Film Scores as Lullabies

Greetings all,

The other evening in putting my 7-month old daughter down for a nap, I found myself humming some film score themes, specifically "Princess Leia's Theme" and "Ilia's Theme," after running through some of the standard lullabies.

I was wondering if others have used film themes for the same purpose and, if so, which?

Cheers,

Don

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings all,

The other evening in putting my 7-month old daughter down for a nap, I found myself humming some film score themes, specifically "Princess Leia's Theme" and "Ilia's Theme," after running through some of the standard lullabies.

I was wondering if others have used film themes for the same purpose and, if so, which?

Cheers,

Don

One of the clichés of the horror genre is childlike music box (source) music. Poltergeist features something along those lines.

Some of Williams's themes for the Home Alone films and Hook would do nicely, as well.

I myself have never hummed (or whistled) anything for the purpose of lulling someone to sleep, though.

Yeah, "Carol Anne's Theme" from Poltergeist is what I thought of immediately. One of the loveliest Goldsmith melodies I've heard--it would be nice to have a concert suite of it without the giggling, though. Freakin' eerie.

Some of Williams's themes for the Home Alone films and Hook would do nicely, as well.

"Granny Wendy" from Hook.

How about Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter? :P

Besides, Somewhere in my Memory comes to mind...

And don't forget Fluffy's Harp, beautiful one...

"Yoda's Theme" from The Empire Strikes Back

"Luke and Leia" from Return Of The Jedi

"Anakin's Theme" from The Phantom Menace

To me, those are quiet, tender melodies that would work as lullabies, the first one I mentioned especially.

My vote would always go for Bedtime Story from Jerry's Capricorn One.

Granted, after 1:33 the music is more likely to make your child think there is an evil spirit in the room.

But the first one and half minutes are lovely.

The scene is actually a mother comforting a child, reading Dr Seuss, after the 'apparent' loss of her husband.