I hate midnight Screenings

Taikomochi

In a very on the spot decision, my siblings and I decided to see a midnight screening of The Half Blood Prince. Usually, we plan our midnight screenings weeks in advance, but we decided "what could go wrong?"

So we get there, and this group of five boys sits in front of us reaking with the stench of marijuana, laughing and giggling constantly as if they wanted the whole theater to know they were high.

They giggled at every second of the movie except the parts that were meant to be funny. I wanted to hit them. I NEVER shush people in the theater, but I shushed them many times. My sister openly yelled shut up at them.

And they kept cursing and swearing. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but there were little girls there with their mothers and I was offended.

The worst part was during the scene where all the wizards held up their wands in lament for dumbledore. Some jackass actually held up a lighter, as if he wanted the sprinklers to go off. I wanted to claw his face off desperately.

I think I shall seriously reconsider going to future midnight screenings.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, sounds like a horrible film going experience. I've only been to 2 midnight showings in my life, and I found them both to be filled with enthusiastic film goers who were very respectful of the film and the experience. I wouldn't write off midnight shows entirely, it sounds like you just go unlucky. But boy, does that suck.

Well, I went to see all three of the LOTR films and they were mainly filled with self respecting fans, so those were tolerable

I don't know what the staff was doing here. There was like 10 members standing in the back who did nothing.

Why did you not report them to the theater employees? By the right of the theater they could have kicked those guys out.

I honestly have never been to a midnight screening. I don't think I would be able to stay awake for one.

Edit: I re-read your post above mine about the staff. Well if I were you I would have gone and asked for the manager who was on duty and reported it.

So you've had trouble with them before?

The worst part was during the scene where all the wizards held up their wands in lament for dumbledore. Some jackass actually held up a lighter, as if he wanted the sprinklers to go off. I wanted to claw his face off desperately.

I sniggered at that. I probably would have been annoyed had I been there, but it sounds like something Spicoli would do.

Remember, you're seeing a film who's prime target are pre-teens who are deliberately obnoxious and dress like whores. I had a batch of those when I saw Transformers 2. The area where my theater is is filled with these types of people.

Remember, you're seeing a film who's prime target are pre-teens who are deliberately obnoxious and dress like whores. I had a batch of those when I saw Transformers 2. The area where my theater is is filled with these types of people.

They were at least 20. The preteens were the only ones being quiet!

Time to buy that large TV screen and stop going to the theater altogether, taikomochi! There's no assholes or people eating out of crispy candy sacks for two hours in your living room!

Alex

Time to buy that large TV screen and stop going to the theater altogether, taikomochi! There's no assholes or people eating out of crispy candy sacks for two hours in your living room!

Alex

Well at least at home you can throw annoying people out when you want to. :P

Plus you can always throw drug tests at the door for pot heads. Nothing strengthens friendship like sudden drug tests before a movie night.

And seriously people who act like those idiots in your midnight screening Taikomochi should be reported to the staff and removed from the theater. It is just inconsiderate and bad behaviour.

And seriously people who act like those idiots in your midnight screening should be reported to the staff and removed from the theater. It is just inconsiderate and bad behaviour.

Hey, staff member, the guy who's sitting in the row in front of me is eating candy out of crispy sacks! He especially likes to make loud crispy noises during the quiet moments. Please, throw him out!

Alex

Yeah, it's annoying, but I would have been outright pissed off if it had been a JW-scored movie.

Here at least you didn't have to pay attention to the music.

And seriously people who act like those idiots in your midnight screening should be reported to the staff and removed from the theater. It is just inconsiderate and bad behaviour.

Hey, staff member, the guy who's sitting in the row in front of me is eating candy out of crispy sacks! He especially likes to make loud crispy noises during the quite moments. Please, throw him out!

Alex

I would ask to annihilate him. That is what we do here in Finland to such people. Hence no disturbances in the theaters. People also breathe very gently and softly so not to disturb in order to avoid being annihilated. Good system.

Hey, staff member, the guy who's sitting in the row in front of me is eating candy out of crispy sacks! He especially likes to make loud crispy noises during the quite moments. Please, throw him out!

Alex

I would ask to annihilate him. That is what we do here in Finland to such people. Hence no disturbances in the theaters. People also breathe very gently and softly so not to disturb in order to avoid being annihilated. Good system.

That's right. :) Usually the best way to avoid these kind of assholes at a midnight screening is by booking tickets to the biggest theater. The tickets are quickly sold out so only the hardcore fans will be attending the show. I'm going to see the new Harry Potter tonight in Kinopalatsi 1 theater (461 seats) which I think is the 2nd or 3rd biggest theater in Helsinki while Tennispalatsi 1 theater (686 seats) is the biggest. So hopefully that will be good enough... Last time I went to a midnight screening was for the Simpsons movie at Tennispalatsi 1. Although the movie wasn't great, it was one of the most memorable cinema experiences I've had.

Hey nice to see another fellow Finn here Hanman. :) And even though the premiere midnight screenings are full of very fanatic Potter fans who even dress up for the occasion I am sure, they know how to behave while watching the movie. Dignified and quiet (plus giddy but it is more contained giddiness). At least that is my impression from a few SW and LotR premieres I have been to.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I would have been outright pissed off if it had been a JW-scored movie.

Of course, because only movies scored by JW are good and worth watching.

:)

Time to buy that large TV screen and stop going to the theater altogether, taikomochi!

HA! I do that now. The last movie I saw in theater was Star Trek. I rarely go to the theater these days since it's bloody expensive for just tickets alone. I hate going to the theater because a lot of times there are annoying and obnoxious people there...especially ones that take babies.

I prefer to be sitting in the comfort of my own room watching the movie on my nice 42'' LCD HDTV.

I usually don't do the midnight screening thing as I have a hard time staying awake. In the UK when The Exorcist was still unavailable on video the only way to see it was to go to a midnight screening. I must admit that was very effective. Walking out of the Exorcist into the cold night air at 3am was a hell of an experience!

At 3pm on Tuesday I went to our local theatre to buy a ticket for the midnight Harry Potter screening. They had all been sold out since noon! Still haven't seen the film. Looking forward to it though.

Alex

crispy candy ?

Apart from the type of fan Taikomoch describes, theater is better than sitting at home.

Alex

crispy candy ?

Apart from the type of fan Taikomoch describes, theater is better than sitting at home.

That's because you are the guy with his crispy candy sacks who's sitting in the row in front of me. Of course, it doesn't bother you, you are the one doing it! Stop spoiling it for other people and stay home, KM.

Alex

I went to a 9pm showing of HBP last night and it was almost entirely young people and I was amazed at how behaved they all were. No film critic commentary guy, no guy trying to explain the plot to his girlfriend, no MST3K wannabe guy, no cellphone talker/texter guy, no innappropriate laughter guy, no why did they cut from the book guy. During the climax everone's eyes were glued to the screen and I think there some tears.

It gave me hope for humanity.

I would have been pissed no matter who scored the movie.

I saw a close-enough-to-midnight showing of Wall-E. No idiots, but I was too tired by the end to really take in the ending properly.

I barely go these days, but it's generally a pleb-free place.

Speaking of obnoxious moviegoers. When my brother was in LA, he saw Public Enemies at this one theater. I forgot the name, but apparently there are only 2 in the U.S. The ticket is $14, but it's worth it. There are no commercials or any crap before your movie, only a couple trailers, the employees come in and introduce the film for you, and when they say "Enjoy" the lights go down and the movie starts. The seats are much better than your average theater seats, and there is no talking or cell phones allowed. They remain in the theater and if you have your cell phone on or are doing something disturbing, they come over and kick you out. Oh and they charge full price for babies and children so parents are less likely to bring them along.

I wish there were more theaters like this.

I was dragged to the Wolverine midnight showing. It was an assembly of comic book nerds /I live in my parents basement videogame geeks

Star Trek opening night was filled with mega nerds that feel the need to comment how the alien on snow planet looks like Cloverfield monster and crap I wouldn't even begin to care about.

KOTCS was a bunch of nerds wearing fedoras to cover up their baldness and all this irritating laughter and commenting throughout. Also the "joke" when Indy cuts his jacket with the knife or whatever the hell occurs is still a terrible moment. Why did they laugh...

Spider-Man 3 midnight showing was a good time since everyone was rightfully laughing and collectively mocking the movie in all its badness.

Revenge of the Sith midnight showing was good because it wasn't overly crowded and hardly anyone made a peep throughout.

Whatever the films were like, the prequel midnight showings were a great experience, as was KOTCS. Star Trek was fun too, but mostly because of the film. I've never seen audiences as fun as the one for the LOTR Trilogy Tuesday though.

I went to a couple of Lord of the Rings/ Star Wars midnight showings, but I never really enjoyed these events (just couldn't wait to see the movies); so I usually ended up going to see the movies again later at a more quiet time to actually enjoy them.

For Harry Potter I decided to go in the morning of the second day of showing, and what a pleasant experience it was. About 30 people in the theater, no kiddies or hysterical teens (hope I'm not insulting anyone here ;)), but a number of middle-aged people who just seemed to like the books. I arrived just 5 min before the film started and could still sit in my favorite area. It was worth the waiting...

Best midnight showing = The Dark Knight

Our theater somehow played the same commercial 4 times in a row. I forgot what it was, but it had a guy falling off a horse to land on the text on the screen, and every time that was about to happen the whole theater went "Oooohhh!!! OHHHHH!!!" :lol:

And AMC has this thing scrolling before the trailers start and one of the things says "Get Free Stuff" and this guy yelled out when it was all quiet "YEAH! FREE STUFF!!!"

The only near-midnight screening I've been to was a 10ish PM opening night showing for Star Trek, and the crowd was very well behaved. But then again, I do live in Texas. :lol:

I've been to one midnight showing.

I had a hard time staying awake.

I don't blame you. I think the only way I would be able to make one is if I took a long nap before going to the theater. That would be the only way I could stay awake. Still though the long ass lines and possibility of it being sold out...no thanks. I always wait a week or so after the release to go see it.

I openly heckled during the entire movie when I saw Transformers 2. In fact I got more enjoyment out of making fun of it than I did actually watching it.

The crowd was very well behaved. But then again, I do live in Texas. :lol:

Huh?

You mean there wasn't bareknuckle fighting, yee-hawing and revolvers being fired wildy into the air?

Curious. Very very curious.

The crowd was very well behaved. But then again, I do live in Texas. ;)

Huh?

You mean there wasn't bareknuckle fighting, yee-hawing and revolvers being fired wildy into the air?

:lol:

The crowd was very well behaved. But then again, I do live in Texas. ;)

Huh?

No, that was after the movie.