RIP Michael Jackson

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god. The more of this ABC special I see the more upset and angry I am getting. Is this rubbish really the best way ABC can find of talking about the life and death of Michael Jackson? Martin Bashir had his "Judas" moment of glory several years ago. Why the hell is he being allowed to repeat it tonight of all nights? Have a little respect for Christ's sake.

So it comes down to this, the man, the child, the accused has died, and you cannot change the channel without Michael, or Farrah, on the tv. Those that hated and despised him, those that love him, they are all stunned. The King of Pop dead.

But is he really. His transgressions are history, but his music is not. One only has to listen to hear, to understand that in strictly musical and entertainment wise this world has lost something unparalled. His music, his video's, his incredible athleticism on the dance floor..., what a loss. I freely admit to hypocrisy, though many will not. I was not a fan of his personal life and felt his money prevailed over justice, but that is in the past, as I said it is history, and I can forgive him. I sincerely hope that there is an outpouring of love for this troubled man, and the gift he has left us. If you think tonight is something the circus only will grow. This is the tiny spark. In the days to come Michael will dominate the headlines and we will remember. Lets remember the best.

So it comes down to this, the man, the child, the accused has died, and you cannot change the channel without Michael, or Farrah, on the tv. Those that hated and despised him, those that love him, they are all stunned. The King of Pop dead.

But is he really. His transgressions are history, but his music is not. One only has to listen to hear, to understand that in strictly musical and entertainment wise this world has lost something unparalled. His music, his video's, his incredible athleticism on the dance floor..., what a loss. I freely admit to hypocrisy, though many will not. I was not a fan of his personal life and felt his money prevailed over justice, but that is in the past, as I said it is history, and I can forgive him. I sincerely hope that there is an outpouring of love for this troubled man, and the gift he has left us. If you think tonight is something the circus only will grow. This is the tiny spark. In the days to come Michael will dominate the headlines and we will remember. Lets remember the best.

Eloquently and well said Joe. I'm shocked and saddened. I did not care for the way his was vilified by the media and always thought there was more to it than met the eye. Some serious therapy would have been good for him but as a musician, he was legendary.

RIP Michael

This was a huge shock, I still don't really know what to say. I suppose I should say RIP, to send my fond farewells to a legend of the music industry. And so I will, instead of speculating over the darker side of his life that we'll now never fully know.

There have been better dancers, better songwriters and better singers than Jackson. But he was pretty much unparalled in those 3 areas combined. A true legend and a true artist. His work will live forever

Despite all the negative things in recent years there's no doubting the man's influence on the music industry, or the fact that he still has millions of dedicated fans. RIP

I agree with this.

I never really liked him as a person, but there's absolutely no doubt of how he has been a great artist. He has really been the "King of Pop" in his best years, it's too bad that he went to such a decline. Respect to a great artist, may he finally rest in peace now

I also think that censorship is one of the worst walls that still resist in this world (at least this virtual one, the internet) that should be free and open to anyone's different opinion. That's so bad.

I think that Michael Jackson is similar to Jackie Chan in one respect. I'd never wish what made them such amazing performers on anyone. Being turned into show ponies at such a young age. But that's what made him such a good entertainer. So while you're highly entertained, you're also feeling pity that anyone could be so well trained, almost like a robot.

Hope you come back in Blue Ghost form for one final dazzling music video, Michael Jackson. That would be awesome. Happy 100th birthday, Jackie Chan.

As many have said all ready despite what the horrible choices he made over the last few years, you can not help but realize the level of impact he made on the music community. He definitely became an icon and will always be an icon like Elvis and such. Even if you do not like his music.

Yes I think Elvis Presley might be a good comparison. I don't like his music (apart some few famous songs), and I don't care how bizarre is the way he died, but it's clear how big it's the impact he left on the Music world, even after so many years after his death (same with Beatles and later John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain, ect)...you may like or not like his music, but he has been great, without a doubt. Now if you think about it, it's been so many years since we haven't heard about Michael Jackson for his music alone (well, apart his last record which was irrilevant and really far from his golden days), but unfortunately for his troubles and problems. But still, his music has never been forgot and never will. That happens only to Icons, no metter what some "extras" might there be along with it.

I didn't get the Jackie Chan similarity, though. Well, he's great in his industry, he'll be remembered as an icon, a great actor and master of martial arts...but why Jackie himself? Bruce Lee seems more fitting if my interpretation's right.

His music, his dance, his talent will last forever.

He chanced the course of pop music, of music in general.

His life is a great study with much to learn from it. Chapter's will be devoted to him, and rightly so. A force is gone.

No, the books will just go on and on about how much of a god he is (like the media is now). Any silver lining that could have been taken from other events will be completely destroyed, because nobody can learn from the mistakes of "the King" if he never made any.

His life is a great study with much to learn from it. Chapter's will be devoted to him, and rightly so. A force is gone.

No, the books will just go on and on about how much of a god he is (like the media is now). Any silver lining that could have been taken from other events will be completely destroyed, because nobody can learn from the mistakes of "the King" if he never made any.

Mentally he was a very troubled man. He lived his life the only way he knew how, apparently free from the kind of concerns and responsibilities most people develop in their teens/ early twenties. The only mistake was that no one tried to help him.

His videos are on MTV and VH1. This is starting to make me sad. :(

Music videos on MTV???!!!!!! :lol:

Can't remember the last time I saw one there.

His videos are on MTV and VH1. This is starting to make me sad. :(

Music videos on MTV???!!!!!! :lol:

Can't remember the last time I saw one there.

At least they replaced all those awful reality TV shows with quality music for a day!

Just when I wanted to finally upgrade my Thriller LP to a CD, JB Hi-Fi jacks up the price.

Try Play's Jackson sale

I don't really know too much by him, and I just noticed I don't have a single song of his in my collection. Still, while not so unexpected (I somehow had a feeling something would happen before that superhuman tour), this seems strangely "heavy".

Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but here goes.

I became fascinated with Michael Jackson as a teen in high school. I stumbled on the "Making of Thriller" VHS, which introduced me to his music, his videos, and a bit of his past. I began researching him incessantly, presenting speeches and papers on him in school (I'm sure my teachers loved that). I already have an obsessive personality, but this became a giant part of my life, during a very influential/transitional period.

Of course I love his music and his videos (who else could have made me appreciate dance like he did?). But I also became fascinated with the man, and with finding the truth in all the controversies and shadows surrounding him. I took the road less traveled and became convinced of his innocence. I defended him and maintained his innocence to the last. Yes he was eccentric; yes he made some odd choices. Being thrust into the limelight as young as he was and in such an epically massive way as he was will have some bizarre repercussions. I still maintain his innocence, still feel compelled to defend him. I think he was criminally misrepresented and vilified by the media, which in turn fed an increasing distrust and even paranoia of the press. It's a shame what that cycle does.

As weird is it sounds (and has always sounded), I love Michael Jackson. I tend to bond and identify with public figures that are misunderstood and mistreated, and never more so than with Jackson. I feel so sorry for him. He lived his whole life in a fish bowl, and his last 15-20 years were just plain crappy.

I hope that he found some peace in the end. Bless you, Michael.

I understand why mentions of his "dark past" are mentioned in the same breath as condolences. But don't believe everything you read or hear. "Just because you read it in a magazine or see it on a TV screen don't make it factual."

First ever music video I recall watching was Billie Jean. Very affecting. It lingered on in my head for a time I even dreamt it so vivid it was.

Then there was Beat It and found myself suddenly with a miniaturized version for 3-4 year olds of his famous red leather jacket. Loved that jacket.

Thriller. The single. That gatefold album. The long form video I refused to watch for fear of scaring the bejeezus outta me - it was terrifying but it was also my very fave song (and eventually, video) for the longest time. The Making Of vid was endlessly fascinating as well. MJ's music was the only music I knew and it was brilliant.

And everything in between from my wee years to third year high school at the dance, his music marked my life.

Grew distant and the appreciation faded and waned post HIStory to the point of apathy with his new album and tv special in 2001.

And then yesterday. Another positive influence on me, a part of my childhood, a part of me - lost. I've only to remember that joy and good times I felt watching listening dancing and singing along to much of his work and think, man he did good. A tangible real unified the masses universal truths good.

RIP there. Thanks. That you soar higher now than before. As Peter Pan over Neverland.

At least they replaced all those awful reality TV shows with quality music for a day!

In the case of the local radio stations playing MJ music, they've temporarily replaced the bad music with actual good music. Shocking.

2lxwoci.jpg

"I see many things. I see events within events. I see the demise of a very talented artist, but a wonderful legacy of music left behind. I see coming emulation of the bizzare series of events which followed the death of Lady Diana in 1997. I see a similar hypocrisy from the same establishment and sections of the public who delighted in raising their idol and then seemingly equally delighting in smearing their idol in every way afterwards, and now moving onto a reversal situation of gushing praise and adoration along with - "He was just misunderstood". I see a shrine (akin to Diana's one) being built somewhere in the United States to Mr Jackson. I see coming conspiracy theorys about his death. I see novels. I see record CD sales. I see myself looking up that

on YouTube, and finding it still has the effect it had on my brother and myself in the 80s. It was very evocative on a walkman. I did not say this. I am not here".

In the case of the local radio stations playing MJ music, they've temporarily replaced the bad music with actual good music. Shocking.

Ain't that the truth...

There used to be a good radio station in my area. Classic Rock 94.7, then one dreaded morning I tuned in for my drive to school and learned it had turned into 94.7 Fresh FM "playing today's freshest music!" ;)ROTFLMAO

And I felt a special bond with those DJ's! Now I have to resort to BIG 100.3 which plays classic rock but also some other stuff, so it's probably around 50/50 for a good song. Not to mention the overwhelming commercials on radio today. It seems every time I'm driving I get to listen to a couple songs and then 15 minutes of commercials.

Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but here goes.

I became fascinated with Michael Jackson as a teen in high school. I stumbled on the "Making of Thriller" VHS, which introduced me to his music, his videos, and a bit of his past. I began researching him incessantly, presenting speeches and papers on him in school (I'm sure my teachers loved that). I already have an obsessive personality, but this became a giant part of my life, during a very influential/transitional period.

Of course I love his music and his videos (who else could have made me appreciate dance like he did?). But I also became fascinated with the man, and with finding the truth in all the controversies and shadows surrounding him. I took the road less traveled and became convinced of his innocence. I defended him and maintained his innocence to the last. Yes he was eccentric; yes he made some odd choices. Being thrust into the limelight as young as he was and in such an epically massive way as he was will have some bizarre repercussions. I still maintain his innocence, still feel compelled to defend him. I think he was criminally misrepresented and vilified by the media, which in turn fed an increasing distrust and even paranoia of the press. It's a shame what that cycle does.

As weird is it sounds (and has always sounded), I love Michael Jackson. I tend to bond and identify with public figures that are misunderstood and mistreated, and never more so than with Jackson. I feel so sorry for him. He lived his whole life in a fish bowl, and his last 15-20 years were just plain crappy.

I hope that he found some peace in the end. Bless you, Michael.

I understand why mentions of his "dark past" are mentioned in the same breath as condolences. But don't believe everything you read or hear. "Just because you read it in a magazine or see it on a TV screen don't make it factual."

Maestro, I feel exactly the same way. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't been vocal about my relationship to him since I was around 17, it became too painful when classmates and people around me would offend me with horrific comments, jokes, and even go as far as to question my intelligence for supporting him. Although my responses were always to the point, factual, source-orientated, and with a heartfelt sincerity the mocking persisted for so long that I shut up and never ever mentioned his name to anyone for years. It may have been weak of me, but it says something about the terrible celebritry injustice he has suffered the last third of his life, and how many otherwise intelligent and rational thinking individuals subliminally and also culturally absorbed the media imposed notion that Michael Jackson was a freak and did not deserve any respect or even his privacy. Had the distasteful, mocking comments about him surfacing on the internet and tabloid newspapers been about anyone else than Michael Jackson, criminal charges of verbal harassment could and likely would have been made. I was so happy to see Norwegian politician Jan Simonsen emphasize that point yesterday, and saying he wishes he had been brave enough to nominate Michael Jackson for a Nobel peace prize years ago. He was also the man responsible for nominating Bob Geldof. I just hope his name will finally be rested now, I loved him too.

Even though his own work was superb, I still find that his work in the Jackson 5 was tops.

I mean, how you can not dance to blame it on the boogie? It's impossible, if you ask me.

And that sound definately shows up in the equally dancable work of Jamiroquai.

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity

And I want you back. That cheeky joyful face was still recognizable even in era of Bad, etc.

Jackson 5 - I want you back

SHMON!! ROTFLMAO

I downloaded "The Essential Micheal Jackson" which is currently the only thing I'm listening to. Considering I never have anything besides Film Scores on my iPod, this is a departure.

Go ahead and add Queen while you are at it.

"Nick", who actually likes Queen and does not realize why so many hate them

I feel the same way. I love their music, but some people seem to have an almost irrational dislike for this group. Say what you will, but "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a genius ballad.

And on that subject, if there are any brass aficionados reading I have a question.

Normally for my community band i organize one brass quintet piece, well this year we're allowed 2 pieces. We're doing a pops show this summer so I got us a nice arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue and I'd like to do "Bohemian Rhapsody" as well - however I cannot find an arrangement of it and I don't have the time to do one myself. Does anyone know of a brass quintet arrangement of this piece?

Go ahead and add Queen while you are at it.

"Nick", who actually likes Queen and does not realize why so many hate them

I love Queen as well. I think some people don't like it because Freddy Mercury was gay, so they think listening to the music somehow makes you gay.

Bohemian Rhaposdy

Killer Queen

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Bicycle

Fat Bottomed Girls

One Vision

Don't Stop Me Now

The list of great songs goes on and on...

...It's a Kind of Magic

The Show Must Go On

Hammer to Fall

Under Pressure...

It goes on and on. I agree with you about the gay association, I think a lot of people deny themselves access to a lot of great music based on that. I know of people who refuse to listen to Elton John because of that. Of course, you could play some Tchaikovsky for them, and they wouldn't think that was bad...