Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?

indy4

Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a fifth Indiana Jones film?

• Yes
    • No

Not quite sure where you're going with that one. Are you saying that the surprise was due to people's expectations of Spielberg?

Expectations of Spielberg and just expectations in general. He has a good portion of mediocre to bad films in his repertoire.

Given that you don't like CE3K, I'm interested to see what you view as mediocre to bad. Do we dare ask for a list?

I never said I don't like Close Encounters, at least I don't think so. I just don't see why people see it as a great masterpiece. As for Spielberg, he's a blockbuster director at the end of the day. At lot of his movies aren't very special and are just entertaining.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it'd be hard. 'Right John, let me take you through the film.Ok, so here's an explosion... here's some slow-motion against an orange sunset.... don't worry about this bit, we're going to cut in some Linkin Park... here's some more explosions... yeah, a bit more slow motion, but look, red sunset, see I'm versatile... few more explosions... Aerosmith song here... US flag... more explosions... and the end credits. Yeah, they explode too. Then the Paramount logo. That'll explode too.'

Williams: "Where exactly is Lincoln Park?" "Arrow....Smith? I'm not familiar with him".

Not quite sure where you're going with that one. Are you saying that the surprise was due to people's expectations of Spielberg?

Expectations of Spielberg and just expectations in general. He has a good portion of mediocre to bad films in his repertoire.

Given that you don't like CE3K, I'm interested to see what you view as mediocre to bad. Do we dare ask for a list?

I never said I don't like Close Encounters, at least I don't think so. I just don't see why people see it as a great masterpiece. As for Spielberg, he's a blockbuster director at the end of the day. At lot of his movies aren't very special and are just entertaining.

That's underrating him just a bit. Does he make blockbusters? Sure. I don't think he makes them intentionally a lot of the time. Unless SCHINDLER'S LIST, EMPIRE OF THE SUN or MUNICH are intentional blockbusters. Hell, JAWS and E.T. weren't made as blockbusters, nor was RAIDERS. They just became that because of what the audience made them, the same as CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. However, your last sentence makes me think you don't see "entertaining" films as a viable sub-form of the art.

Addendum: MUNICH doesn't really work as an example because it didn't really make much money so it wasn't really a blockbuster. I guess I'll replace it with something like THE COLOR PURPLE.

I don't care what the two beard-heads do. If they're creatively bankrupt enough to go back to that well again, then all I ask is that they don't make it yet another story about a parent and his/her child learning to get along.

I don't care what the two beard-heads do. If they're creatively bankrupt enough to go back to that well again, then all I ask is that they don't make it yet another story about a parent and his/her child learning to get along.

Does that really count when they don't know they're parent/child?

I doubt it'd be hard. 'Right John, let me take you through the film.Ok, so here's an explosion... here's some slow-motion against an orange sunset.... don't worry about this bit, we're going to cut in some Linkin Park... here's some more explosions... yeah, a bit more slow motion, but look, red sunset, see I'm versatile... few more explosions... Aerosmith song here... US flag... more explosions... and the end credits. Yeah, they explode too. Then the Paramount logo. That'll explode too.'

Bwaahahahaah. :P

When you talk to people about a movie, there's that popular opinion you have to get through first. Let's take Star Trek for example. The majority of people like that movie. When you talk about it, you get this vibe that you're starting from a positive standpoint. If you really have anything negative to say, you really have to back up your claim. There are those who didn't enjoy that movie and they really have to explain themselves for it. The same goes for Crystal Skull.

HBP and DH are the worst books I've ever read. I hold these truths to be self-evident.

HBP certainly is terrible. Don't know about DH because after OotP and HBP I didn't want to go near a Potter book ever again.

I do not understand, nor do I agree with the logic that says, "So what if the fifth one stinks? You still have the old trilogy to enjoy."

Yes, it is true that I can always go back and enjoy the originals. It's also true that a new bad film will probably not hurt my love for the old films in any way. BUT, the whole point is that I don't want to see something I love (in this case, a beloved character, a beloved director/actor/composer) embarrassed. I hate to see something that I hold dear exploited and hyper-commercialized and diluted in such a way.

That is why I do NOT want to see a fifth Indiana Jones movie, and it is why I still feel a little embarrassed for Ford/Spielberg when I think about Indy IV.

I do not understand, nor do I agree with the logic that says, "So what if the fifth one stinks? You still have the old trilogy to enjoy."

Yes, it is true that I can always go back and enjoy the originals. It's also true that a new bad film will probably not hurt my love for the old films in any way. BUT, the whole point is that I don't want to see something I love (in this case, a beloved character, a beloved director/actor/composer) embarrassed. I hate to see something that I hold dear exploited and hyper-commercialized and diluted in such a way.

That is why I do NOT want to see a fifth Indiana Jones movie, and it is why I still feel a little embarrassed for Ford/Spielberg when I think about Indy IV.

I can see both sides. Along the same lines as your sentiments, Tim, Calvin and Hobbes cartoonist Bill Watterson memorably resisted his syndicate's attempts to license his work out of a belief that the resultant merchandising frenzy would cheapen the characters he had created. And, in that particular case, it is probably more natural to side with the wishes of the artist, anyway. But in other instances, as when fans rabidly tear apart a film adaptation when it doesn't cleave slavishly to its literary source, sometimes it bears remembering that the movie does not destroy the book. However you feel about the movie, there's always the book in your personal or local library to enjoy -- and the movie can take away from that enjoyment only if you let it.

Kraawwww!!! KRoshh!!!!

do I want cancer, do I want aids, do I want $4.00 a gallon gas.

its amazing how you change your view with time and constant self-convincing that something is bad.

I remember you were 'giddy as a schoolboy'* after watching both ROTS and KOTCS. And now they seem to be the worst pieces of crap the 7th art has given birth to.

*dramatic exaggeration from my part. (i hope you get the quotation pun XD)

I recognised KOTCS for what it was, just average, I allowed myself to enjoy it, but I have not seen it since, I chose not to get the Dvd. I never was giddy as a school boy over Revenge of the Shits, it was 1/2 horrible film, and 1/2 ok film, with its own refrigerator moment, except it was a frankenstein NOOOOOOOO.

With AOTC i made one fatal mistake.

I saw it a second time.....

I don't think its a mistake to see any movie more than once, in fact most of the time we benefit from it (even if the movie itself doesn't).