Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner (FSM Expanded Edition)

Jay

Thanks for posting that.

I can say that I'm glad he didn't use the Ondes Martinot, Elmer Bernstein's over use of it has is enough. :|

Going back to the newly released version, as the article mentions, Khan's music does indeed have a certain dissonant odd sound to it in the background. It's something that's not noticeable in the film or on the original album. It's most prominent in the newly released music.

There is so much to discover within this new release, it seems like I'm always hearing something new when I listen to it.

Some comments:

Very good work by FSM on the production, both in terms of sound quality (though TWOK never was, and never will be a brilliant recording), and the linernotes and packaging.

Horner's score, even after all these years remains a work that holds my attention thoughout. The new cues help flesh out some asoects of the score.

It has to be saud though, that the OST was wonderfully put together.

The best cues of the score were presented and the sequence, while not cronological, made for a hell of a listening experience.

If "Horner’s music is exciting and free", why do I have to pay $20 for it?

Mine finally shipped last Friday and I can't wait to hear if it's as clean as y'all say it is. Can't wait to blast "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" on the car stereo while slowly driving past the local high school when classes recommence.

I thought my phrasing would be less likely to bring the wrath of the moderators done upon me.

You task me. You task me and I shall have you! I'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give you up!

There is so much to discover within this new release, it seems like I'm always hearing something new when I listen to it.

I agree. I was listening to the "Kirk Takes Command" track, and while the dissonance at the beginning is nearly awful to listen to in headphones as loudly as I was, then I heard a lovely horn passage from 0:58 to 1:01 from Star Trek III (though it could've been Krull, too). Even though it's an unreleased track, it was still cool.

I thought my phrasing would be less likely to bring the wrath of the moderators done upon me.

You task me. You task me and I shall have you! I'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give you up!

Wait, didn't he kill the Star Trek quote thread?

Marc didn't kill it, but he stopped its resurrection. It remains where it belongs, chained beyond the Void for all time.

Like those Cyberman, untill they got out. :lol:

Mine arrived today. Haven't listened yet, but will certainly do so later.

You won't like it.

The orchestrations are not thick enough and it uses Prokoviev!

Mine arrived today. Haven't listened yet, but will certainly do so later.

You won't like it.

The orchestrations are not thick enough and it uses Prokoviev!

You're not really writing this under the assumption that I'm not very familiar with the old album, are you?

Listening now and enjoying it.

Nimoy Narration is part of the music. Without it, halve the wonder of those few seconds would be obliterated.

Exactly. A narration-less version would be a nice addition, but I'd consider it an alternate.

After listening to both the final (with narration) and original/alternate (without) cue, I revise my opinion. I like the narration, but the "main" version should have been stripped of narration, and the narration put in the alternate instead.

Very fine release otherwise.

Marc didn't kill it, but he stopped its resurrection. It remains where it belongs, chained beyond the Void for all time.

Like those Cyberman, untill they got out. ;)

Hah, I was actually thinking of Tolkien's Morgoth, but that works too. ;)

(Even though it was Daleks ;))

In all seriousness, I'm not one of the folks who'll consider you stupid or whatever simply because you've got a different opinion. But I do find TWOK to be a far better film than TSFS. I'm not as familiar with the score to TSFS, but I remember thinking it didn't break much new ground. But to each his own! ;)

"There are always possibilities, Marc said...and if the Trek thread is indeed life from death....then I must return to this thread again"

kirk_screams_khan.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMAAAARRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In all seriousness, I'm not one of the folks who'll consider you stupid or whatever simply because you've got a different opinion. But I do find TWOK to be a far better film than TSFS.

Certainly. "preferring" is fine, but no one in their right mind would say TSFS was a better film than TWOK. Unless they watched it like I did the other day when I fell asleep during the dull bits.

as a star trek illiterate can somebody help me?

'kirk takes command': i hear goldsmith's enterprise theme.

yet the liner notes say 'He was expressly instructed not to use any of Goldsmith's score'.

Or am i mistaking part of the courage fanfare with goldsmith's enterprise?

:angry:

as a star trek illiterate can somebody help me?

yet the liner notes say 'He was expressly instructed not to use any of Goldsmith's score'.

You're mistaking the Courage fanfare for Goldsmith's theme.

Just listened to this. Holy crap, it's awesome. The recording clearly isn't great, but they've done a bang-up job with it. And listening to it as a whole, the Spock log belongs exactly where it is.

jeff_goldblum_is_watching_you_poop.jpg