Harry Potter Widescreen DVD - Region 4

Hi!

For those of you who don't already know, Warner's have chosen not to release HP in widescreen in region 4!! I was extremely frustred to hear this today when I went into the shop to purchase my copy :evil: ... I'm still tossing up whether to purchase the pan and scan...

I heard a rumor that the Region 2 release is actually coded to play in Region 2 and Region 4 players. Can anyone confirm this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Get your player fixed so it can play all regions.

2. This is weird - this means more work for Warner - and I haven't seen many 4:3 releases on DVD at all. Sometimes they feature both 16:9 and 4:3, but 4:3 only is really, really rare.

It is true, however again there's a catch unfortunately.

I discovered my previous Dutch (but in English naturally) Harry Potter DVD was mentioned as both a region 2 and 4 DVD. However, I suddenly realized I had the wrong DVD, I accidentally bought the pan and scan version in stead of the widescreen version.

So I returned mine and got myself the widescreen. After reading your message I realized Harry Potter in Holland is both in region 2 and 4 and so I looked at my new DVD to confirm. Suddenly I can no longer find the region 4 marker on my DVD, unless I was mistaken in the first place. In other words, I think only the pan and scan here in Holland is in region 2 and 4 while the widescreen is only in region 2, but am not entirely sure of this.

Hope this helps...not much of course.

The scenes in the great hall and at the Mirror of Erised (among others) must look horrible in Pan & Scan. But what's even worse: There will be a Pan & Scan release of FOTR, too! Luckily a Widescreen release as well, but I still find it ridiculous to butcher any movie, and particularly masterpieces of cinematography.

Marian - who has the Canadian Widescreen Potter.

This is absurd, Pan and Scan DVD's! You hardly ever seen them anyway.

I know, it's totaly absurd. This was the reason for my mistake. I accidentaly bought the pan and scan cause I thought quality DVD's always come in widescreen, boy was i wrong. At first I didn't even notice it while playing the DVD until my brother pointed it out...doh. :oops:

It is indeed rediculous. My mother bought me the DVD, but she went to a large store, not a CD/DVD store. The Warner monkeys (related to the Sony monkeys perhaps?) decided to give the large stores the P&S version ONLY. So naturally, I got the wrong one, but I was able to return it and get myself a proper version.

I hopped by our CD-store yesterday and all widescreen versions were gone, but they had tons of Pan & Scan...

BTW, since both HP and LotR are shot on Super 35, there is less image loss than usual, but it still is total BS.

Marc, confused at Warner and Newline's stupidity.