Who edits (or destroys) the scores for TPM and AOTC?

ursulasdaddy

I was just wondering who is responsible for finding the music to 'fit' the battle music for AOTC and even TPM. With TPM, it was rearranging what was there. But for AOTC, the music editor took music from TPM and cut and pasted different tracks from to assemble a half-assed score for the climactic fight. Kudos to John Takis for figuring out this confusing mess. Who does this for George Lucas. I thought this would be more time-consuming than just leaving Williams' original score with Lucas' original edit.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever does it is sick and has no talent or artistic sense whatsoever. I have said many times that Star Wars would be a boring and barely successful sci-fi film without Williams music. I severely doubt that TESB or even ROTJ would have ever been made without Williams' contribution.

That being said... in TPM and AOTC, some great music is composed and recorded... and then completely destroyed.

Think about it. You have the most popular and in-demand film composer in history. You use one of the world's greatest orchestras. You talk about how the music works so effectively... like telling the story in a silent film.

THEN you completely piss all over it where it counts... IN the MOVIE!

Who is responsible for this? They should be drwn and quartered! Who ever does it is RUINING the Star Wars franchise. And this comes from someone who has LOVED every Star Wars film to date!!! But I love the scores more... and it's a shame what the editors have been doing to them.

This is why I want Speilberg to direct E3. The chances of him annhialating the music are slim to none, and he would certainly spruce up the storytelling for the regular viewer. So far, TPM and AOTC tell the story, but only Star Wars fans know what's going on. Everybody else seems to be confused...

-Chris

I recommend to Lucas that ANY ONE OF US ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD could have done a more professional and coherent job of music editing than what was done in TPM and AOTC!!!

Even if the movie was edited differently than what Williams composed... aonly an IDIOT can mess it up THAT bad!

Where's Spielberg when you need him? He would more likely than not edit the scenes TO the music! Damn, that'd be HOT!!!!!

-Chris, Who just noticed ursulasdaddy's name... LOL

The people responsible are the editor , the director, the music editor.... the list goes on. It was a huge shambles!

I didn't attack anyone, I just said it was a shambles!!!! And it was!!!!!!!!!

That being said... in TPM and AOTC, some great music is composed and recorded... and then completely destroyed.

-Chris

Hmmm,to this day I still maintain that the really offensive edits in TPM were in the Pod Race and around 7 or 8 minutes of the Naboo battle(mainly The Battle Continues on the U.E.).In AOTC,things are far worse.

K.M.

I agree.

I don't mind TPM's music edits (except the Pod Race and the Naboo battle, which were poor to horrid) either. That's where they are offensive.

AOTC has some pretty severe edits. Some of which make no sense. They make TPM's edits look like a great job.

I would forgive them if they simply released all the music... but according to that snippy response from a Sony rep... they won't even do that.

Ben Burtt (editor and sound designer) and Lucas: two enemies of Johnny fan-dom.

Director - who thinks Burtt needs to get slapped up by a tuba

I agree.

I don't mind TPM's music edits (except the Pod Race and the Naboo battle, which were poor to horrid) either. That's where they are offensive.

AOTC has some pretty severe edits. Some of which make no sense. They make TPM's edits look like a great job.

I would forgive them if they simply released all the music... but according to that snippy response from a Sony rep... they won't even do that.

I agree that the edits in AOTC were more extensive, but they were far more closer to fitting than TPM's.

"Anakin Defeats Sebulba" tracked into the Gungan/Droid battle. Laughable.

The worst: the swashbuckling blast of Anakin's theme as the Padme, Sabe, Panaka, and the rest are trapped by droidekas. Wow, great stuff, editors!

I'd rather have a few bad edits than very extensive edits.

I'd rather have edits that do work, except for the discerning ears, than edits that blatantly suck for anyone who's not deaf.

Isn't there such a thing as letting the composer decide how it should be edited at the end?

Yes, let the composer edit the film to the music!

Otherwise, how will the composer bring himself to chopping up his own music? :)

"Anakin Defeats Sebulba" tracked into the Gungan/Droid battle. Laughable."

The Conveyor belt sequence,Laughable.

K.M.