Public Service Announcement

Henry B

The JWFan.com member Hlao-roo, also known as Alan, has been known to employ sarcasm. Sarcasm is a device used poke fun at a certain person or subject area in which the user says one thing, but really means something else. Here is an example:

Hlao-roo: "John Williams is a terrible composer. His films should all be rescored by Gustavo Santaolalla."

In this case, we can look at context clues to discern whether this statement is sarcastic. One: A longtime member of a John Williams fan site would probably not think Williams is an awful composer. Two: The user offers no reason for his statement, preferring to speak in absolutist terms. Based on these observations, we can deduce that Alan is most likely being sarcastic.

Please take note of this sarcastic phenomenon in order to avoid embarrassing misunderstandings. Thank you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this had to have its own thread? Warning against particular JWFan member's sarcasm. Have there been fatal consequences here because of misunderstood sarcasm?

And this had to have its own thread? Warning against particular JWFan member's sarcasm. Have there been fatal consequences here because of misunderstood sarcasm?

Yes. This is one of the most important issues facing our nation today. I am dead serious.

I don't think this warranted its own thread. I'm probably more frequently sarcastic than the average member, but sarcasm and irony are used enough around here -- including by the member who created this PSA -- that I don't think mine needed to be singled out.

On other hand, if people want to take this time to discuss what makes for appropriate sarcasm and when it is most effective, whether as humor or to make a serious point, maybe that might be worth its own thread.

- Alan, not being sarcastic

I think we should play the sarcasm game - where anything you mean sarcastically you say without a trace of sarcasm, and anything you mean seriously you say in a sarcastic tone.

I'm being sarcastic, of course.

I think we should play the sarcasm game - where anything you mean sarcastically you say without a trace of sarcasm, and anything you mean seriously you say in a sarcastic tone.

I'm being sarcastic, of course.

:lol: I am apparently the preeminent practitioner of sarcasm around here, yet you just blew my mind.

What I find ironic is that the poster who is supposedly the most sarcastic has an avatar of a scene from E.T. (the most innocent childhood movie there is).

Sarcasm on internet message boards is a source of great joy to me. And I refuse to use emoticons.

Somebody who lives dangerously. If you aren't careful, people might take you seriously, and you could get seriously hurt.

What I find ironic is that the poster who is supposedly the most sarcastic has an avatar of a scene from E.T. (the most innocent childhood movie there is).

My custom member title has long been "Rank Sentimentalist," which as many a cinema lover might guess, is taken from Casablanca. In fact, I had Rick Blaine up as my avatar for awhile. Don't forget that "under that cynical shell, [he's] at heart a sentimentalist."

I've stopped buying those, Alan and Henry kept blowing them up.

;)

Man if a lot of people here can't notice the sarcasm in certain members posts, especially if you've been here long enough...well then there's no help for you.