Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner (FSM Expanded Edition)

Jay

Mine shipped yesterday. I'd like to have i tomorrow because I'm leaving for Baltimore on Friday early...but I'm getting the feeling it won't come till Friday. Oh well.

For those overseas, how quick is SAE's shipping?

Varies. Never slow. But rarely as fast as my previous order - that was shipped on a Monday and arrived on Friday the same week.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Hearing of this release, is like that moment where they walk into the Genesis Cave ROTFLMAO

Nevertheless, at $19/95 I have more important roles for my wages at the moment............

So this one will have to wait. Considering I've listened to my Crescendo Cassete and CD for years, I'll survive for now.

If it had been a limited release, no doubt I would have knee jerk reaction ordered (as they bank on).

My copy is on it's way!!

James - who needed to buy this ...hopefully it arrives so we can listen to it on the way to Comic-Con this weekend!

Well, I listened to it on my way home from Comic-Con.

I swear I picked out instruments I didn't even hear, because they were doubling up others.

Extremely well done, and I'd definately say it's worth getting.

"Admiral...Admiral...Admiral...."

I hope they do Star Trek V and maybe some TNG episode scores? Years ago I recorded the scene in the cave from "Final Mission" where Picard talks to Wesley for the music.

Yipeeeee.....my orders were shipped on the 21st. Ceti Alpha 6 has checked out.

Well I've gotten shipping confirmations on every other order I've done recently but none from SAE, which is ok because I usually receive the shipping confirmation from them the day my package arrives.

Captain's Log, Stardate...Who the hell knows? I hate waiting, almost as much as I hate inspections. It hasn't been long, but it's been intermitable. Hours have seemed like days.

Today's mail should be arriving soon, and Spock has assured me he will scan it as soon as it gets in range. We've also recieved a transmission from Starfleet, something about some freighter trapped in some plasmawhatsit field somewhere, and we were, surprise surprise, the ONLY ship in the sector and had to go rescue it. I told Uhura to tell them we were busy and they need to build more ships. Further transmissions have been...too garbled to understand.

Nerds.

:D

Captain's Log, supplimental. All of today's scans have come up negative. I've asked Spock and Scotty to look into using the sun slinghot to travel forward in time one day. They said they'd have something tomorrow.

I just found out why track 20 is called "Spock (Dies)" - the original cue title is just "Spock". Since they already renamed an earlier cue "Spock" for the OST, and all OST titles where kept for the expanded release, they had to rename track 20. All the other unreleased tracks, btw, use the original cue titles

I'm certainly excited about TWOK, but since it's an unlimited release, I'm going to wait till I've heard more feedback from fellow listeners. If the sound quality is similar to that of the OST, I doubt I'll be buying it right now...just too much money for me to justify buying it at the moment. But if the sound quality is really pristine, I won't be able to help purchasing it. :P And in any case, bravo to FSM for releasing this! Having a score like TWOK out of print is no good.

Joe, you can tell right from the clips on the official site that the sound quality is much improved

I'm certainly excited about TWOK, but since it's an unlimited release, I'm going to wait till I've heard more feedback from fellow listeners. If the sound quality is similar to that of the OST, I doubt I'll be buying it right now...just too much money for me to justify buying it at the moment. But if the sound quality is really pristine, I won't be able to help purchasing it. :P And in any case, bravo to FSM for releasing this! Having a score like TWOK out of print is no good.

It is unmistakablely the best score ever written.

Ha!

Joe, you can tell right from the clips on the official site that the sound quality is much improved

Mmm, the clips don't sound any better to me, but it could be the compression.

Even if it's the same mix as the OST (which I doubt), wouldn't it be worth it just because it's the complete score?

This is so obvious a question I'll answer it for you: yes. Yes, it is. :P

Ha!

Mmm, the clips don't sound any better to me, but it could be the compression.

Well yes the clips at SAE / FSM are at a lower quality.

I'm not hearin' it. ::shrug:: Like I said, I'll wait till I hear more reviews (or full-quality samples! :P). And John...if I had a job and/or a bit more money right now, yeah, I'd just go ahead and buy it, but I'm generally quite cheap. If the sound quality and mix are pretty comparable to that of the OST, the release will be less tempting. I definitely like TWOK, but it's far from my favorite score.

Even if it's the same mix as the OST (which I doubt), wouldn't it be worth it just because it's the complete score?

The two main reasons for getting it: Improved sound and Amazing Grace.

It's here! It arrived today! And I only have 45 minutes til I leave work and can listen. This is one of the extremely rare occasions that I am (somewhat) grateful for an hour-long commute.

Read bits of the booklet... some nifty stuff in there I'd not known. I don't recall ever hearing that Horner attended the TMP sessions, nor that he was one of the dudes on the Enterprise carrying random stuff down corridors in the battle sequence at the end of the movie.

Cannot wait to listen!

In case you missed it, here is my youtube link to James Horner's interview from the remastered Star Trek 2 DVD.

youtube link to James Horner's

Great interview. Horner's voice is terrifying. It's the first time I've heard him speak. :lol:

He has the voice of some kind of tiny nature spirit hiding behind a mushroom.Crikey. :P

That aside, great interview and nice to hear how sensitive he is to music. Cheers, Hitch. :)

PAL speed up aside, Horner comes across as a real phony in interviews. He's got this inconsistent faux-British accent that drops as an interview progresses and his mannerisms just seem so deliberate and self-important. The plagiarism issue speaks for itself, and Horner's never admitted to it. Instead, "I have a poor memory. After I write a score, I forget it. That's why I never write the same thing twice."

Oh well. It's the good scores that count.

This is fun, running down the posts, seeing everyone announcing that they've ordered it. Makes one forget about the economic despair in the world.

BTW, what is the general consensus regarding all of our original TWOK cds? Will you sell yours off, or drive down the highway whilst listening to your new TWOK on your car stereo, rolling down the window and throwing the oldie out?

I've only got on CD-R, so in the trash it goes. Along with the DVD rip.

John- who'd like to point out there's a lot less economic despair in Texas than other places :lol:

BTW, what is the general consensus regarding all of our original TWOK cds? Will you sell yours off, or drive down the highway whilst listening to your new TWOK on your car stereo, rolling down the window and throwing the oldie out?

:lol:

I'll be keeping my old CD.

I ordered mine on Monday, but haven't received a shipping confirmation. Started to feel like the last kid picked for dodgeball before I noticed Mark's post about not getting a shipping confirmation, either. Guess I'm in good company. It's a shame he can't make such a claim.