None But The Brave (1965)

Erik Woods

PREMIERE CD UNCOVERS AN EARLY DRAMATIC GEM FROM JOHN WILLIAMS

Film Score Monthly presents the first-ever release of the famed film composer’s None But the Brave, an ambitiously broad and majestic 1960s score that will delight fans

Linden, VA – June 18, 2009 – An important dramatic score from the early career of John Williams is now released in complete stereo form by Film Score Monthly.

None But the Brave (1965) is a WWII film about a small contingent of Japanese and American solders making an uneasy truce on a small South Pacific island until war rears its ugly head. The picture is perhaps best remembered as the first (and only) directorial effort of Frank Sinatra, who stars in a small role alongside Clint Walker, Tony Bill and a diverse group of American and Japanese actors (it was co-produced by American and Japanese studios).

For film music fans the star is John Williams, then known as "Johnny" and transitioning to feature films after productive years in television. Most of Williams' early films were comedies but None But the Brave was a notable exception, giving Williams the opportunity to write a broad, majestic main theme, with ambitiously chromatic counterlines somewhat in the style of his contemporary, André Previn. The body of the score blends tension-filled moments informed by Williams' dramatic scores for television; atmospheric and suspense writing that anticipate his future blockbusters (from Close Encounters of the Third Kind to Raiders of the Lost Ark); and even lighter passages recalling his comedic work. The story also allows for sensitive depictions of the Japanese as well as American characters, and these feature carefully designed Japanese-flavored colors (decades before Memoirs of a Geisha).

Fans of the composer who thought they knew every last note of his oeuvre and have hungered for new Williams CDs will delight in this uncovered gem. It is fascinating to hear his development as an artist, as well as the voice he offered for cinema of the 1960s. And if you like his Lost in Space television music, there is at least one cue ("The Final Flight") that will make you exclaim, "Danger, Will Robinson!"

FSM's premiere presentation of None But the Brave features the complete score newly mixed from the original ½" three-track stereo scoring masters as recorded by Dan Wallin on the Warner Bros. stage. Engineered for FSM's CD by Mike Matessino, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Bonus tracks include Williams' music for the film's trailer, a piano solo performance of the theme (performed by the composer), and the commercial single recording of the main theme in the pop style of the day. Liner notes are by Jeff Eldridge. This is a limited edition of 3,000.

It is available now from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12527

Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a feeling an early Williams was coming after Lukas dropped some hints a few weeks ago.

This is great!!!!!!!

Wonderful news!

Now if only I had a full wallet I could get this immeadiately but alack no.

Ordered !

I didn't remember this one..at first I thought it was another JG western

The Jerry Goldsmith score you are thinking of is Lonely Are the Brave, which needs a release as well.

Yes, great news! And allow me to say, finally - another Williams gem. I'm going to hold off ordering it until next week though - I suppose it'll still be around by then, being no Intrada or Varèse Club release and no Goldsmith.

Yeah I know. This is not a comedy score, so I figure it will sell out a bit faster. But still, I can't fathom why Monsignor and Images are still around while some bad Goldsmith scores sell out in a day (so to speak). I don't think there are less Williams fans than Goldsmith ones. Is it because there is more hype with Goldsmith? Because Williams fans are less present on the internet or on the MBs? Because they illegally download more?

I think people at FSM order several copies each of the Goldsmith scores, as though it's going to be valuable or something.

I think people at FSM order several copies each of the Goldsmith scores, as though it's going to be valuable or something.

I ordered it in a flash.

Why can't some of you guys simply celebrate the release of this gem instead of somehow trying to discredit the success of CDs of scores from other composers?

Ordered !

I didn't remember this one..at first I thought it was another JG western

I thought the same thing at first!

Ordered this, along with The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

:P

Can't wait to hear it. Kinda embarrassed to say, but never heard of the movie, let alone of the score.

So, will this be the only 2009 Williams release?

OK. Just looked it up on wiki to see what the movie's all about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_But_the_Brave Wonder whether the music includes some ethnic Japanese-sounding cues...

Has anyone here even seen the movie??

I have seen it a couple of times and it's a pretty solid effort, ideal lazy Sunday afternoon fare. Indeed my only recording of music from the film is from years ago when I recorded the main titles off the TV, using the headphones from my personal stereo as a microphone! I'm really looking forward to hearing a clean version of the music for the shark attack scene, written ten years before Jaws (I couldn't resist listening to the short sample at the FSM website). I dare say that any Williams fans completely unfamiliar with this score are in for a real treat.

:P

I have seen it a couple of times and it's a pretty solid effort, ideal lazy Sunday afternoon fare. Indeed my only recording of music from the film is from years ago when I recorded the main titles off the TV, using the headphones from my personal stereo as a microphone! I'm really looking forward to hearing a clean version of the music for the shark attack scene, written ten years before Jaws (I couldn't resist listening to the short sample at the FSM website). I dare say that any Williams fans completely unfamiliar with this score are in for a real treat.

:nod:

Wow, this is great! Now I can't wait to hear it!

There's a shark attack scene...? :P

Does it have quasi-Japanese music too?

The clips sound good and I should order it. Doesn't seem like it will sell out that fast though. I am shocked that Monsignor is still available.

Yeah I know. This is not a comedy score, so I figure it will sell out a bit faster. But still, I can't fathom why Monsignor and Images are still around while some bad Goldsmith scores sell out in a day (so to speak). I don't think there are less Williams fans than Goldsmith ones. Is it because there is more hype with Goldsmith? Because Williams fans are less present on the internet or on the MBs? Because they illegally download more?

It does have a lot to do with hype or reputation, which, in turn, has much to do with the score and/or the movie for which it is written. The archival Goldsmith releases that have sold out quickly are more likely to be genre titles that showcase Goldsmith's much-revered and very much hyped action writing. And there's nothing the typical film score fan likes more than a slam bang, orchestra a blazin' action cue.

Unreleased Williams is more likely to be Johnny than John -- and when it is John, there's usually not a lot there that will readily appeal to the bulk of his fans.

Man, I do not know what to buy, this or Images!

If you're planning on getting both eventually, I would go with Images, just because of its marginally higher sell-out risk. (In reality, I don't expect either one to sell out any time soon.)

Nice, this seems much more up my street than Williams' other comedy heavy early film scores. I might have to wait until after the next payday to order, but the order is coming.

Sound clips are nice, but don't make me jump out of my chair with praise.

And I have to say the main theme doesn't inspire me one bit. Probably going to give this one a miss. And no, it's not because of the score's age (I bought Nightwing from Varese because I liked the clips).

I'm a huge fan of the Lost in Space music , so if this was written in the same year...

It's one of the most obscure Williams scored movies , seriously I didn't remember it existed

Really I'm acting most out of my completist side. I didn't listen to more than a few clips, and it was just out of curiosity. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the score, but I'll keep it no matter what. Although that Lost in Space comment worries me--I find those scores to be somewhat of a bore.

WOW! I never thought that this one would come out! I think I caught the very end of it one day on TV and remember the theme being good and wondering why it never saw an LP or CD.

Ordered!

Williams started to conduct his own scores as a way to "protect" them from lesser conductors who left him very unsatisfied early in his career. I wonder if this score was one of them.

Williams started to conduct his own scores as a way to "protect" them from lesser conductors who left him very unsatisfied early in his career. I wonder if this score was one of them.

Maybe if Zimmer started to conduct his own scores I would be more satisfied with them.

Yeah, buy Images. Even Stravinsky himself would have been hiding and shivering under his sheets in sheer terror after hearing this. It needs a parental advisory label that warns "This soundtrack contains explicit insanity".

Maybe if Zimmer started to conduct his own scores I would be more satisfied with them.

Giacchino, too.....Oh wait, I already am satisfied with them. BTW, I didn't see him conducting the academy stuff, how did he do? Should he start conducting his own scores?

As far as this release, awesome! Someday, I will be glad this was released, when I am able to buy it.

Yeah, buy Images. Even Stravinsky himself would have been hiding and shivering under his sheets in sheer terror after hearing this. It needs a parental advisory label that warns "This soundtrack contains explicit insanity".

Now I realize why I like it...

Only 29 posts about this release at FSM , most of them expressing disappointment it's not another Goldsmith title . It won't sell out anytime soon

Only 29 posts about this release at FSM , most of them expressing disappointment it's not another Goldsmith title .

Are we reading the same thread? Almost everyone who posted expressed pleasure with the release and/or their intention to order it. Despite all your continual huffing and puffing, these days there is no rank anti-Williams bias at the FSM board.

I was exaggerating.

It's amazing how unknown this score was and like it poped out of thin air. when we speak of unreleased "early dramatic effort " here we usually mention Story of a Woman