John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... in which case it probably won't look like Wall-E.

Unfortunately, digital skin and eyes often keep digital characters stuck in Uncanny Valley, making them a bit creepy with their realistic movements but just-not-quite realistic faces (see The Polar Express and Beowulf).

Fortunately, if they keep the cartoon look of the characters (which I am sure they will), that shortcomings of digital technology won't be a problem.

Didn't I mention that?

I still have no idea what to expect from this though. I'll wait to see the first trailer to get excited.

Usually that mean's a high quality theme if he composes parts of the score beforehand. Hook and PoA were great scores. One reason for that surely is that he

took more time for his musical ideas and themes.

I can see that happen for Tintin too and it also means it will be easier for him to score Deathly Hallows if

the theme parts of Tintin or at least the main theme is finished already :)

Normally, I'm not big on JW returning to a series he has already left. But in this case, when the alternative is starting to seem like nothing at all, this is very hopeful news. Also the series has become darker and the score promises to be a very different score from his early Harry Potter scores (1 and 2) so there should be opportunity to cover some new territory in the manner that Azkaban did to a certain extent.

- Adam

Well, I just wanted to know how the movie will look like (if there's been any indication whatsoever so far). Will it look as realistic as King Kong? Will it look semi-realistic like Wall-E? Will it look cartoonish like Polar Express?

I'm really hoping for the Wall-E kind of visual approach.

It probably won't be as detailed as King Kong. I'm expecting something along the lines of Beowulf.

Hi all, I'm new here. Been a fan of maestro Williams for a long time and really excited at the prospect of him hoping to come back to score Deathly Hallows. Fingers crossed! ;)

Don't mention you're originally from the HZ Forum, they'll crucify you!

Hey, that's great to know there will be a Tin Tin preview shown at Comic Con! I hope Williams premieres the main theme of the score with the preview!

Don't mention you're originally from the HZ Forum, they'll crucify you!

Yeah I am... big fan of both Williams and Zimmer!

*puts on bulletproof jacket* ;)

I always thought Hooper would do the responsible thing and bow out for Williams to return. Good man, you have my respect!

First we all demand his head on a stick, and then when he steps down, not even for Williams, we all hail him as a good man. Classic JWFan. Nothing has changed in Williams situation, there's still the scheduling conflict. For all we know James Horner could end up scoring the last two films.

What's classic JWFan is this sort of generalization; of clumping the entire community together at the hands of what but a few members have said or their opinions.

Don't say that... you'll cause a rift in the JWFan continuum! Those are polar opposites ;)

For all we know James Horner could end up scoring the last two films.

We wouldn't want that, believe me. Horner took The Spiderwick Chronicles as an alternative apparently, and said he'd just give the world another Casper score if put at gunpoint.

I hope this thread has died out purely because people fear high hopes being dashed rather than a general disinterest in the awesome prospect.

I hope this thread has died out purely because people fear high hopes being dashed rather than a general disinterest in the awesome prospect.

Five hours since last post = died out? Seriously?

It hasn't died out, and it is an amazingly awesome prospect. There is very little standing in the way of us getting 4 hours of new JW music, and if it is as inspired as his Prisoner Of Azkaban music, oh boy, it will kick ass.

It hasn't died out, and it is an amazingly awesome prospect. There is very little standing in the way of us getting 4 hours of new JW music, and if it is as inspired as his Prisoner Of Azkaban music, oh boy, it will kick ass.

:thumbup: Its an awesome prospect.

Don't say that... you'll cause a rift in the JWFan continuum! Those are polar opposites :thumbup:

For all we know James Horner could end up scoring the last two films.

We wouldn't want that, believe me. Horner took The Spiderwick Chronicles as an alternative apparently, and said he'd just give the world another Casper score if put at gunpoint.

Unfortunately we are 20 years past Horner's prime when he would have been perfect for HP.

I have a suspicion that it will be...assuming the adaptation keeps the good material from the book, I imagine John Williams will deliver a wonderful "swan song" for Harry Potter.

I've always wanted John to finish this project, only he can give it the proper final bow.

Agreed. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like 1 and 3 a lot less if they hadn't received the amazing Williams score treatment...and 2, 4, and 5 a lot more if they had. That may not be a fair perspective on the films, but I can't help it. Music can really influence my impression of a film, just as films can be pretty good at influencing my impression of their music.

Agreed. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like 1 and 3 a lot less if they hadn't received the amazing Williams score treatment...and 2, 4, and 5 a lot more if they had. That may not be a fair perspective on the films, but I can't help it. Music can really influence my impression of a film, just as films can be pretty good at influencing my impression of their music.

Big fat ditto.

Although I don't get why people can dislike Prisoner of Azkaban period. That was one amazing and beautiful film that had its own identity, was fresh and still felt fully grounded in the established visual Potterverse. But I have no idea about its allegiance to the book.

Goblet of Fire had a score on par with the John Williams scores. It wasn't as good as SS or PoA, but I can't see Williams writing anything better either.

There wouldn't be a "PHAT TRUMPET-LADEN BRASS CHORD!!!!!" at every scene change. Well, at least, if Williams weren't in Star Wars mode.

I still don't understand why people love Prisoner of Azkaban so much, its the ugliest shot film of the series, while this new one is by far the most beautifully shot of the 6 films. Its georgeous to look at.

Goblet of Fire had a score on par with the John Williams scores. It wasn't as good as SS or PoA, but I can't see Williams writing anything better either.

I don't understand how it could have a score that was on par with SS and PoA yet it wasn't as good as them. Typo? :thumbup: Anyway, even JW in his so-called "autopilot" mode would have been better than what Doyle created, if you ask me. I don't hate the score or anything, but it's too annoyingly bombastic in a lot of cases. Granted, the waltzes and so forth are mostly delightful, and I'm grateful for those. But a lot of the score just bugs me. Hooper's work is bland, but it doesn't aggravate me the way some of Doyle's does. The scores to SS and PoA are just...delightful, through and through, even when they delve into very dark material, and I'm sure Williams could have continued to provide the series with superb scores if he'd been part of it all.

Doyles score is the worst of the 6 films, it has moments, but its mostly a dog.

Doyle's is indeed the worst. I do enjoy a lot of it, but I hate cues that just sound like aimless brass bombast. And the male chorus is very cheesy.

You people sound like broken record players. One of you picks up on "brass bombast" and everyone else jumps on. Talk to me when you develop good taste.

I still don't understand why people love Prisoner of Azkaban so much, its the ugliest shot film of the series, while this new one is by far the most beautifully shot of the 6 films. Its georgeous to look at.

I think PoA looks gorgeous. Columbus' films have that big glossy look while PoA has its distinctive gritty feel. GoF was kinda bland, ditto OoTP. Can't comment fully about HBP yet but it looks like all the color has been taken out....again.

In retrospect I actually like Doyle's score...a lot actually. I place it well above the Hooper scores now. I don't find it aimless at all, rather I think everything is quite well developed. I think it's evident he was trying to make the most of his assignment and was probably pretty proud of it.

You people sound like broken record players. One of you picks up on "brass bombast" and everyone else jumps on. Talk to me when you develop good taste.

:thumbup: I've been saying that for a while...besides, I hardly see how you can be criticizing us because we share an opinion, if anything I would think that adds credibility. Just because you enjoy being bashed on the head with some of the most straightforward, overdone, self-important, and overly dramatic cues I've ever heard, doesn't mean we must.

Just because you enjoy being bashed on the head with some of the most straightforward, overdone, self-important, and overly dramatic cues I've ever heard, doesn't mean we must.

I'm sorry, you're saying this against Doyle in defense of John Williams? You have with your statement dismissed John Williams' most famous works.

*Sigh*

Go run along with Bowie and Datameister and listen to your sophisticated brooding music, and look at your squiggly modern art and pretend you have an eloquent opinion and credibility. :D Bunch of Californians. That's unfair to my home state. Bunch of San Franciscoans. :thumbup:

I thought Doyle's score was okay when it was released, if somewhat disappointing after PoA. But now with Hooper's works out there....its risen quite a bit in my opinion.

In retrospect I actually like Doyle's score...a lot actually. I place it well above the Hooper scores now. I don't find it aimless at all, rather I think everything is quite well developed. I think it's evident he was trying to make the most of his assignment and was probably pretty proud of it.

You people sound like broken record players. One of you picks up on Doyle's "quality music" and everyone else jumps on. Talk to me when you develop good taste.

You people sound like broken record players. One of you picks up on Doyle's "quality music" and everyone else jumps on. Talk to me when you develop good taste.

You are so cute when you fail at being humorous. Here's a doggy treat.

Just because you enjoy being bashed on the head with some of the most straightforward, overdone, self-important, and overly dramatic cues I've ever heard, doesn't mean we must.

I'm sorry, you're saying this against Doyle in defense of John Williams? You have with your statement dismissed John Williams' most famous works.

First off, I'm not saying this in defense of anybody. This is just a normal criticicsm of the GoF score, I don't see why I must be comparing it with Williams' work on the series.

Secondly, there's a big difference between bombastic and "overdone, self-important, and overly dramatic." That's not to say John Williams has never been guilty to committing the offense, but if you're talking about scores like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc., I would say that they generally avoid it. And even when they do, at least they are a nice listen aside from the film. For instance, "Reunion of Friends" is one giant ball of cheese, but I like it for two reasons: 1. it fits the film ending perfectly, as that was just a giant ball of even richer cheese and 2. it is a fantastic listen aside from the film (and I do realize there is some debate over whether Williams or Ross wrote the extended ending, but regardless of who composed it I think it is a perfect example of overdone bombast that works, at least on some levels). Cues like "Golden Egg" (I don't have the score on me at the moment but I think this was the one) are a pain to listen to outside the film and they really drag the film down. It feels like Doyle's failed attempt at capturing the bombast of Williams' success.

While Doyle's action music may not have been the most compelling bombast ever, I do feel that he did manage to capture the feeling of a big tournament. Think the Olympics.

Go run along with Bowie and Datameister and listen to your sophisticated brooding music, and look at your squiggly modern art and pretend you have an eloquent opinion and credibility. [snip] Bunch of San Franciscoans.

Oh, you've got me pegged, all right...the fact of the matter is, I can't stand most sophisticated brooding music, squiggly modern art, and San Francisco. :thumbup: But go ahead and have fun assuming your taste is worth more than that of anyone who disagrees with you. It'll help you fit in really well with a lot of folks around here. :D

Hmm. Goblet of Fire? Pretty good score. It has nothing to do with Williams' scores stylistically, but oddly I love Doyle's transformation of Hedwig's theme. Very suave, European. "Harry in Winter" is repetitive in the context of classical forms, but then it sets a mood. There's some interesting unreleased music that should have gone on the album instead of those ridiculous Jarvis Cocker songs.

I guess the key difference between GoF and Order of the Phoenix is that while OotP has some great moments, I feel like Hooper just sort of stumbled into them without any clue what he was doing. Doyle, however, is a pro; there's no doubt.

Firstly, you need to stop insulting other people in lieu (or in fear?) of artistic debate. Second, Williams is never straightforward -- there is always something brewing underneath or some hidden complexity that fleetingly engages the ear. Overdone? Sure, Williams is guilty of this on occasion. Overly dramatic? I hope you're not accusing Schindler's List of having overly dramatic music...

But this discussion is beside the point, we're talking about the Potter scores, and it wasn't just Hooper's light tinkling crap that made Doyle's work seem unnecessarily weighty and plodding. LITERALLY EVERY 10 MINUTES there was a sudden outburst of phat brass chords to beat us over the head with a "hey!! this is drama!! this is the END!! run away."

I wouldn't complain so much if it was the Deathly Hallows, but come on. Just poor musical decision making throughout that score, except for the very very good Voldemort confrontation sequence, but even that suffers from no Patronus music or even a hint of the old Voldemort themes.

I should mention I do like the score to GoF on a whole, but I don't think it comes close to Williams' or Hooper's contributions to the series.

OK so we've learned that Datameister has a sense of humor...

And that Indy4 and Bowie would love to sleep with John Williams. :thumbup:

I hope you're not accusing Schindler's List of having overly dramatic music...

On a serious note, I would actually go so far as to say that score is a great album but works to the detriment of the film.

FSMO: You may not be at liberty to say this, but are you planning on returning on the final films? Has that been decided?

NH: I actually decided I wouldn’t. It impinged on my life and my family too much to do it again. We managed to cope with two of them, and I just felt it was time to hand it on. I’ve always felt in my heart that a certain composer whose name you know well should do the last one anyway, since he started it off. As for the penultimate one, I don’t know. But sadly, no. I felt I needed to withdraw at this point.

I'm definitely in the "retrospective appreciation of Doyle" camp. I watched PoA, GoF and OotP back-to-back the night before I saw the new one and I really did enjoy Doyle's work in the film. Being the one written just after JW's departure definitely tainted the score for me at first, but now after hearing Hooper's average contributions I appreciate the bombastic, rich and over-the-top approach he took. This is, after all, Harry Potter. I know everyone wants the movies to be weighty, broody and dramatic, but at the end of the day they're a kids fantasy series. Give me something with imagination over Hooper's drab "realism" approach any day.

On a serious note, I would actually go so far as to say that score is a great album but works to the detriment of the film.

All of Williams's polythematic scores work to the detriment of the film.

All of Williams's polythematic scores work to the detriment of the film.

As opposed to any other composer's polythematic scores? That leaves about 17 film scores in your opinion that don't tarnish their respective films.