps it'll help when discussing. I think it does:

_1279559876.jpg

I've also just been told by my friend that apparently Dom doesn't have his wedding ring on in reality, but he does in the dream world. And at the end, he doesn't have the ring on. I definitely noticed the ring at one point in the film, but never paid attention in the long run. It sounds like it could easily be a rumor to make it seem like it was stolen from The Sixth Sense.

Excalibur - What a mess. But what a glorious mess it is. Yes, there are momemnts of pretty bad acting, and some arbritrary plot turns (I take it they originate from the legend), but what an immensely entertaining film this is and so beautiful to look at too. And that final shot...breathtaking. Its been a good evening.

It's not a mess, it's unadulterated kitsch. I watched the HD version and felt that the visuals were disappointingly dated. It screamed remake to me and I think I know the perfect director for a project like this. Was your aspect ratio '1.85 : 1'?

Alex

Yeah I just discussed it in depth with a friend. If you recall back to the scene in the Mombasa basement,

About the scene in the basement. Cobb is testing this something-something, but we can't be sure if he ever wakes up from that dream. One scene later, he tries to check that with his totem in the bathroom, but it falls on the floor and then Cobb is interrupted by Watanabe's character. So we don't really know.

Karol

It's not a mess, it's unadulterated kitsch. I watched the HD version and felt that the visuals were disappointingly dated. It screamed remake to me and I think I know the perfect director for a project like this. Was your aspect ratio '1.85 : 1'?

Alex

I really liked the occasionally tacky look. I felt it blended pretty well with the tone of the film. I didn't really care however with the use of green lights. I wouldn't mind another take on the Arthurian legend (something I'm a sucker for) but I don't think I'd want Excalibur to be remade per se. And no I believe the aspect ratio was something slightly more square.

Yeah I just discussed it in depth with a friend. If you recall back to the scene in the Mombasa basement,

About the scene in the basement. Cobb is testing this something-something, but we can't be sure if he ever wakes up from that dream. One scene later, he tries to check that with his totem in the bathroom, but it falls on the floor and then Cobb is interrupted by Watanabe's character. So we don't really know.

Karol

Nice catch. I was aware of that detail, but never thought it could mean

he was still dreaming.

Well I just saw Inception, and my brain is too tired to think about it right now.

Suffice it to say, I agree with the theory about the final two scenes. I couldn't tell what on earth the older guy was saying at the end so it was sort of lost on me.

But there was an audible 'awed hush' during the final shot - everyone was clearly thinking the same thing. In fact, I leaned to my brother and said quietly

"this is a dream"

, followed by

"and... cuuuut to black just as the top starts wobbling a bit"

2 seconds before it did.

Superb filmmaking from Nolan. We were debating it the entire journey home.

Predator 2

Aahhhhhh. Now THAT's a sequel to Predator. This film is 10x better than Predators. I loved how right from the bat they tried to be as different as possible from the first - from the city setting, to a wider cast of characters, to the Predator himself having a completely different personality than the one in the first movie. In that movie, he stalked his prey, and only killed them one at a time when they were separated from each other. In Predator 2, he is constantly jumped right into the middle of groups of angry people with guns and trying to kill them all. He doesn't seem to be as much of a trophy collector either.... out of all the people we see him kill (probably almost 20), we only see him cleaning and keeping one skull.

It's kinda silly how there is a half dozen Predators in the ship at the end... what where they just hanging out, playing cards for 2 weeks while the one Predator had fun on the surface? But overall the whole movie just works and is quite fun. The entire ending with Danny Glover fighting and chasing after the Predator is great, and believable. Blu ray looked nice too. It's amazing how much the special effects progressed in just the 3 years since the first one - the invisibility effect was light years better than the first movie

Treasure Planet. It's a good, enjoyable and imaginative film that captures a lot of the spirit of the book it's based on. This is still one of JNH's best scores, I think. The only major complaint I have is for those two horrible pop songs inserted into the film. They don't fit the old fashioned, swashbuckling feel of the rest of the film. And they're played during some big emotional scenes--I'm sure JNH could have done wonders with them.

And no I believe the aspect ratio was something slightly more square.

Slightly more square? 4:3?

BTW, 20-25 years ago, I loved the visuals of Excalibur but now it seems that everything I loved about it is gone. Maybe the aspect ratio has something to do with that. I remember seeing it on TV and it definitely had black bars at the top and the bottom. It gave the movie a bigger scope and a nicer, more beautiful image. Now the image is spread all across the screen. It's grainy and washed out. It's so dull-looking, not one shot made some kind of impression on me.

I never remember Excalibur to be that good.

Now I felt it was closer to Zardoz than ever before and that's not a good sign.

2049-matrix-screensaver.jpg

In fact, I think I understand it all now.

Alex

Amistad - now i've seen every film Spielberg has made.

...including "The Unfinished Journey", and, if so, where?

Bloody smartarse!

:P Thank you, Mr. Quint, we'll take that under advisement. 7th

Hey, it's a film by Steven Spielberg, for crying out loud! I also doubt that our friend has seen either "Escape To Nowhere", nor "Amblin'", so there. ;)

1.78:1, filled up my 16:9 tv

Hey, it's a film by Steven Spielberg, for crying out loud! I also doubt that our friend has seen either "Escape To Nowhere", nor "Amblin'", so there. ;)

Damnit! :P OK, feature film.

Predator 2

It's kinda silly how there is a half dozen Predators in the ship at the end... what where they just hanging out, playing cards for 2 weeks while the one Predator had fun on the surface?

Of course! That ship is their hunting camp. Either they hunt one at a time to make it more challenging, or the main predator is an adolescent of the tribe, while the elders stay out of the way to observe.

1.78:1, filled up my 16:9 tv

Damnit! :P OK, feature film.

"Feature film", eh? So what does that make "Duel"?

Damnit! OK, let me rephrase the whole thing. I've seen every film made by Spielberg that has been released theatrically AND Duel. :P

And no lets not get started about Firelight

The problem was that they filmed additional scenes that were not a part of the original TV version that just slowed the movie down while adding nothing when they decided to release it theatrically internationally... and now that extended version is all that's available on DVD.

I just remember the whole scene with him calling his wife was pointless and then I went online and read it was never part of the original movie, and I was like ahhhhhh makes sense.

I just remember the whole scene with him calling his wife was pointless and then I went online and read it was never part of the original movie, and I was like ahhhhhh makes sense.

Why is it pointless?

Just what I remember thinking at the time. Maybe not pointless, but that it dragged on too long. Its been a while since I've seen the movie, so I really don't remember any details sorry

True, it was a bit too long but it showed that we were dealing with a simple and ordinary everyman (slightly bordering on boring) and it was a great angle (shot through the circular window of a laundry machine). In the '80s, everyday men were replaced by action man figures. The scene reminds us of an era before that.

Alex

Interesting. Maybe I'll change my mind next time I view the film.

A quick check on IMDB just told me that the scene was filmed against Spielberg's wishes.