John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

How about a few weeks at least after the release of the movie? Not sure why so many people presume anyone who sees the films must have read the books.

I don't presume that everyone has read it. I did presume however, given the widespread phenomenon that Potter is, that mention of such events would no longer be considered spoilers. I didn't manage to escape spoilers before I read the books myself. In any case, I'll admit it was my bad and am sorry.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind. I am not a Potter fan at all, so I don't care that much, on the other hand I don't like knowing such things before I see the movie (and, of course, I did know about Sirius and Dumbledore). I am still ignorant about Deathly Hallows, though, so I am trying to avoid fake track names and stuff.

I hope Williams mixes orchestra with chorus for the grand battle scenes. That would be totally awesome.

Kinda like Battle of the Heroes and Duel With the Basilisk?

Personally, I was thinking more something in the style of the first hal of "Anakin's Dark Deeds", but I guess I won't dislike at all the final result :blink:

Nicholas Hooper is bowing out of the series. He will not return for the final two Potter films.

He thinks John Williams should score them.

I know because he told me.

Nicholas Hooper is bowing out of the series. He will not return for the final two Potter films.

:blink:

The guy was humble... or realistic afterall

I really hope Williams returns to the franchise finale.

Look what you did guys! You made Hooper cry and bow out! I am telling mommy!

News! From a solid source, no less. Was he cursing our names? ;)

Here's a quote from my interview:

NH: What began with merciless insults and name-calling evolved into being spat on while walking down the street. When they finally began threatening to kill my family members, I acknowledged that the JWFAN community had accomplished their mission: I had to quit the Harry Potter franchise.

Way to go, jerks!

NH: What began with merciless insults and name-calling evolved into being spat on while walking down the street. When they finally began threatening to kill my family members, I acknowledged that the JWFAN community had accomplished their mission: I had to quit the Harry Potter franchise.

Way to go, jerks!

;)

I see he got the letter I...er, Mark sent him.

Way to go, jerks!

untill i read jwfan.net i thought that comment was for real...

How about a few weeks at least after the release of the movie? Not sure why so many people presume anyone who sees the films must have read the books.

I don't presume that everyone has read it. I did presume however, given the widespread phenomenon that Potter is, that mention of such events would no longer be considered spoilers. I didn't manage to escape spoilers before I read the books myself. In any case, I'll admit it was my bad and am sorry.

I don't really care, either. I'm just looking out for others who like me only watch the films but also care about spoilers.

I saw the movie and i have to tell you its good that Hooper will leave the Potter Franchise. The music in the film is even worse than on the soundtrack. Nevertheless the film is

good and the score couldn't ruin that much.

It is mixed too low, partly tracks from OOTP are used and there are only three instances of Hedwig's theme in it, all in the first 30 minutes of film. Two statements are on the soundtrack

and the third statement is played during the Hogwarts Express scene and contains also the B-theme.

But after it Hedwig's theme isn't heard again. The only other Williams material is the track during the Quidditch match using the basic Quidditch Third year motif.

The end credits play without the Hedwig's theme introduction but they are animated this time. Strangely Fireworks from OOTP is used there.

But after it Hedwig's theme isn't heard again. The only other Williams material is the track during the Quidditch match using the basic Quidditch Third year motif.

Which is in fact an instrumental Double Trouble motif.

Which is in fact an instrumental Double Trouble motif.

What? ;) I can't hear any resemblance.

Double Trouble is not dead! It will always live in our hearts! Or perhaps the aliens have absconded it.

Ignoring the Pettigrew theme and the rousing horn intro;

Quidditch: E C D B... E F D E C D B...

Double: E(d#)EE(d#)E F D E(d#)E... D B E E...

Wait, this is a joke, right?

Just consider this a possibility people, not an actual fact. NOTHING has been confirmed yet. Chances are we won't hear more concrete information whether or not Williams will score The Deathly Hallows (not that I care ;)) until it gets closer to filming the movie.

No, I think we'll have official confirmation of a composer in the next two weeks. The movie has already started shooting, Trent!

2 weeks? We'll probably find out during post-production, like Matt said.

In the case of PoA, we knew a long time beforehand!

Wow. Props for Hooper, that takes guts. I don't know that I would have done that were I in his position.

EDIT, just read the "Hooper Interview Thread." I hope he patches up those family issues.

indy4 - who is loving the HBP clips

Wow. Props for Hooper, that takes guts. I don't know that I would have done that were I in his position.

EDIT, just read the "Hooper Interview Thread." I hope he patches up those family issues.

indy4 - who is loving the HBP clips

He should ask John to write a reconciliation theme, he'd have those issues patched up in no time.

Interesting ;) Thank you for pointing this out. And of course not unexpected when you consider JW's tendency for thematic writing. I guess I have to get to studying musical theory so I don't have to find these things only by the ear :lol:

Both Quidditch and Double have hundreds of notes each, maybe thousands.

Four notes matched. I am really not convinced, based on the fact that you don't really HEAR any similarity.

If you looked hard enough, I'm sure you can find the same progression of 4 notes from some portion of Hedwig's Theme.

Both Quidditch and Double have hundreds of notes each, maybe thousands.

Four notes matched. I am really not convinced, based on the fact that you don't really HEAR any similarity.

If you looked hard enough, I'm sure you can find the same progression of 4 notes from some portion of Hedwig's Theme.

QYT is based on a reccuring motif which sounds exactly like fast rendition of Double Trouble phrase. That's it. If it has happened on, say, Indiana Jones, this might have been a coincidence. But it was PoA with a lot of Double Trouble renditions.

I'm with Josh on this one.

Also, I think that if it were a variation on the Double Trouble theme then there wouldn't be a straightforward variation at 1:08.

I didn't mean to infer that Hooper is having family problems! He just meant that the pressure and stress of these two blockbusters have brought stress and pressure on his family, but nothing beyond that.

Just wanted to nip that little rumor in the bud before people start holding candlelight vigils attempting to save Hooper's family.

JW quotes DT in many places, and you recognize them as quotes.

QTY bears NO resemblance whatsoever to DT. The greatest similarity I hear is at 0:47-0:49, but even this is quite a stretch.

I am talking about A-theme only. About reccuring four-note motif, an equivalent of the exact phrase "double trouble".

Give me the exact times!

DT is more than a four-note motif!

I am talking about A-theme only. About reccuring four-note motif, an equivalent of the exact phrase "double trouble".

Give me the exact times!

DT is more than a four-note motif!

It's more, but I am not talking about the whole theme, but the opening 4 notes on which the Quidditch cue is based.

I'm with Josh on this one.

Also, I think that if it were a variation on the Double Trouble theme then there wouldn't be a straightforward variation at 1:08.

Why not? Why not have a subtle variation and then throw in, parenthetically, a more obvious variation? There's no rule about clashing degrees of variation, you know ;)

And besides, I thought that that specific variation at 1:08-1:11 is to remind us that the repeated notes at 1:11-1:14 are in fact "Something Wicked... This Way Comes", which also form a part of the QTY fuguetto.

;)

What are you laughing about it?

Listen to 1:21-1:24 and 1:24-1:26

Two instances of the general rhythm, punctuated by brass and whizzed over by strings, spelling out "some-thing-WICK-ed THIS-way-COMES" // "some-thing-WICK-ed THIS-way-COMES"

:lol:

What are you laughing about it?

Listen to 1:21-1:24 and 1:24-1:26

Two instances of the general rhythm, punctuated by brass and whizzed over by strings, spelling out "some-thing-WICK-ed THIS-way-COMES" // "some-thing-WICK-ed THIS-way-COMES"

Yeah, well, OK, I just listened to these sections.

I still think that's coincidence, but if you guys think so, OK. There's no way we can make sure one way or another, unless somebody knows JW's cell phone number! :P

The second half of Ludlow's Demise is a nebulous idea that does indeed get reworked and elaborated in QTY, which is infinitely better thanks to the recurring melodic fragments we've been talking about. And yeah, there's a couple of chord changes (not to mention the rigorous string motif) that QTY owes to LD.