Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner (FSM Expanded Edition)

Jay

Yeah, I assumed it had something to do with the parentheses, but I still don't get it.

I think it's because Spock doesn't really die.

Yeah, I assumed it had something to do with the parentheses, but I still don't get it.

I think it's because Spock doesn't really die.

I think if that were the case the cue would be called Spock "Dies," not Spock (Dies). Parenthese seem to note that whatever word is enclosed is an afterthought or somewhat irrelevant to the unparanthesized word, not that the enclosed word is untrue. Quotes are used to show that the enclosed word is what the film was saying, meaning that in terms of actual factuality it isn't quite true.

I've officially ordered. SAE has a good deal going with this release, 5 bucks off an order of $50 or more. I really wish I could take advantage of that, but I've got two big TV DVD sets coming out next Tuesday I want to make sure I can get.

Well Track 7 on the new release is already called "Spock", so track 20 had to be different..... but why they called it "Spock (Dies)" instead of just "Spock Dies" or "Spock's Death", I have no idea. Just made me laugh to see "Spock (Dies)". It's odd.

yes, this is their big unlimited july release they've been hyping for a few months

--

Hey, on my boot the order of tracks is:

8 Kirk Takes Command

9 Surprise Attack

10 He Tasks Me

11 Kirk's Explosive Reply

But on the new FSM CD, the order of tracks is:

8. Kirk Takes Command*/He Tasks Me 2:07

9. Genesis Project (Composed and Performed by Craig Huxley) 3:16

10. Surprise Attack 5:07

11. Kirk's Explosive Reply 4:01

Does this mean the FSM CD is slightly out of film order in this one place?

Unbelievable. Incredible. There's no longer any reason to believe in a "no-win" scenario. Give FSM a commendation for original thinking.

They had to go all the way back to the beginning of Horner's career to get it, but it's one of his true masterpieces. I'd pretty much given up hope of ever getting the whole thing. It's a great day for filmusic enthusiasts.

- Uni . . . who can't wait to hear both Kirk's arrival on the Enterprise, and Spock's Death In Parenthases apart from the film. . . .

"Spock (Dies)" is one of the funniest track titles ever

Spock DIES in the movie? What's with these crazy cue titles giving away the plot??? First

Qui-Gon

then

Dumbledore

and now this!

[/sarcasm]

It was actually just yesterday that I read a pessimistic reply on Youtube that the music from Wrath of Khan would never be completely released. I hope that person is aware of this release! What a great score. It even has a precursor to some of the music from Aliens.

I must be the only person on the planet who's not particularly excited about this...

I'm not. But then again, we're the '90s peeps! :P

I might order just because I don't have many Horner scores and this is unlimited, so I can take my time.

It is superb. If you're a fan of his works from the early 1980s (Krull, Something Wicked This Way Comes), then this is a must-have.

I've been waiting for a better edition to come out in the past 2-3 years -- like a remastered edition or a re-recording. Luckily the former happened.

Well you've just mentioned two Horner scores that I'm barely interested in at all.

Heck, I really like Natty Gann and Shrunk. I'm not saying it's not a great/landmark score, just that when I first heard the OST, it didn't light my world on fire.

It was a hell of a thing when Spock died.

Indeed, it was a powerful scene, and then to follow a good speech by Kirk right afterwards.

Rich,

Just give the score a chance...even if you have to preview it by other methods. If you like it then get it, I am betting you will enjoy it.

Funnily enough I was listening to the original album just before this one was announced. A premonition of some kind?

Karol

Quick, put on your Back to the Future OST!

And a dubious quote from Aintitcoolnews:

Since the stratospheric success of J.J. Abrams’ STAR TREK (2009) earlier this year, cinemaphiles and scorehounds have resurrected the timeless question...What is the greatest Star Trek film score ever written?

Conversations abound with valid arguments for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) by Jerry Goldsmith, or STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (1991) by Cliff Eidelman, or perhaps the newest graduate of Starfleet Academy, Michael Giacchino’s STAR TREK. However, if you polled legions of Star Trek fans and soundtrack collectors alike, one should not be surprised if the strongest case was made for James Horner’s STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN.

Funnily enough I was listening to the original album just before this one was announced. A premonition of some kind?

Karol

Sadly, there is no real OST for this film. Which could mean it won't happen in this life... But then again Varese compiltion might work. :P

Karol

Karol

Sadly, there is no real OST for this film. Which could mean it won't happen in this life... But then again Varese compiltion might work. :P

Karol

Or the DeLorean Records leg-warmer.

Well you've just mentioned two Horner scores that I'm barely interested in at all.

Heck, I really like Natty Gann and Shrunk. I'm not saying it's not a great/landmark score, just that when I first heard the OST, it didn't light my world on fire.

Something Wicked This Way Comes has a beautiful theme for the kids, and the "End Credits" track is simply divine. And as for Krull, how can a serious Horner fan not like it?

Karol

Sadly, there is no real OST for this film.

Yes, there is.

Unfortunately, it only contains about two score tracks.

fsm_twok_i.jpg

Will this still ever be used in another "Director's Cut" of KHAN. I've seen the picture used several times in the last number of year and it's such a beautiful image.

Cool tidbits from Lucas

We used mostly the analogue safety 3-track 1/2" because the digital 3M 1/2" 3-track tape nobody can play anymore! There was also a 1" 32-track 3M tape that only one place can play anymore (Walt Disney Imagineering; they keep a machine working) that we used for some cues (the 3-track film mixes are printed along with the multitrack channels) but it had to be baked and this caused some ticks (which we have to painstakingly edit out) and the analogue was actually the better source. (Did you know the 3M machine ran at a sampling rate of 50 khz, not 44.1 or even 48? So you have to go analogue out anyway!) Hope that answers the question. In all honesty...digital converters must be better now than in 1982, right? Thanks!

Lukas

Cool tidbits from Lucas
We used mostly the analogue safety 3-track 1/2" because the digital 3M 1/2" 3-track tape nobody can play anymore! There was also a 1" 32-track 3M tape that only one place can play anymore (Walt Disney Imagineering; they keep a machine working) that we used for some cues (the 3-track film mixes are printed along with the multitrack channels) but it had to be baked and this caused some ticks (which we have to painstakingly edit out) and the analogue was actually the better source. (Did you know the 3M machine ran at a sampling rate of 50 khz, not 44.1 or even 48? So you have to go analogue out anyway!) Hope that answers the question. In all honesty...digital converters must be better now than in 1982, right? Thanks!

Lukas

You typoed Lukas' name wrong, Jason. :rolleyes:

Any word on when shipping is supposed to start?

John- impatient :)

Patience is a virtue. ;)

Edit: From what Lukas has been saying on FSM these will be available to the public at Comic Con this weekend. I think it's after that is when they will start shipping them out. I'm not entirely sure but that's my take on it.

I believe SAE started shipping already.

Very nice.

Edit: I've been comparing the mp3 samples from FSM's set...well the previously released cues compared to my OST rip and I can all ready tell the major improvement, not only for the over all mix but the sound as well for the FSM one. I'm glad they were able to have access to the original master tapes.

For those overseas, how quick is SAE's shipping?

Also how quick is SAE's shipping in the US? My order shipped 7-21-09. Yay! Can't wait! Wow, what a week, Star Trek II Expanded plus Brooke White's new CD! ;)

[Edited because of numeral dyslexia.]