John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

Strange that nobody here seems to think that maybe David Heyman, seeing that the guy was obviously a John Williams fan, said what he said just to be polite...

;)

But in all seriousness, I think it's all about JW's schedule. If it allows him to do it, he will. If not (if he has to do Lincoln and Tintin at the same time he would be working on DH), he won't. Not even he can work on 3 scores simultaneously. I think it's as simple as that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see this being as frustrating as trying to decipher Conchord's Indiana Jones press releases...

;)

With so much anticipation, Williams is sure to fail (in the eyes of most MB members). I just think back and laugh when I remember the lukewarm reception each Williams Potter score got. The irony is that this score will be called a failure because it gets the same collective "meh" from Williams addicts as those other scores did, but it will be claimed that they did not live up to the glory of the original "classics".

I have it on good authority (yes, this is your basic "I know someone who knows someone" story, but in this case I know the guy who heard it to be trustworthy and I know who his source is and that he should definitely know what he's talking about) that Williams condition for scoring DH is that he can record in LA.

I think this is very likely. As he gets older, probably JW doesn't like anymore to make long trips across the ocean to record a film score. I guess we can also officially say goodbye to the (remote) possibility of him returning to Europe for a series of concerts...

However, going OT a bit, anyone has info if maybe Williams will score Chris Columbus' new film, Percy Jackson & The Olympians?

A few choice quotes from the responses to the Leaky Cauldron article

It seems there is balance in the FORCE.

As much fanboyism as we have here there is as much hate and dislike toward john williams in the 'real' world.

Really? Leaky Cauldron = real world? ;)

I guess I can see why he wants to record in LA, since isn't that where he now resides? And perhaps since it is two films basically back-to-back, perhaps he wouldn't want to make a London trip for that long. But if this really is the case, why would it be a problem for the producers to grant this request? In a way wouldn't it also cost them less for him to do it in Los Angeles? Or am I forgetting something...

Well, I was sorta hoping Williams would agree to do DH regardless which orchestra he uses. However, since they'll be basing post-production in the UK -- wouldn't it be slightly cheaper to book London session players (or a London-based ensemble) rather than 100+ L.A. union players and choir? I'm not going to complain if Williams' scoring DH is contigent on recording it in L.A., though.

I hope that his schedule hinges on DH part 2 means he already said 'yes' to Part I.

With so much anticipation, Williams is sure to fail (in the eyes of most MB members). I just think back and laugh when I remember the lukewarm reception each Williams Potter score got. The irony is that this score will be called a failure because it gets the same collective "meh" from Williams addicts as those other scores did, but it will be claimed that they did not live up to the glory of the original "classics".

Well, after 3 years any JW score gets a 5 star rating after all here. ;)

More groupthink, huh? I hate that as well.

Damn, if williams record in LA, we may end having complete scores for the 1st three and remain with a OST released climax...

But well, better that than nothing (aka hooper)

A few choice quotes from the responses to the Leaky Cauldron article

As much fanboyism as we have here there is as much hate and dislike toward john williams in the 'real' world.

Really? Leaky Cauldron = real world? ;)

;) oops, nope!

But i have seen this kind of criticism outside the cauldron...

Damn, if williams record in LA, we may end having complete scores for the 1st three and remain with a OST released climax...

But well, better that than nothing (aka hooper)

Wow. We dont even know that JW will do this! ;)

Really? Leaky Cauldron = real world? :P

:lol: oops, nope!

But i have seen this kind of criticism outside the cauldron...

Yep, there are a lot of people outside, film music fans who actually think that John Williams is an overrated hack, whose music sounds the same.

The question is....

when will this thread reach page 99?? :P

At least we finally have something to ponder obsessively.:P

More groupthink, huh? I hate that as well.

These are sad comments, but even if DH gets a "collective 'meh' " from fans, it won't stop them from buying the c.d. of it at 9 o'clock on the day of its release! Even if it is not as "good" (whatever that means) as his earlier stuff, J.W. is still composing quality music, and fans of film music deserve to hear it. On a personal note, I think that, along with Minority Report, POA represents some of JW's best work EVER, and, at the very least, is his best score since J.F.K. If there is a problem, it is that he has got himself into a bit of a rut. This is not his fault. As the process of making films has changed, along with audiences' expectations of what makes a good film-not to mention things like demographics, focus groups, test screenings, etc.-the "art" of film making becomes diluted, and emasculated to the point where any "movie" that doesn't conform to the Michael Bay School Of Film Making (complete with music by Steve Zimmer) is branded a failure. This has been reflected in four of the films scored by JW recently, namely Eps. I-III, and KOTCS. Times change, and, film making changes, and, like it of not, JW is obliged to compose what the director wants for his/her film. It's either that, or get someone else. If DH is a "meh", it will not be the fault of JW. Although I did not like the idea of him not scoring Superman II, I admire him for being honest enough to say that he could not work with its (replacement) director. This decision was, I'm sure, a sad one for JW, and deprived The World of a potentially brilliant piece of work, which could have surpassed its predecessor, as EMP did SW. If anyone wants a ready answer to the question: "will DH be meh?" they have to look to themselves and begin to question the way that they gladly gobble up some of the detritus that is served up to them week after week. Only then will the precess of making films change, and only then will the audience go from being a second-class one, to a first-class one, and get the films, and the film music that it deserves.

I guess I can see why he wants to record in LA, since isn't that where he now resides? And perhaps since it is two films basically back-to-back, perhaps he wouldn't want to make a London trip for that long. But if this really is the case, why would it be a problem for the producers to grant this request? In a way wouldn't it also cost them less for him to do it in Los Angeles? Or am I forgetting something...

Well, I was sorta hoping Williams would agree to do DH regardless which orchestra he uses. However, since they'll be basing post-production in the UK -- wouldn't it be slightly cheaper to book London session players (or a London-based ensemble) rather than 100+ L.A. union players and choir?

It should be obvious by now that Williams dislikes travelling about as much as he likes trees.

Also, keep in mind I don't know if an LA recording was Williams *only* condition. All I've heard is that he was approached and will not do it if it's not recorded in LA. I guess that means he'll do it if it can be done in LA and if it fits his schedule. But that's just conjecture.

I think he meant that John Williams having "a go at" Emma Watson creates very unnerving mental images....

Hey, all I meant was a date. Don't you guys go reading into things now...

Also, keep in mind I don't know if an LA recording was Williams *only* condition. All I've heard is that he was approached and will not do it if it's not recorded in LA. I guess that means he'll do it if it can be done in LA and if it fits his schedule. But that's just conjecture.

I'm sure he can fit it in his schedule, provided Spielberg or Lucas doesn't pop up with any "surprise" projects during the next two years (TinTin and Lincoln aside). Honestly, I think Williams could conceivably work on both Potter films if he wants -- David Yates likes working with composers early on during the process, and filming for the final two Potter movies don't wrap until spring 2010. The producers could mail Williams the scripts and have him work on ideas, stream him rough cuts of scenes to score and that way if something pops up -- he can send Ross to conduct the sessions in L.A. or London.

But that's just the optimistic side of me talking. Williams' involvement has gone from nonexistent to a good possibility in my eyes. But has Williams been ruled out of scoring Part I already (in favor of Hooper or another composer) or is he a lock? I wish David Heyman had spoken further about that.

In general he likes to avoid reading the script/book before he sees the film, but he has made exceptions. Actually, Sorcerer's Stone was one of them.

Yes, considering she's my age and JW is in his seventies.

Didn't stop Hugh Hefner!

Yes, I fail to see the problem.

In general he likes to avoid reading the script/book before he sees the film, but he has made exceptions. Actually, Sorcerer's Stone was one of them.

That's not an exception, he read the book well before he was signed to do the movie.

That's not an exception, he read the book well before he was signed to do the movie.

And he was originally interested in working on the film because he had read the book, I believe. Same case with Memoirs of a Geisha. That's different from looking at the film in pre-production/production.

They're filming right now back-to-back. Part I is supposed to come out in 2010, with Part II to follow in 2011. '11 is the same year as Tintin, right?

Yes. However, Tintin is supposed to come out late October and early November worldwide and the U.S. will get it on December 23, 2011. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One will be released domestically and worldwide on November 19, 2010. The second half will get a similar release strategy on July 15, 2011.

Plenty of time for Williams to work on both HP and Tintin at the same time. *crosses fingers*

You fail to see the problem of a 77 year old having sex with a 19 year old?

They're both consenting adults. The bigger problem is that he's married. Perhaps I'll start a new thread on the subject.

They're filming right now back-to-back. Part I is supposed to come out in 2010, with Part II to follow in 2011. '11 is the same year as Tintin, right?

Yes. However, Tintin is supposed to come out late October and early November worldwide and the U.S. will get it on December 23, 2011. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One will be released domestically and worldwide on November 19, 2010. The second half will get a similar release strategy on July 15, 2011.

Plenty of time for Williams to work on both HP and Tintin at the same time. *crosses fingers*

Depends on how he would score it. Both parts at the same time, or Part I and then Part II. I suspect the latter, which means he would have to be working on Part II early-mid 2011, probably around the same time he would be working on Tintin.

JW should be involved from early on, like Hans Zimmer :P But doesn't he like to have a somewhat final version of the film?

He scored the rough cut of Prisoner of Azkaban in March 2004. He actually worked with Cuaron during filming and composed "Something Wicked This Way Comes" for the Hogwarts choir to sing.

Depends on how he would score it. Both parts at the same time, or Part I and then Part II. I suspect the latter, which means he would have to be working on Part II early-mid 2011, probably around the same time he would be working on Tintin.

I hope Williams can do both parts -- if not one, then have him score Part II. It's almost mandatory, if he can get his schedule aligned with Heyman's.

JW should have played Hammond in Jurassic Park. Somehow I can see him pull it off

Goldsmith was in Gremlins, so maybe John Williams should do Joe Dante's next movie. Dante would give him carte blanche.

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care :P) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care :P) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

The movie(s) is/are currently filming.

Maybe she like, olda men.

:P

David Heyman is being interviewed by the Cinemagic guy right now about all the Harry Potter movies (they are playing 3 score cues from each film in between discussion so even though it started at midnight they are only just starting to talk about POA now...). Anyway, I'm going to bed, but maybe at the end of the interview they'll ask him about DH....