JG's The Edge

DU Lou

Is it worth the $50+ USD price on Amazon and Ebay? I love the main theme. On a side note, I held off purchasing The Accidental Tourist and was able to grab the re-release. Do you think we will ever see such a thing with 'The Edge' ?

Your thoughts...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He had sexual allegations of some sort surrounding him. I don't know what the truth or outcome of it was.

The Edge is solid little adventure score with one of the all time fave Goldsmith themes, indeed the lush main theme is a real beauty. I used to envision its use in the LotR adaptations - during their making - it would've made a superb journey theme for the Fellowship.

Good film btw, whatever happen to Tamahori after that? He looked promising....

I guess his peak was during the '90s when he made Once Were Warriors, Mulholland Falls and The Edge. Recently he did Next. Wasn't that the movie with Cage on fire? That was bad!

The Edge is a good score to a good movie. Lee Tamahori turned to shit, directing such classics as Die Another Day and Next. Alex, you're thinking of Ghost Rider. Next is the retarded movie where he sees the future and tries to stop it, and it actually went for the cliche "the whole movie was a vision" ending.

"The thing about the future is, it changes when you look at it, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else."

~ Nick Cage, closing lines

Indeed, plus the three fantastic lead performances by Hopkins, Baldwin and Bart.

I've said it before here and elsewhere, The Edge is truly an underrated gem of an adventure thriller, almost criminally so. Its a five starer, for me.

Alex, you're thinking of Ghost Rider. Next is the retarded movie where he sees the future and tries to stop it, and it actually went for the cliche "the whole movie was a vision" ending.

"The thing about the future is, it changes when you look at it, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else."

~ Nick Cage, closing lines

Oh yes, I guess Cage has come to a point in his life that he can't be picky any longer.

I was just looking at my The Edge DVD case the other day, because I was thinking of watching it again. Probably because we have a regular visitor in our yard...a bear. Just a black one, but they don't make movies about giant rampaging black bears because they're not as scary.

The Edge is a 5 star film and score IMO. Tamahori's an idiot for turning to crap like DAD.

I don't know why some people say the film is crap - I think the performances are outstanding and the film has genuine heart and suspense. Oscar material if you ask me.

Similarly, Jerry's score has such a natural quality to it, with a great main theme.

There's also an expanded boot going around (covers here for a 16 track version, there's also a 20 track that adds nearly the whole score - not sure why they were dropped), which I'm particularly smug to find covers for, as I'm the creator of the boot! :rolleyes:

I didn't know it was so expensive, I think I got mine for around $20. In 10th grade, we had to do a project for when we read The Lord Of The Flies, and one of the options was create your own soundtrack. I'm pretty sure I used "Lost In The Wild" as the main theme or the opening or something.

I got mine for about £10, probably 5 years ago on ebay (before I started uni at least, scary to realise that's now over half a decade ago...)

And I used part of Mighty Hunter and Stalking in the film of my '04 USA trip - it's a very fresh, natural sound and used very sparingly at times. Probably my favourite Goldsmith score actually.