Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner (FSM Expanded Edition)

Jay

One thing that stands about for the FSM version of this score is the mix is perfect. I never cared for the mix on the OST, especially for "Genesis Countdown". The mix on the OST was horrible as instruments came out of their wrong channels, nice to see they corrected this.

You've heard it?

My god bones, what have they done ...

Uh ya, there are sound clips on the ordering page.

Oh boy, this year just won't stop punishing the wallet, I don't have the original ST 2 and it's Horner's greatest period, so this is a must. I wonder how long can one go without eating.

Oh, dear. Should we already establish a charity organization for victims of "too-frequently-released-and-too-expensive-soundtracks" syndrome?

Karol

I'm just gonna do my best to take advantage of the unlimited status and wait for Christmas.

Hopefully.

Maybe.

Good luck, I give you until August...maybe September. :)

It took the Film Score Monthly core of engineers 6 months in suits to dig out the session tapes. What Neil did in there, he did in a day.

I must be the only person on the planet who's not particularly excited about this...

I'm not. But then again, we're the '90s peeps! :)

I might order just because I don't have many Horner scores and this is unlimited, so I can take my time.

Those of you who are questioning whether or not to get it...get it. In my opinion this is one of Horner's best works. You won't be disappointed by it. Yes it's unlimited so if you need to wait a while to get it, then wait a while but either way for the sake of everyone else, get it and give it a listen.

Okay, I must clearly have missed something when watching the movie... it never struck me as having a particularly great soundtrack. But then, it's an early Horner, so maybe I should give it a try? But I will probably wait for awhile...

Early Horner is the best kind IMO.

Looks like its time for me to finally pick this score up. I've always loved it but always felt that this type of release would come, as even Paramount couldn't stop this great jem from being released. Here's hoping Search for Spock isn't too far down the road.

If it was another expanded John Williams score, I'm pretty sure the majority of people in here would shit in their pants so give us hardcore James Horner fans a break. Intrada and now FSM have been great lately with their collection of unreleased Horner music. We've been crying for this and other expanded vintage 80s scores by Horner to be released for years.

I must be the only person on the planet who's not particularly excited about this...

I'll give it a listen obviously, but my knowledge of holy grails seems to be pretty bad these days.

You really need to listen to something written before 1990. :)

I wonder if the unheralded star of Star Trek, Mr. Neil S. Bulk, will have a credit on this? I wouldn't be surprised.

Hitch, Rich and I are the only ones not shitting our pants.

Neither am I! :)

Although this is a good release and I'll certainly be having one. :P

It took the Film Score Monthly core of engineers 6 months in suits to dig out the session tapes. What Neil did in there, he did in a day.

Can he cook, or can't he?

He doesn't believe in the No-Win Scenario.

What if he mind-melded with someone else?

Hitch, Rich and I are the only ones not shitting our pants.

I didn't shit my pants. I creamed it :)

Is it only now you realize that Justin and Neil are one and the same?

That's probably true, but it's not the point I was trying to make. I haven't seen a post from "Justin" in so long that he eluded my conscious thought, and I really don't care who has alter egos. I was merely suggesting that if the Trekkies want to start quoting Star Trek 2, they ought to go into the quote thread. But that won't happen.

I did both at the same time. ;)

Karol

Coming and going at the same time-- would that be a discussion on philosophy or quantum mechanics? Or, are you ambivalent?

Whatever the answers, please make sure to wipe.

Is it only now you realize that Justin and Neil are one and the same?

That's probably true, but it's not the point I was trying to make. I haven't seen a post from "Justin" in so long that he eluded my conscious thought, and I really don't care who has alter egos. I was merely suggesting that if the Trekkies want to start quoting Star Trek 2, they ought to go into the quote thread. But that won't happen.

Pete is joking. I am not nor was I ever "Justin". I was "Weebo" when he came back to say he had the AOTC score in 2003. But that's it for the alter egos.

As for Trek II, I hope everyone enjoys it.

Neil

;) James Horner's ST: TWOK (expanded FSM edition).....beamed down to me specially from Space Lab Regula One.

Well Hitch is gonna cream in his pants

I did, and you know how I feel about Horner. That's how good this score is.

I just pissed myself....Uh oh one more....SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wow.... Well if it was going to be Star Trek I was hoping it would be II, III or V.

Well done FSM, well done.

What about I? The quintessential renegade score in this matter!!!

I will say hardcore JWFANs are excited about this because I have been dreaming of an expanded ST II.

I've been dreaming of it since 1982. My left hand hasn't been the same since.....until today ;)

What about I? The quintessential renegade score in this matter!!!

I already got a revamped score release. Sure, it's coupled with the Roddenberry talk CD and includes a photo of the -A in the liner notes, but from a Paramount perspective, it's covered. When they get done with re-releasing the other scores, then they ought to go back and re-re-release I. Until then...well...my feet don't get cold or wet when I walk in deep water...

With the 20th Anniversary of The Motion Picture still in print, they may not see it justifiable to release a full complete form of it. Of course I would love to see a legit release of the full complete score for The Motion Picture, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

I'm also sure that Varèse would be the ones to release an expanded Star Trek Nemesis, since they have the rights for that and that too is still in print.

What is "Genesis Project (Composed and Performed by Craig Huxley)" all about?

Is this the background music to Carol Marcus' proposal video to the Federation regarding the Genesis project? I don't remember it being 3:16 in length, but I never timed it either.

I'm so glad it's this, and not an expanded Ben-Hur soundtrack set that other people speculated about. What a year for expanded and/or unreleased James Horner scores!

It is the background music for the Genesis video and Craig Huxly is also the creator of the Blaster Beam.

I was merely suggesting that if the Trekkies want to start quoting Star Trek 2, they ought to go into the quote thread. But that won't happen.

As a doctor, you of all people should be aware of the dangers of reopening old wounds.

Ordered both CDs.

I will say I'm glad FSM was the one to release this, although LaLaLand and Intrada would have done the same outstanding job.

I guess what I should have said is that I'm glad one of the specialty labels released this because they included everything, even the little cues like "Kirk Takes Command" and "Chekov Lies".

Even though these clips are of lesser quality compared to the actual disc, I'm hearing so much wonderful stuff, especially in "Enterprise Attacks Reliant".

I will say I'm glad FSM was the one to release this, although LaLaLand and Intrada would have done the same outstanding job.

I guess what I should have said is that I'm glad one of the specialty labels released this because they included everything, even the little cues like "Kirk Takes Command" and "Chekov Lies".

Even though these clips are of lesser quality compared to the actual disc, I'm hearing so much wonderful stuff, especially in "Enterprise Attacks Reliant".

Indeed Mark! I was surprised to see cue titles that had been on the boot with sound effects for this set. I honestly can't wait to get my copy first of the month when I get paid. I will be listening to that score extensively once I get it.

I'm resisting listening to the clips, I'm waiting until I get the CD. Strangely enough, I was going to bring ST II with me on my trip, but now I'm not going to listen to it until the new one comes. I'll be taking great pleasure in chucking that DVD rip in the trash.

I'm not. But then again, we're the '90s peeps! :P

I might order just because I don't have many Horner scores and this is unlimited, so I can take my time.

It is superb. If you're a fan of his works from the early 1980s (Krull, Something Wicked This Way Comes), then this is a must-have.

I've been waiting for a better edition to come out in the past 2-3 years -- like a remastered edition or a re-recording. Luckily the former happened.