• 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Not familiar.
  3. 3. Which Star Wars prequel score is YOUR favorite?

• TPM
    • AotC
    • RotS

Score: 5

Movie: 4

TPM

I've come to think that this is probably JW's weakest prequel score (still 5 stars, though). AotC is terribly edited in the movie, but the music itself is not to shabby at all. RotS, on the other hand, has no really good standalone pieces, except maybe for "Battle Over Coruscant."

I prefer "Duel of the Fates" and "Across the Stars" over "Battle of the Heroes." By far. And I hardly ever listen to RotS these days.

What's your opinion of this?

Score: 4 stars. Some great stuff when Williams isn't on underscore autopilot. Bad performances in the end credits, also. Film: 1.5 stars. It fucking sucks!

I'd say TPM is the best prequel score. It's not entirely focused, but it's awesome music at every moment. Williams also got everything right with his leitmotif.

Score: 4 stars, I agree with what Henry said and a lot of the unreleased material is of course the highlights of the score.

Movie: 3, it's alright certainly got its flaws but not the best of bunch.

For the favorite Prequel score I chose The Phantom Menace.

Hmmmm, was the movie really that bad?

Sure, it was predictable, but... I don't think it was a bad movie! The visual effects were certainly most impressive, if nothing else.

The visual effects were as overdone and plasticky as usual. Bad dialogue, bad acting, bad pacing, bad editing. Hell with it all! I'll concede that it has a few interesting moments, like the Emperor's moment of "compassion" for Vader and the whole birthing sequence.

I am so glad you asked, Josh. My opinion can be found in this somewhat recent poll.
My answer can be found in the poll we just did in February:

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...hl=Revenge+Sith

The film is a 2.5 and TPM is the best prequel score.

Yes, you can refer to that thread for my thoughts as well.

The movie....3.5. There's points that I really, really like, and others that don't work so well. Ian McDiarmid is a joy to watch for most of it. It's actually my 3rd favorite Star Wars film after the first two.

Score: 4.5, one of JW's best

Film: 4. It has many technical flaws, but for me there's so much to like about it (much like KotCS)

For best prequel score it'd be between RotS and TPM. I voted for the former, but it could go either way.

4.5 for the score. Not as good as TPM but pretty close.

2.5 for the movie. Not very good, only (parts) of the ending are really worth while.

The Phantom Menace is my favorite prequel score, definitely.

I haven't watched the movie in a long time and I don't have any of the "expanded" scores so I'm giving it a 4.

I'd say TPM is the best prequel score. It's not entirely focused, but it's awesome music at every moment. Williams also got everything right with his leitmotif.

Agreed

Score, 4.5, marked down from 5 for a few minutes of droning. I'm feeling generous for the film. 4.5. Very tragic and well done comic book pulp. Favorite prequel? Momentarily AOTC, because I love the pulpy quality that captures the feeling of the original Buck Rogers comic strips in a unique way. The stagnant monkhood throughline is pretty fascinating for a taoist like myself.

I'll give the score 4.5...4 is tempting, but I'd feel too bad. I really do like the score, even though it never manages the levels of excitement heard in certain other Williams scores.

For the film...urgh. Tough. Umm...I thought it was in many ways better than its two predecessors, but it certainly had its issues. Plenty of 'em. Uh...3.5, final answer.

I'll vote for TPM as my favorite prequel score, but I like all three. They just have different strengths.

Score, 4.5, marked down from 5 for a few minutes of droning. I'm feeling generous for the film. 4.5. Very tragic and well done comic book pulp. Favorite prequel? Momentarily AOTC, because I love the pulpy quality that captures the feeling of the original Buck Rogers comic strips in a unique way. The stagnant monkhood throughline is pretty fascinating for a taoist like myself.

This ain't a comic book adaptation.

That's not what he said/meant.

I like AOTC because it presents all the Jedi as a bunch of self-serving jerks and hypocrits.

Sort of the basic idea, yeah. Hypocrites, especially. They're blind and tied into the beaurocracy and they break their own code in an epic manner by becoming soldiers. Anakin is their come-uppance. I used to be bothered that they were so blind, but that's sort of the point.

That's not what he said/meant.

Correct, sir.

Film: 4. It has many technical flaws, but for me there's so much to like about it (much like KotCS)

What are some of the flaws, IYO?

Vader's "Noooooooooooooo" is simply unthinkable with the early Lucas.

What about luke's when Ben is killed AND when Vader reveals his fatherhood AND when vader threatens about turning leia t the dark side?

Wow i had not realised but every movie has a NOOOOOO moment. TPM has obi wans as qui-gon's is struck by maul and AOTC has qui-Gon saying it when Anakin kills the tuskens.

:P

Vader's "Noooooooooooooo" is simply unthinkable with the early Lucas.

What about luke's when Ben is killed AND when Vader reveals his fatherhood AND when vader threatens about turning leia t the dark side?

Wow i had not realised but every movie has a NOOOOOO moment. TPM has obi wans as qui-gon's is struck by maul and AOTC has qui-Gon saying it when Anakin kills the tuskens.

:P

Eh, those are good "nooooooo" moments, Luke Skywalker. They were natural and befitting and therefore they evoked the right emotional response from the audience. Vader's "Nooooooo" was rediculous and silly, like it was meant to be funny, only it wasn't. Vader's "Nooooooo" belongs in The Simpsons. Even my kid laughed with it. With this shot, Lucas created the cheesiest moment in film history. Mel Brooks would steal it if he was still making movies.

the score is a solid 2, thanks to the music from Star Wars.

The pitifully bad and ill named Battle of the Heroes doesn't even belong along side the great Star Wars themes.

The movie is 1.5 at best.

Its horrible, the beginning is spastic mess of quick edits and illogical action.

It gets slightly better, but not much.

Yes, well done for telling us idiots how it really is.

It's OK, once your frontal lobes develop you'll understand everything. Until then, have fun being an idiot!

It's a 2 star album at least. Complete score is long overdue. I don't care about the movie anymore and TPM is the better score.

Long overdue?

The score is just 4 years old?

Is there a place where they appreciate it more?

The forums at Star Wars.com?

I sometimes wonder... is this jwfan.com? It's more like jwcritics.com!

you asked for opinions what do you expect. Not everyone here thinks ever freaking John Williams scores is a masterpiece.

You of all people wouldn't know quality if it walked up and spit in your face.

you asked for opinions what do you expect. Not everyone here thinks ever freaking John Williams scores is a masterpiece.

You of all people wouldn't know quality if it walked up and spit in your face.

That wasn't a complaint, you ass!

Score and Movie both 5 for me.

I truly love RoTS. The film had exceeded my high expectations on every level and

i really think it is on par with Episode IV.

Only TESB is better.

Regarding the score i like TPM better but RotS nevertheless is a 5 star score for me.

Mainly because there are a lot great unreleased cues which should have been

on the OST with some powerhouse renditions of the force theme and the unbelievable good

Padmes Procession and Building the Death Star track.

thanks Josh, runination of this once really good board.

what will be your next score poll that you'll give 5 stars too?

thanks Josh, runination of this once really good board.

Welcome, ass!

Score and Movie both 5 for me.

I truly love RoTS. The film had exceeded my high expectations on every level and

i really think it is on par with Episode IV.

Only TESB is better.

Regarding the score i like TPM better but RotS nevertheless is a 5 star score for me.

Mainly because there are a lot great unreleased cues which should have been

on the OST with some powerhouse renditions of the force theme and the unbelievable good

Padmes Procession and Building the Death Star track.

Well, these are really good tracks, IMO.

The Revenge Of The Sith

Anakin's Betrayal

Anakin's Dark Deeds

The Immolation Scene

Grievous Speaks

I should listen to them more often...

you should change your name from Josh500 to Josh5stars....

So you're proud of scaring people away? :huh: Anti-social much?

Do you have anything intelligent to say here at all?

Why are you here? To fill up your empty life?

If my sole claim to fame (were I to have any) were making hundreds of useless polls, having an entire forum hate me, indeed having a poll where people voted on how irritating I am, being banned, and then coming back and resuming the status quo, I think I would ponder my life long and hard before accusing anyone of lacking intelligence.

If my sole claim to fame (were I to have any) were making hundreds of useless polls, having an entire forum hate me, indeed having a poll where people voted on how irritating I am, being banned, and then coming back and resuming the status quo, I think I would ponder my life long and hard before accusing anyone of lack of intelligence.

Bwaaaaahahahaa. Seems like I hit a nerve there.

Anyway, do or think what you want. I am simply here to discuss the music, and not for any other reason. If you don't share my love for polls or/and JW, just don't come here (the way you keep doing).

If my sole claim to fame (were I to have any) were making hundreds of useless polls, having an entire forum hate me, indeed having a poll where people voted on how irritating I am, being banned, and then coming back and resuming the status quo, I think I would ponder my life long and hard before accusing anyone of lack of intelligence.

Bwaaaaahahahaa. Seems like I hit a nerve there

I will admit 75% of the reason I don't frequent here as often as I used to is because of Josh500.

Good!

+

I am simply here to discuss the music, and not for any other reason.

=

Hmmmmmmm...something does not fit!

If my sole claim to fame (were I to have any) were making hundreds of useless polls, having an entire forum hate me, indeed having a poll where people voted on how irritating I am, being banned, and then coming back and resuming the status quo, I think I would ponder my life long and hard before accusing anyone of lacking intelligence.

I don't hate him, and I don't even look at who made the polls. Are they all made by the same people? Didn't even notice. Who cares? If I feel like voting or opining, I will. Otherwise, I skip the thread.

I think RotS the movie is a bit underrated here... it might be the best of the prequels. That or, granted, TPM.

It's funny, just a few years ago, TPM was voted worst of the prequels. AOTC and Sith were seen as consecutive steps in the right direction. Maybe that 1999 Episode 1 anticipation has created nostalgia. Just like I said, eventually, the nostalgia factor will up their ratings. One by one.