• 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I am not familiar with this movie.
  3. 3. Personally, which score do YOU prefer?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    • E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

There's no 10 option for the film and no 15 option for the score, so I had to round down to a disgraceful 5 out of 5 for both.

As for E.T. vs. Raiders...E.T. is a wonderful score, to be sure, but Raiders just has the whole package. There are few scores I'd even consider rating higher than it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score 5

Film 5

Both the score and the film are classics in their own genre.

And I reluctantly had to choose between E.T. and Raiders and I chose the latter.

In terms of Concorde vs. DCC, I actually prefer some tracks from either version depending on the different mixes. Most of the tracks sound more natural on the DCC version, and I really notice the pitch problems in "The Map Room: Dawn". Speaking of that track, I think the first few seconds when Indiana Jones lowers himself into the map room is the best part of the whole score. The theme for the Ark never sounded better. It's brief, but for whatever reason I consider that one of the top JW moments.

I'm clearly one of 4 people here who don't think this score is the second coming... hmm.

I don't think it's the second coming. I just think it's one of the best film scores I've ever heard. In all seriousness, though, it took me a little while to come around to it...perhaps your feelings about it will change similarly.

I'm clearly one of 4 people here who don't think this score is the second coming... hmm.

I'm with ya. My serious vote would probably be like 2.5 or a 3.

I know, even National Treasure: Book of Secrets was better than this piece of trash.

Yeah, Raiders is such a 2.5 stars score.

It's such a shame that someone like Jablonsky wasn't around in the late 70s and early 80s, imagine how great his scores for Raiders, Star Wars, Superman or E.T. could have been, instead we have to settle for the mediocre scores Williams came up with.

I don't think it's the second coming. I just think it's one of the best film scores I've ever heard. In all seriousness, though, it took me a little while to come around to it...perhaps your feelings about it will change similarly.

I don't know why I don't like it much - it just doesn't excite me, and for instance Desert Chase just isn't very interesting to me. I like Jungle Chase a million times more. But unlike Joey, I respect the score and am pleased that virtually everyone else here gets such a kick out of it :)

But the first time I saw the movies properly was only when the DVDs came out. I guess the movie is the least interesting of the three to me, and that affects my interest in the score outside its absolute highlights.

Well that's certainly the short way of saying it.

And when I mention highlights, they consist of The Map Room, Basket Chase and Flight from Peru. I really have tried listening to the rest and I just don't get that 'hook' that makes me keep repeating a track over and over.

I was not excited at all when the 'fake' Concord disc leaked.

I don't like Raiders because it's overplayed, rather repetitive, and the non-thematic music is uninteresting.

This is the opposite of Pirates of the Caribbean.

No, Koray, it's a legitimate criticism. How could you complain that Raiders is overplayed if you're a fan of some of the most popular composers and film scores ever? I could go into the details of "repetitive" and "boring" music but you already know how I feel about that.

I don't like Raiders because it's overplayed, rather repetitive, and the non-thematic music is uninteresting.

This is the opposite of Pirates of the Caribbean.

:lol:

Then you truly have not listened to Raiders because your post makes no sense whatsoever.

my how this board has changed, years ago E.T. would have destroyed Raiders, and rightfully so, but since the invasion began things have changed.

Raiders is a near perfect film.

The score is a 5 star score but not in E.T.'s league.

I'm not sick of E.T. but I am sick of the Raiders March, in the grand scheme of things its the lesser of JW's greatest themes.

Jesus fuck. I'm sick of all this sarcastic RCP shit.

Seriously, what did you expect?? You brag about how you rated the score with one star and then say that really is a 2.5 score. It's a "rate Raiders" poll in a John Williams forum, one of his most beloved scores and you claim is repetitive and uninteresting when you like RCP for crying out loud!

Now there's nothing wrong if you don't like Raiders or if you like Zimmer, but let's be honest you were pretty much asking for the "sarcastic RCP shit" you're so sick of.

Desert Chase just isn't very interesting to me. I like Jungle Chase a million times more.

Wow, you and I are polar opposites I guess. To me, "The Jungle Chase" is an okay and listenable action cue, but aside from the spectacular passages featuring "The Raiders March", it sounds like JW modernized action music akin to any of those God awful War of the Worlds action scenes. Shockingly, some of it is like silly Mickey Mousing that may as well have underscored Kevin being chased by the crooks or something. "Desert Chase", on the other hand, I simply consider to be one of the greatest action cues for a film ever.

While it's written not long after it, Raiders was never of the same genius level as Stars Wars (2-LP) or Close Encounters (LP) to me. The main themes were excellent but a lot of the action cues were just ... action cues.

Alex

The action/underscore cues are what makes it for me. I mean, yeah, the march is awesome, but work like 'In The Idol's Temple' is just magnifique. Which is why I'm stunned when people say they don't like this score. To me, this is one of the greatest examples of how amazing film music can be and I fail to comprehend how someone cannot be thrilled by it.

I'm not sick of E.T. but I am sick of the Raiders March, in the grand scheme of things its the lesser of JW's greatest themes.

So in a nutshell, you played Raiders March like 1000 times in your life and now you're sick of it, and that's why you're bashing it now? :lol::)

The action/underscore cues are what makes it for me. I mean, yeah, the march is awesome, but work like 'In The Idol's Temple' is just magnifique. Which is why I'm stunned when people say they don't like this score. To me, this is one of the greatest examples of how amazing film music can be and I fail to comprehend how someone cannot be thrilled by it.

Well, as you can see, most people DO love this score...

There will always be a few who will hate what the majority loves and admires. ;)

While it's written not long after it, Raiders was never of the same genius level as Stars Wars (2-LP) or Close Encounters (LP) to me. The main themes were excellent but a lot of the action cues were just ... action cues.

Alex

Raiders is way better than CEOT3K.

But that's just my opinion...

After 30 years of listening to both scores, I can't come to the same conclusion. While Close Encounters has a far more distinctive and unique voice and vision, I feel there are a lot of Raiders of The Lost Ark scores out there. Raiders sounds like more like ordinary, casual film music.

After 30 years of listening to both scores, I can't come to the same conclusion. While Close Encounters has a far more distinctive and unique voice and vision, I feel there are a lot of Raiders of The Lost Ark scores out there. Raiders sounds like more like ordinary, casual film music.

Not many scores sounded like Raiders before Raiders was released... later, many tried to copy it.

CE might be more distinctive, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. Still, I'm not trying to put CE down. Both are (again that word!) masterpieces.

Do you really think Raiders score was new and innovating?

It's one of the best examples of its kind.

New and innovating? Again, new and innovating don't make a score necessarily better.

Raiders is a score for a movie that is supposed to be a recreation of the 30s serials... so the movie is not especially new and innovating.

New and innovating? Again, new and innovating don't make a score necessarily better.

I merely asked because you said before Raiders not many scores sounded like Raiders.

I merely asked because you said before Raiders not many scores sounded like Raiders.

Yeah, I meant not many scores were as good as Raiders...

Seriously, what did you expect?? You brag about how you rated the score with one star and then say that really is a 2.5 score. It's a "rate Raiders" poll in a John Williams forum, one of his most beloved scores and you claim is repetitive and uninteresting when you like RCP for crying out loud!

Now there's nothing wrong if you don't like Raiders or if you like Zimmer, but let's be honest you were pretty much asking for the "sarcastic RCP shit" you're so sick of.

You did walk into that one a little Koray... 'repetitive' is definitely a word I'd apply to Zimmer first.

If I had Raiders on in the background while doing something else, I'd probably enjoy it for what it is, but what I'm saying is as a listening experience, I never feel a compulsion go to and listen to it.

It might have something to do with the sound of a score and its recording age/quality. If I don't have a strong connection to the film or score, then if it has a bit of an aged sound to it I can find it hard to appreciate. Add that to Williams' undeniably 'old school' orchestration.

This RCP... could it carry Williams' wisdom beyond the great synthesizer?

The carbon units infesting the orchestra will be patterned for data storage.

So in a nutshell, you played Raiders March like 1000 times in your life and now you're sick of it, and that's why you're bashing it now? ;):)

There will always be a few who will hate what the majority loves and admires. ;)

Alex

just another reason your opinion is worthless, and always has been.

Belouq had a word for you.

So in a nutshell, you played Raiders March like 1000 times in your life and now you're sick of it, and that's why you're bashing it now? :):lol:

Alex

just another reason your opinion is worthless, and always has been.

Belouq had a word for you.

:lol:

Another lowlife idiot!