Our very own Marcus Paus kicks some ass..

BLUMENKOHL

I had not seen/heard of his theme for Global Battle Of Bands in a long time...and it has aged like fine wine. How dare we not keep up with this guy!

That's up there with some of the best music I've heard in the last 10 years. Now if only other composers learned to use an epic chorus this well. wink.gif

So, Marcus, what else have you been up to? Share some new works with us?

AKA. The Official Marcus Paus Appreciation Thread.

So, did he post here at one time? What was his screen name?

That youtube piece is pretty sweet! Is it available anywhere?

Awesome stuff Marcus, bravo! Definitely hear the JW influence.

Marcus is one of the most insightful posters here. Sadly, with talent like that I don't expect to see him around here much. :-)

I don't really like the main theme itself with its pretty bland use of sequence, but what he's done with it is more than decent, although it's such vintage rip-off Williams-esque (especially ending the melody on the lower 7th note complete with flourishing harp -- I can't put my finger on which theme this especially sounds like, but it's probably all of them lol): the only thing that was missing was one of those 'delayed bass note' thematic recapitulation. And maybe an extra boom-tsss!

Having said that, I agree that it is some of the best and most solid orchestral writing I've heard by the non-greats this past decade. Although I love what some of the Japanese are doing these days.

PS is this the Marcus dude who beat me out in that Composers Competition, for the Indy 4 score? Or was that a different Marcus altogether? Or is my memory shyte?

Figured it out! Sounds a helluva lot like the Nixon turbulent theme - Turbulent Years.

No wonder Marcus hasn't been around. Tough audience. I'm impressed. Come on guys, it's not like it is easy to pull that off. Great job, Marcus. It doesn't sound like a ripoff of anything. Maybe we should rename the forums to www.meh.com

And we should remind ourselves that Jonny had a nickname, "Lil Dimmie", for sounding like Dmitri Tiomkin to some insider naysayers. None of the greats ever invented a completely new style. They wrote in a school of sound, and did it better than most. And those composers attributed to certain styles are not actually the inventors. Carriers of the torch are welcome.

No wonder Marcus hasn't been around. Tough audience. I'm impressed. Come on guys, it's not like it is easy to pull that off. Great job, Marcus. It doesn't sound like a ripoff of anything. Maybe we should rename the forums to www.meh.com

Yeah, you're right, we should just keep our opinions to ourselves and stop replying to posts on public messageboards.

Is Marcus the dink in the booth with the long hair and goatee?

Yeah, you're right, we should just keep our opinions to ourselves and stop replying to posts on public messageboards.

Eh, there's no talking to ya.

So stop doing it. Just keep repeating "groupthink" to yourself.

How about you shove it up your ass.

And we should remind ourselves that Jonny had a nickname, "Lil Dimmie", for sounding like Dmitri Tiomkin to some insider naysayers. None of the greats ever invented a completely new style. They wrote in a school of sound, and did it better than most. And those composers attributed to certain styles are not actually the inventors. Carriers of the torch are welcome.

:lol:

Great job, Marcus. It doesn't sound like a ripoff of anything.

He did do a great job, but it does sound like Williams.

None of the greats ever invented a completely new style.

Maybe not a COMPLETELY new style that is 100% original, but most if not all of the greats had their own identifiable sound, aka a style.

I had not seen/heard of his theme for Global Battle Of Bands in a long time...and it has aged like fine wine. How dare we not keep up with this guy!

That's up there with some of the best music I've heard in the last 10 years. Now if only other composers learned to use an epic chorus this well. ;)

So, Marcus, what else have you been up to? Share some new works with us?

AKA. The Official Marcus Paus Appreciation Thread.

Oh, Blume, how very sweet of you! :lol:

It's been a while...

Well, I'd love to share some of my recent efforts. Most have been in the field of concert music, which is where I do most of my work, as well as in opera.

Recently, I've scored my first full length feature film, "Upperdog", which hits Norwegian theaters (and some select European theaters, eventually) in August.

The soundtrack will be commercially released on the MTG label. The trailer for the film is up on YouTube as well, and all the music featured is from the score, albeit a bit hacked up and uncomfortably pasted together.

Other than that, a work of mine for choir and string quartet, "The Stolen Child" (on a Yeats poem) will be recorded by Ensemble 96 (which won a Grammy in 2006, I believe) and the Oslo String Quartet, for probably a 2010 release on the 2L label.

My three solo cello suites are also in the process of being recorded, alhough I'm still not sure what label will ultimately put it out. There's been talk about Hyperion, Chandos and BIS, but we'll see....

I'm afraid I'm not too savvy, nor too quick, about posting things of mine. My MySpace-profile hasn't been updated since 2005 either, but I'm on there with two chamber works, for those who might be interested.

Thanks again for your kind interest!

Best,

Marcus

How about you shove it up your ass.

I second that. Charlie, if you could do better, than Jesse and I will desist, but given that we are the composers here and you aren't, maybe a touch of humility would be in order. Marcus' piece is to me an homage to Williams and while the theme does not knock me out, the orchestration is top notch. It is not so easy to write for an orchestra.

Is Marcus the dink in the booth with the long hair and goatee?

Aren't you the same dink that got banned for hitting on pre-teen girls here? If so, who let your sorry ass back in here?

Marcus, congrats on this and your other achievements. It looks like I am getting a symphony orchestra to perform one of my pieces this fall and I'm going through my piece making sure everything is in order. It's tough but rewarding work I find.

Hey, it's very expertly done. I think Marcus has the talent and skill to go far. I would like to hear more of his voice and less of Williams's, though.

I would like to hear more of his voice and less of Williams's, though.

Yes. It is good enough for Hollywood IMO. I like the little theme there, even if it is a little Giacchinoish. Reminds me of Star Trek.

Hey, it's very expertly done. I think Marcus has the talent and skill to go far. I would like to hear more of his voice and less of Williams's, though.

I wish more composers could write like Williams. Marcus's piece is the closest thing I've heard to Williams' sound since.... well, Williams.

It would be a blessing for the industry if there were more people capable of writing like that.

So it would be great if everybody had the exact same style? I suppose Williams is the final perfection of music to which all composers, present and future, should aspire.

I wish more composers could write like Williams. Marcus's piece is the closest thing I've heard to Williams' sound since.... well, Williams.

Killzone 2 by Joris De Man sounds like Williams in a Star Wars-esque/militaristic way.

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that the soundtrack to "Upperdog", a Nowegian film that I scored this past spring, is now out, and available through iTunes, Amazon, etc.

All the best,

Marcus

Greetings everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that the soundtrack to "Upperdog", a Nowegian film that I scored this past spring, is now out, and available through iTunes, Amazon, etc.

All the best,

Marcus

Nice work Marcus. Great string writing. In iTunes however, it lists all songs by you. Did you compose those quasi Mozartian piano cues too or did iTunes get the track listing wrong? I like the ornamental writing BTW. Keep up the great work. I would post this on some other forums too so you can get some feedback from fellow musicians. Sometimes this place can be tough for no real reason.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Ha, ha...it would be hilarious if you had posted a thread with that name yourself, though!

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up and keep up the good work (and do more film scores!). Norway needs more composers in film with your type of background!

Greetings, everyone!

I'd like to point out that the title of this thread isn't mine, but it seemed like a relevant thread in which to post this:

I'm very, very pleased to announce the launch of my website: www.marcuspaus.com!

It features lots and lots of audio, as well as a fairly extensive worklist (not yet complete, though), and more.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Cordially,

Marcus

Don't be so modest, Marcus - there are many fans of your music here (myself included), and this deserves its own thread so we can all find it easily. New thread, I say, new thread!

Thank you, all of you, for being so wonderfully generous and kind! (And encouraged by your remark, I've started a new thread, Ludwig!)

Missed this thread the first time around (I'm sorry to say). That's a phenomenal piece of music. If I could compose and orchestrate like that, I'd be over the moon--critics and know-it-alls be damned.

So I'm off to look into your new website. . . .

Again, thank you so much for the very kind comments; they mean a lot to me, and I'm so glad you're enjoying the contents of the new website!

• 1 year later...

Terrific piece! I especially enjoyed the tinkly, free piano near the beginning, and the interplay of the marimba and timpani. I've also never visually seen a timpani concerto before, and sometimes the timpanist reminded me of someone working at a desk who's been told that he has to meet 100 deadlines for the next day and has no idea where to begin. Really great performance though! 

Congratulations!