John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only mentions part 2 in that interview. But that's better than nothing - go Heyman!

Or it could mean that Part 1 is cleared, but that Part 2 may conflict with Williams' other projects (Tintin, presumably).

Only mentions part 2 in that interview. But that's better than nothing - go Heyman!

Or it could mean that Part 1 is cleared, but that Part 2 may conflict with Williams' other projects (Tintin, presumably).

That's what I am thinking. If so, perhaps Williams could just compose the 2nd half and have someone, like William Ross again, adapt/conduct it? I don't like that Heyman said it was a "big if", but the fact that he hasn't written it off for everyone yet really gives me hope. What makes me really happy is that he didn't say something like "well, Yates is the director so if he wants Hooper back, then so be it." I really hope that won't happen. Anything but that.

It's better than nothing, but if there is going to be a direct continuity between Part 1 and 2 (I assume it will), then it will be strange to have different composers in charge. It's going to be ridiculous when in Part 2 Williams will start establishing new themes for the events and character introduced in Part 1.

LOL @ the comments on that page. I don't mind if someone prefers Hooper's scores over Williams', but at least have a logical reason for doing so (especially if you're going to state your reasons) -- saying that Hooper's music "suits the darker tone of the films" suggests that you have no idea the first film wasn't very dark at all, the third film HAD a very dark score, and Williams hasn't had a chance yet to write a truly dark score for a truly dark Potter film.

To deny him that chance so that we get more whirring nature-documentary string runs because "it's heroic!" and more lame-ass string elegies for pivotal moments, is absurd.

I mean, it's freakin' JOHN WILLIAMS.

Wasn't everyone writing this off as an impossibility not 2 days ago? I actually think Hooper's style would suit the wandering, aimless style of Part I, whereas Williams should more than definitely score the final battle in Part II. Of course, having Williams for both would be fantastic: imagine the Seven Potters chase with Williams' music backing it!

I think that's the case.

Karol

Considering the fact Tintin is the animated feature Williams will probably write and record music earlier in the process than usual. So there is a chance. He only needs to stay alive.

Karol

Considering the fact Tintin is the animated feature Williams will probably write and record music earlier in the process than usual. So there is a chance. He only needs to stay alive.

Karol

And in good health condition.

If I understood it like most of you did, that Part 1 is not an issue for Williams, but Part 2 is, presumably clashing with Tintin and/or Lincoln or whatever else is on Spielberg's plate, I'm just confused as to why they wouldn't give a left nut to get him for even ONE of the films, first or second? I mean, if composer and director mix-ups is already established in the franchise, what's the big deal about getting Williams to blast out amazing themes for one film and have remnants of greatness drift through the other?

I guess the unfortunate Yates is probably quite content with his Hooper pooper and/or wouldn't want him to be easily outclassed so blatantly as via back-to-back film score comparisons, and deep down knowing how awesome Williams is, has probably just spewed out a proposition that the composer he works with has to be available for both scores, praying that Williams isn't available for one of them, but if he were, well, he probably realizes how much better off the films will be, and could probably conjure up an excuse to his pal Hooper like "Well, we're going with Williams only because it's musical bookends. I love you Nic."

I mean, it's freakin' JOHN WILLIAMS.

They need to credit him that way on the film.

I lol'd. Was your sig always that?

I would not mind if Williams would return. I would not mind at all. Hooper and Yates have hit the rock bottom with the music. Williams could resurrect the whole thing for the finale if they would let him.

Some people seem to think along these lines: Harry Potter movies will be successful regardless of who the composer is. So executives won't really care whether it's John Williams or Nicholas Hooper or whoever.

My respone is: That couldn't be farther from the truth. Hell, there is ALWAYS someone responsible for everything and watching the figures. Hell, I'm sure there's even someone responsible for hiring the caterers. (And if the food tasted bad during the last production, out he goes!) So if they have a slight chance of getting John Williams back (and with him an Oscar nomination and maybe a quarter of a million more copies of albums sold and positive soundtrack reviews), whoever's responsible will try to get him. There is no question.

This "they won't care" attitude is ridiculous.

WOW :) yes. This sounds to me as though Harry Potter 7 (Part 1) is a foregone conclusion.

He has time for that, yes.

If he can clear his schedule for Harry Potter 7 (Part 2) as well, then he will do the whole thing. If not, he will either do only 1 or not do it AT ALL.

I think it's also a good sign (however subtle) that Heyman didn't mention Nicholas Hooper AT ALL.

I mean, he could have said something like, "Nichoals Hooper did fantastic work, BUT..."

The fact that he wasn't even mentioned may suggest that he was a HUGE disappointment, although Heyman will tactfully keep his mouth shut.

If he can clear his schedule for Harry Potter 7 (Part 2) as well, then he will do the whole thing. If not, he will either do only 1 or not do it AT ALL.

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding the quote.

Isn't it ALL or NOTHING, so to speak? They'll only bring back Williams if they can sign him for both films?

williams should be writting the new themes and concert versions of scenes now that he has a lot of spare time* in order to have the work half made and then be more schedule-free

*i know he surely is bussy writtting other things :)

Either I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding the quote.

Isn't it ALL or NOTHING, so to speak? They'll only bring back Williams if they can sign him for both films?

Well, like some other people here said, he COULD be doing 1 himself and 2 as a collaboration.

That's why I said: "he will either do only 1 or not do it AT ALL."

williams should be writting the new themes and concert versions of scenes now that he has a lot of spare time* in order to have the work half made and then be more schedule-free

*i know he surely is bussy writtting other things :)

What's the rush?

HP 7/2 comes out in December 2011! That's in 2 1/2 years!

Hey, look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_...Hallows_(films)

All of a sudden it says Music by John Williams.

I swear to God, it didn't say that yesterday! :)

well, if he is goign to be bussy in 2010-2011 and not compose HP at all, i would do my homework as soon as i could...

Or at least fleshing out things.

Well, doing it 2 and a half years beforehand seems to me a little like going overboard. But I know what you mean.

I still think the quote implies that they'll bring Williams back if he's available for the second one, inferring that he's available for the first one but that the composer of choice whoever it is will NEED TO BE FULLY AVAILABLE FOR BOTH (according to the director's wishes I presume).

No?

So there won't be a composer only doing one, John Williams, Hooper or otherwise.

I still think the quote implies that they'll bring Williams back if he's available for the second one, inferring that he's available for the first one but that the composer of choice whoever it is will NEED TO BE FULLY AVAILABLE FOR BOTH (according to the director's wishes I presume).

No?

So there won't be a composer only doing one, John Williams, Hooper or otherwise.

That's not sure. We can't interpret that from what he said. (And also most likely, Heyman doesn't know himself yet.)

I dunno I think it's pretty clear, and it sounds like Heyman knows what he's talking about. Read carefully:

Q: "Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?"

A: "A lot of it will depend on his schedule for 7 Part II.

He doesn't say "Yes he's available for 7 Part I so that'll likely go ahead, but we're not sure about 7 Part II"... but rather he says that his involvement hinges upon 7 Part II.

There's nothing to interpret there... a HP producer says his involvement in the Deathly Hallows (any of it) hinges upon 7 Part II. Therefore, if they're not going to have Williams back for just one, then NO composer will be back for just one, unless this is a bizarro universe whereby John Williams isn't the pinnacle of living film composers.

This is good news! I hope it works out so Williams can be the composer for both parts. Say what you will about his output in recent times, but he's still infinitely better than Hooper as far as I'm concerned, and the Potter films have already inspired him to write two of his last great scores. Maybe we're in for one or two more masterpieces!

I dunno I think it's pretty clear, and it sounds like Heyman knows what he's talking about. Read carefully:

Q: "Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?"

A: "A lot of it will depend on his schedule for 7 Part II.

He doesn't say "Yes he's available for 7 Part I so that'll likely go ahead, but we're not sure about 7 Part II"... but rather he says that his involvement hinges upon 7 Part II.

Hmmm, well yes, you're right. Still there MIGHT be a slight chance that he does PART I only, or does PART I himself and PART II as a collaboration.

After all, if JW has time for HP part 7/1, why SHOULDN't he score it?

ALso, the fact that he said "a lot of it will depend on blah blah" makes it slightly likely, IMO. Otherwise he'd just have said, "It depends on his schedule for 7 Part II."

But let's not speculate too much. Let's hope for the best. :)

This is good news! I hope it works out so Williams can be the composer for both parts. Say what you will about his output in recent times, but he's still infinitely better than Hooper as far as I'm concerned, and the Potter films have already inspired him to write two of his last great scores. Maybe we're in for one or two more masterpieces!

Hey, I love "Fawkes the Phoenix" and "The Chamber of Secrets" and "Dobby the House Elf" and "The Reunion" and "Flying Car" and ... :lol:

Can't he engage himself for Stanley And Iris 2? I need more lyrical and reflective Williams. Who needs another action mickey- mousing score?

Can't he engage himself for Stanley And Iris 2? I need more lyrical and reflective Williams.

Lincoln.

No, that's going to be a political score, a Williams in a serene patriotic mode.

Can't he engage himself for Stanley And Iris 2? I need more lyrical and reflective Williams.

Lincoln.

No, that's going to be a political score, a Williams in a serene patriotic mode.

Well, political doesn't preclude lyrical and reflective. :)

:)

Well, to each his own but I fall asleep with all these action mickey-mousing scores. No, Breathy, they don't sound "fun" or "exciting", they sound empty.

Lincoln.

Well, political doesn't preclude lyrical and reflective. :lol:

Perhaps he goes lyrical and reflective for a few seconds but I know Williams, this is going to be serene and patriotic. Is Tim Morrison still playing the trumpet these days?

Alex

Perhaps he goes lyrical and reflective for a few seconds but I know Williams, this is going to be serene and patriotic. Is Tim Morrison still playing the trumpet these days?

Alex

I'm sure he is.

When I think about it, I prefer patriotic over reflective or even lyrical.

The main themes from JFK, BOTFOJ, and Patriot are all great.

Well, to each his own but I fall asleep with all these action mickey-mousing scores. No, Breathy, they don't sound "fun" or "exciting", they sound empty.

It was aimed at this thread in general, and more specifically at the rampant speculations already ensuing.

:lol:

It was aimed at this thread in general, and more specifically at the rampant speculations already ensuing.

Well, this is jwfan.com, isn't it?

No, it's really jw&mgfan.com!

No, it's really jw&mgfan.com!

mg stands for? :lol:

I find it perverse that some people are actually actively hoping that JW will NOT return.

The latest trailer's awful trailer music just made me think John Williams needs to come back to town to kick some ass in HarryPotterville and show how it's done. His impact on overall quality of what's considered acceptable is very underestimated.