Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?

indy4

Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?

• Yes
    • No

When KotCS was just released I believe we had this poll and the result was a pretty strong "Yes." But I have a feeling that the MB's feelings towards Indy 5 have become less welcoming, given the comments created after Shia's interview.

I voted yes (shockingly enough). I'd like to see Spielberg get another shot to bring back Indy the way he originally intended, without Lucas' desires for a new and improved Indy. And even if this isn't what we'll get in Indy 5, I'll still probably enjoy it, as I very much enjoyed KotCS.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes, but it's a bit complicated. In theory I would like to see another one, but a good one, or at least a fun one. Without going again and again about the problems I have with KOTCS my main issue is that it bored me. I really have completely lost my faith in Lucas and without him there won't be an Indy 5, but I don't think he can make a good movie anymore, so a part of me doesn't want another "mediocre" Indy film.

I'm impartial.

The first three movies are still at home for me to enjoy. If it turns out good, then great, and if not then that's ok too.

I voted yes, though the condition is of course that it would be good. I happened to enjoy KOTCS immensely, even though I was plenty aware of its flaws from the get-go. So even if the film were no better, I'd still go see it and enjoy myself. But I'd like it to be better - a lot better. I think Spielberg has it in him; I think Lucas doesn't. Hopefully the former will have a lot more influence on this one.

Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I waste $10 seeing a film that doesn't entertain me, and then I get to go back home to my DVD collection, which already includes three fun Indiana Jones films and one perfect one. Not the end of the world.

After reading responses perhaps the yes should have been changed to "Yes we want a 5th film because we are hoping they can make up for the crappy KOTCS".

I don't need them to make up for the crappy KOTCS, but would I want to see a new, GOOD Indy movie?? Yes, who wouldn't??

Sadly I know that's almost impossible.

After reading responses perhaps the yes should have been changed to "Yes we want a 5th film because we are hoping they can make up for the crappy KOTCS".

Then I wouldn't be able to vote.

yes sure. I don't know why anybody could say no.. I mean, you have three classic perfect movies. and even if the chose to make 1000 sequels that are worse than KOTCS, those three classic movies will still be great.

you have nothing to lose. and every movierelease will bring merchandise, and that means a chance for a complete indy music box every time.

I'm impartial.

The first three movies are still at home for me to enjoy. If it turns out good, then great, and if not then that's ok too.

I am in concurrence with this statement.

yes sure. I don't know why anybody could say no.. I mean, you have three classic perfect movies. and even if the chose to make 1000 sequels that are worse than KOTCS, those three classic movies will still be great.

you have nothing to lose. and every movierelease will bring merchandise, and that means a chance for a complete indy music box every time.

One could make the argument that doing this film would draw Spielberg's attention and time from potentially more rewarding projects....

I voted no, but I'll see it if it's made.

This is my answer. I didn't hate KOTCS, in fact the last time I saw it I kinda enjoyed it, but I feel as though the series should be left as is. Indy 4 did not live up to the originals and I fear that another sequel would be the same way, especially if Lucas is given as much creative control.

On the other hand, if Spielberg really wants to do it then by all means he should. One of the problems I think that the fourth installment had was that the Beard's heart was fully into making it, he said he did it only for the fans as opposed to all the other movies he's made which he did (to one degree or another) for himself.

I vote yes. Despite its real flaws, I enjoyed the heck out of KOTCS all three times I went to see it in the theater, and I still enjoy it. I think at least Spielberg (and possibly Lucas) is aware of some of the big complaints about KOTCS, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think that we stand a good chance of him keeping the stuff that worked and changing at least some of what didn't. For me, if you take the glow/haze out of the cinematography (the crypt sequence was spot on as far as cinematography goes; the waterfalls...the shots inside the truck...etc.? Not so much.), use computers only for compositing and the things that are absolutely necessary (i.e., give me a real puppet/animatronic/costumed alien, thank you), and avoid sacrificing respect for the characters for the sake of fun, then you're well on your way. They got a lot more right than I think they get credit for around here, and I'll gladly go to see a fifth film.

Another plus: now that Indy's already had his reintroductory film, it's reasonable to suspect that there won't be any conspicuous quotes from previous scores this time around! :nod:

I wouldn't go so far as wishing for that instead of KOTCS, but yeah, it would've been nice if Transformers actually felt like it was a Steven Spielberg production.

Another plus: now that Indy's already had his reintroductory film, it's reasonable to suspect that there won't be any conspicuous quotes from previous scores this time around! :nod:

Hmm... Star Wars had already being "reintroduced" and ROTS still had note by note quotes of the Duel from Empire, the Funeral Music from Episode I, the leaving Coruscant fanfare also from Episode I...

True. But--I don't know how accurate this is--I thought that it had been said somewhere that the KOTCS quotes were used to inject some familiarity. I think it's telling that the quotes all occur within the first third of the film.

My optimistic side tells me a fifth film could really improve on KotCS and redeem the series. My rational side tells me it would be a disaster.

I think I've cracked Indy V. It'll use Lucas' original TLC haunted castle storyline. Indy and his family are en-route to Disneyland when the car breaks down. They seek shelter in an abandoned castle and are haunted by the ghouls. It turns out that this castle is the center of all paranormal activity and a rift in the space-time continuum sends the Ghostbusters back in time to the 1960's, where they help Indy defeat the spirits and restore the castle's sacred power.

No. Not that I find IV complete disaster. I enjoyed it preety much like two other sequels (which means I was partially disappointed), but I don't expect anything worthy from the V. Lucas is without doubt run out of great ideas, Spielberg seems to have lost his flair a bit, Williams nowadays feels himself better in dramas than action-adventure genre and Ford - with all due respect - is too old to be action hero. I don't want it to sound like ageism, I simply find it difficult to identify with 60-year-old Indiana Jones. Despite his really good condition he was nowwhere as fit as he used to be 20 years ago and the fight scenes seemed awfuly staged to avoid his fatigue. As much as I like the character, watching him now isn't as exciting as it was.

No. Not that I find IV complete disaster. I enjoyed it preety much like two other sequels (which means I was partially disappointed), but I don't expect anything worthy from the V. Lucas is without doubt out of great ideas, Spielberg seems to have lost his flair a bit, Williams nowadays feels better in dramas than action-adventure genre and Ford - with all due respect - is too old to be action hero. I don't want it to sound like ageism, I simply find it difficult to identify with 60-year-old Indiana Jones. Despite his really good condition he was nowwhere as fit as he used to be 20 years ago and the fight scenes seemed awfuly staged to avoid his fatigue. As much as I like the character, watching him now isn't as exciting as it was.

I don't think Lucas is out of great ideas, as the skull/alien idea of KOTCS was one of the best things about it, and he came up with some great concepts for te prequels, I just think that he needs to reign his ideas in or have them interpretated through someone else, rather like Tarantino. As everyone knows, the best two products to come out of Lucasfilm, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK were both essentially created by Lucas (with a bit of Phil Kaufman), but brought to life by someone else.

There is no denying that Lucas earned his success with many of his productions. Thesedays, however, his ideas are far from greatness. They are good at most, but even then they are poorly executed (either by the man himself or people like Koepp). It's highly unlikely he comes up with anything really strong for Indy V, not to mention Spielberg has to hire better screenwriter anyway.

I want another one. It's all about having something good to watch when you want to be entertained. No reason to overthink it.

YES!

lets hope they make a new trilogy, that way is easier to sepparate the two indy ages. and if you would like to ignore the latter, you could since they would be sold as sepparates packs. (since i have yet to see a SW saga pack...)

I voted yes.

I think there were some interesting ideas going on in Crystal Skull, and I also think Spielberg realizes how much he missed the mark and is eager to redeem the series. Get a better screenwriter, concentrate more on the characters and nail the cinematography this time.

Of course by biggest worry is doing this in time to get Williams back.

That is mine, as well.

Well, if it's again 19 years from now, I think we can forget about Williams! :P

I also think Spielberg realizes how much he missed the mark and is eager to redeem the series.

What on earth makes you think this?

Ahhh, because Spielberg doesn't live on the moon? :P

I'm sure he reads the reviews... at least some of them.

That is mine, as well.

They can just use tracked music from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. No biggie.

That is mine, as well.

They can just use tracked music from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. No biggie.

Hahaha, yeah they'll probably track music from all 4 movies...

I also think Spielberg realizes how much he missed the mark and is eager to redeem the series.

Spielberg doesn't listen to the haters.

Spielberg doesn't listen to the haters.

I only say ToD... and then LC.