Sandor

12 years after Titanic, James Cameron will release AVATAR later this year. A huge sci-fi epic designed to make 3D cinema essential. Will it succeed in being a good film? Or as a revolutionary film? Will it fail? Many predicted Titanic to bomb before its release, but we know who had the last laugh on that one.

The premise:

Avatar is set during the 22nd century on a small moon called Pandora, which orbits a gas giant, and is inhabited by the tribal Na'vi, ten foot tall, blue humanoids that are peaceful unless attacked. Humans cannot breathe Pandoran air, so they genetically engineer human/Na'vi hybrids known as Avatars that can be controlled via a mental link. A paralyzed Marine named Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) volunteers to exist as an Avatar on Pandora, falling in love with a Na'vi princess and becoming caught up in the conflict between her people and the human military that is consuming their world.

Official image from Comic-Con 2009:

321px-Avatar_comic-con_banner.jpg

Some concept art:

large_mediafile-4..jpeg

Read more about the film and view more images:

MarketSaw - 3D and Technology AVATAR page

A YouTube fan creation that tells a lot about the film:

Oh, and I'd amost forgot: the film is being scored by James Horner.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hype surrounding this one is incredible, but this is James Cameron's movie. Hopefully, it will deliver. As for the score, although I am being sceptic, I am looking forward to this now more than to anything else this year.

I'm not sure if there is really that much hype. Among filmfans yes, but the general public - the public that made Titanic such an enourmous hit - is hardly aware of this film I think. Not yet at least. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'd amost forgot: the film is being scored by James Horner.

Can't wait for the variations (or lack thereof) of the danger motif :rolleyes:

Well at least the music will be better than all Remote controled movies.

I don't think he will have the same success as he did with Titanic.

but what movie has, even with tremendously inflated ticket prices the Dark Knight fell well short.

My hope is that he pushed film technology.

Looking back I've been entertained by all his films including the schlocky Pirahna 2

I wondered who'd be the first to spout off that same crap about young girls. Luke are you really stupid enough to believe that? If you really and truly believe that retarded comment, then why isn't Twilight the biggest film ever, EVER?

I wondered who'd be the first to spout off that same crap about young girls. Luke are you really stupid enough to believe that? If you really and truly believe that retarded comment, then why isn't Twilight the biggest film ever, EVER?

Titanic was seen several times by the same ammount of teen girls that like twilight + the rest of the population. Most other films are seen mostly by their intended audiences (Bay's films for teen boys...etc)

So yes Titanic's big hit was that it was appealing to everyone and the teen girls. that i'm not diminishing its success, but it is you that as a lover of the movie, seem to be intimidated by the fact that the audience it was more popular with was the teen girls.

Oh and i'm as stupid as you are predictable. You fell for the bait as quick as a 2 seconds-memory little fish.

Actually Luke, you're wrong again, for some reason this summer the girls are going in droves to see Transformers.

Everyone around me went to see Titanic. Kids with grandparents, teenagers (girls AND boys), even my dad (who hates cinemas).

The film had something for everyone and became a true event. That's why it was so succesful.

And the 600 million it grossed in the US would nowadays correspond with an unbelievable 921 million dollars (adjusted). The Dark Knight's 500+ figure pales compared to that...

Everyone around me went to see Titanic. Kids with grandparents, teenagers (girls AND boys), even my dad (who hates cinemas).

The film had something for everyone and became a true event. That's why it was so succesful.

But it was the girls in my class the ones that watched it 6+ times.

I dont know anyone from other age-range to have done that.

I dont know anyone from other age-range to have done that.

I don't know any girl who saw it 6 times. :rolleyes: Seems more like a falsehood anyway.

that is another typical nonsensical Luke response

if what you said was true, which it isn't, then the movie makers would be targeting that same audience.

Its funny that so many hate titanic so much that their tiny minds can much up such large bull****.

Anyways back to Avatar, I'm very excited to see it. I will see it in 3D for sure. I will by Horner's score.

you were not my age, old man.

:rolleyes: Yeah, 34 is really old I know...

Anyways back to Avatar, I'm very excited to see it. I will see it in 3D for sure.

Also very excited. I just hope that there will be a theater in The Netherlands that can project the 3D images like they are meant to be...

Well Cameron did say it looks beautiful in 2D as well, so if you can't find that....

Its not just a throw stuff at you 3D its more of the immersion 3D that Journey to the Center of the Earth had last year.

Its not just a throw stuff at you 3D its more of the immersion 3D that Journey to the Center of the Earth had last year.

Which I sadly also didn't see in 3D... :rolleyes:

that is another typical nonsensical Luke response

if what you said was true, which it isn't, then the movie makers would be targeting that same audience.

Nevertheless there are few movies that are not made with a defined target audience

Its funny that so many hate titanic so much that their tiny minds can much up such large bull****.

What is funny is that you are insulting me when i have never said i hate Titanic.

Yeah my country is developed enough for that.

I wasn't making a remark about your country, I was asking if you can see it in 3D, its not like its in every theatre. I have to drive 30 minutes to see a 3D movie, though by Christmas I may not.

I was just being defensive since you directed the conversation into the topic dismissing my last words, which i found classy offensive. :rolleyes:

In fact my words may even imply The Netherlands are less developed than Spain, which is not true neither my intention :rolleyes:

I'll definately check it out. I should be able to see it 3D here too, I know our theater was showing Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D.

As far as the score goes, I really hope Cameron or someone else has stuck a boot in Horner's butt to get him motivated. This could be a really good score, and I'd hate for Horner to waste the opportunity with his usual laziness. He's up to the task if he wants to be.

I really hope Cameron or someone else has stuck a boot in Horner's butt to get him motivated. This could be a really good score, and I'd hate for Horner to waste the opportunity with his usual laziness.

Cameron if up to the task of 'motivating' him.

I wonder...is Horner a masochist? :rolleyes:

Horner has had a year to compose this score, so I am confident he will compose something great. Everyone who has seen parts of the film has said that it's amazing. You can't tell what's real and what's CGI.

No one ever says that, because it's obvious what's CGI is blockbuster films. They may it's good CGI, but they can still tell. There are some films that have spectacular CGI where you can't tell, such as The Dark Knight and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

I've never seen a film in 3D or in IMAX (except for a documentary at the Boston Museum of Science). If ever there was a time to try it, it would be for this film. Oh man, just thinking about it is fucking awesome!

No one ever says that, because it's obvious what's CGI is blockbuster films. They may it's good CGI, but they can still tell. There are some films that have spectacular CGI where you can't tell, such as The Dark Knight and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

Meh. I was really impressed with the special effects in The Dark Knight, but not the CGI ones. They blew up a hospital*! But that shot of Batman jumping off the roof of the office building in Hong Kong? A clear fake. (And yes, I'm aware that Nolan wanted to film this but the city wouldn't allow it.)

* dressed up abandoned warehouse

Yeah, it was pretty amazing. See, I went into the film not realizing there was CGI involved in the aging of the actors. And I'd like to say I'm pretty attuned to bad special effects. Half-Blood Prince, very dodgy stuff. But I found Benjamin Button completely seamless. I thought they just had great makeup and body doubles or something (which they did, but that wasn't all).

no, the awful film Curious Case of Benjamin Button,

I'm praying Avatar kills off this absurd trend of sequels/remakes/prequels/comic book/TV show/Toy/Video Game branding movies. I just want something original.

Wow... haha.

;)

Well according to some sources, it seems Horner has spent quite some time working on this score and has turned down a few assignments to concentrate on Avatar.

I wonder if the hype for Avatar will induce a label into releasing a proper 2CD Complete set for the Titanic score?

In fact my words may even imply The Netherlands are less developed than Spain, which is not true neither my intention :folder:

The Netherlands in far more developped in many ways then Spain.

Except in the eareas of food, drink and parties...

Sadly.

I wonder if the hype for Avatar will induce a label into releasing a proper 2CD Complete set for the Titanic score?

Ahhh, aren't there already 2 CDs out?

"Music inspired by Titanic" or "More Music from Titanic" or whatever?

The hype surrounding this one is incredible, but this is James Cameron's movie. Hopefully, it will deliver.

I think this will be the biggest movie of the year (the biggest movie that opens this year, to be more exact),

However, I doubt that this will top Titanic.

James Cameron is well-near a genius. I have total faith in him that he will deliver...

Lately, I've been looking more at the social development instead of looking at economics, infrastructure, etc.

I would say, especially having spend several months abroad these past years, that The Netherlands is developing rather poorly on a social level.

Sometimes I read the talkback users place on news websites like AD.nl and it makes me somewhat ashamed to be Dutch. The level of ignorance and pure stupidity is unbelievable. There is a whole new generation coming, totally spoiled and bored.

But let's get back to Avatar...! :folder:

This crazy hype is a bit, well, crazy, especially as only a few people have seen any footage, even with the gasps that the footage brought. And I'm not hugely inspired by the images I've seen thus far. Still, Cameron hopefully has some talent left, although I'm just not a fan of his post-ABYSS work. Let's hope both he and Horner come back with a bang.

Lately, I've been looking more at the social development instead of looking at economics, infrastructure, etc.

I would say, especially having spend several months abroad these past years, that The Netherlands is developing rather poorly on a social level.

Sometimes I read the talkback users place on news websites like AD.nl and it makes me somewhat ashamed to be Dutch. The level of ignorance and pure stupidity is unbelievable. There is a whole new generation coming, totally spoiled and bored.

But let's get back to Avatar...! :folder:

I don't like this attitude of "our country is better developed" than other countries.

In fact, from what I can make out, the Netherlands is NOT more developed than any other country in Western Europe.

And socially, Spain is probably more developed than the Netherlands...

Ahhh, aren't there already 2 CDs out?

"Music inspired by Titanic" or "More Music from Titanic" or whatever?

Even after combining all the music on both CDs, there is still some cues missing. The second CD is a lot of source music / non-Horner stuff

This crazy hype is a bit, well, crazy, especially as only a few people have seen any footage, even with the gasps that the footage brought. And I'm not hugely inspired by the images I've seen thus far. Still, Cameron hopefully has some talent left, although I'm just not a fan of his post-ABYSS work. Let's hope both he and Horner come back with a bang.

You're NOT a fan of his post-Abyss work? T2, Titanic, True Lies?

OK, then I can all but guarantee you, you won't like Avatar. :folder: