Sandor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it. It looks stunning, but... it doesn't blow me away. Not after The Prequels, Final Fantasy, LotR and dozens of similar productions. Visuals look like they're "just" a notch better than in any big-budget previous film. I am not disappointed, though. I expected it and I still look fwd. to it.

This movie begs for a great score. Deliver, Mr. Horner!

So say we all!

For a teaser it works fine. Visually it's very impressive, we'll see if the rest is worth it.

I need to see it on my HD monitor, the one I saw it on is an older model that should be retired.

But from what I saw it looks nice.

I need to see it on my HD monitor, the one I saw it on is an older model that should be retired.

That's work computers for you.

I wouldn't dare spend my time at work playing on the internet.....

I agree that the alien world looks waaaay too artificial, but given that this is designed to be a fully 3D experience, I shall allow Cameron the benefit of the doubt. Allowing for some well written context, the rich alien world could in fact turn out to be one of movie's most memorable highlights. In a 3D cinema, this will clearly be a thing of spectacular beauty - a ride. It would be a shame if some folks missed the entire point, but hey ho, there's no pleasing some...

Lets just hope the script doesn't let it down, but I have faith in this movie and I continue to look forward to it.

I agree that the alien world looks waaaay too artificial, but given that this is designed to be a fully 3D experience, I shall allow Cameron the benefit of the doubt. Allowing for some well written context, the rich alien world could in fact turn out to be one of movie's most memorable highlights. In a 3D cinema, this will clearly be a thing of spectacular beauty - a ride.

Not a chance, Quincy, the design sucks. In sci-fi, image is everything.

Alex

Um.. eye of the beholder and all that. Weasel words don't count for much on Wiki and they count for even less on here.

But we'll see. Either way, I ain't made my mind up on this before seeing it, not by any stretch.

Um.. eye of the beholder and all that. Weasel words don't count for much on Wiki and they count for even less on here.

But we'll see. Either way, I ain't made my mind up on this before seeing it, not by any stretch.

Poor design of the alien world, animated look, action-based sci-fi ... I already scratched it from my list.

Okey doke.

But don't forget, I didn't actually disagree with your initial observation - but I'd be a fool judge a movie based on a teaser trailer and in this instance I shall go to the theatre with an open mind. Looking forward to Cameron's latest.

It's slightly underwhelming, but then I wasn't one of those people who hyped the movie up to unrealistic proportions with talk of it being the future of film and such. The main problem is that it looks too much like a cartoon, maybe (hopefully) it will be a different experience in 3-D.

Nothing here looks new or fresh or innovating as everyone has been saying, the main reason why I haven't been buying into the hype. The only dialogue in the trailer is "This is great" which just screams to me of a huge egotrip by Cameron and nothing more. This film looks visually unimpressive to me and this whole 3D thing just screams as an attempt to try to make this ordinary sci-fi film into something more. To me, the whole story screams Mass Effect and other video games of the past 5 years, and visually its nothing better than ILM or WETA can put out for any big name client.

I hope I'm eating crow in December, but to me this is a step to the left rather than a step forward as everyone has been saying that it would be.

Personally, I think this looks pretty awesome. I like the Na'vi character design and frankly I think that female is incredibly hot. I'm extremely optimistic for this movie.

Even more than the movie, I'm actually excited about what Horner creates for this. As quick as I've been to dog his efforts over the past decade, I'd love nothing more than for this to be the movie that resurrects my respect for him. We'll see, but I think it looks very promising.

where is the photorealistic CGI? ;)

the movie is eye candy, but nothing extremely different that has not be done before...as i expected.

Cameron should not have created the hype about it's perfection. He is going to be critisized alot.

At least we can watch the Battle of Naboo as it was meant to be seen.

you mean kashyyyk + felucia...

and the naboo battle is pretty much what it was meant to be..in 1999 ten years ago. in fact it seems TMP might be more groundbreaking that this one in the quality of cgi (not speaking about 3d experience or the likes)

After viewing the trailer in HD on my HD monitor it looks a tad bit cartoonish. Some of the character movement from the planet natives does look much more impressive than anything else I've see CGI wise.

Of course we are seeing it on a small screen where one tends to see more imperfections than one would on the big screen.

The hype is going to kill this movie. Stone dead.

Sad to say, but I agree with ya John. Much like a few here, this didn't seem to get the "WOW" from me that Cameron was hoping. To me, it really did seem to be.. well "meh". And before anyone says anything, I watched it a few times on an HD monitor. It still looked well, done before. Hopefully the 3D will get my wife's pants wet, but it didn't do nothing to me.

There's an exclusive 15 mins worth of 3-D footage being shown in selected cinemas across the UK & Ireland this weekend apparently.

Hopefully check it out Sunday.

and the naboo battle is pretty much what it was meant to be..in 1999 ten years ago. in fact it seems TMP might be more groundbreaking that this one in the quality of cgi (not speaking about 3d experience or the likes)

Yes, compared to TPM, both AotC and RotS looked underwhelming.

As for Avatar, I also got impression that Pandora looked like one of the planets from RotS, but this time completed, unlike fake-looking original versions.

After viewing the trailer in HD on my HD monitor it looks a tad bit cartoonish. Some of the character movement from the planet natives does look much more impressive than anything else I've see CGI wise.

Of course we are seeing it on a small screen where one tends to see more imperfections than one would on the big screen.

Sure, the movie isn't that photorealistic as it was advertised, but it looks better than any similar project of that kind. I never believed in the promises so now I am not disappointed nor tricked. I have strange feeling that the ones who criticize its look so much feel either fooled, or try to prove something to others or themselves by not succumbing to the hype that surrounds this movie.

Judging by the trailer itself the movie definitely looks gorgeous and the director's name warrants quality entertainment.

Judging from the trailer itself the movie definitely looks gorgeous and the director's name warrants quality entertainment.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like the guys from Halo are at war with elves (pointy ears and everything). I couldn't help but think that I was watching a trailer for a new video game. It's probably a movie for the Xbox generation so what do I know, right? Of course, I'm biased because I'm not a true Cameron fan.

Alex

Yes, compared to TPM, both AotC and RotS looked underwhelming.

As for Avatar, I also got impression that Pandora looked like one of the planets from RotS, but this time completed, unlike fake-looking original versions.

;)

Anyway this movie does not look better than others before.

It just has several Davy jones, gollum, yoda quality characters in the same movie instead of just one*. CGI forest and water has already been done, the metalic machines look far worse than others before them...

*and if you have a good sfx company devoted entirely for the movie, with several years of work, it's the least they can do.

dont get me wrong i cant wait to watch the movie, but part of the trailers look stunning, and many look undelwhelming. that's why im dissapointed.

Judging from the trailer itself the movie definitely looks gorgeous and the director's name warrants quality entertainment.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like the guys from Halo are at war with elfs (pointy ears and everything). I couldn't help but think that I was watching a trailer for a new video game. It's probably a movie for the Xbox generation so what do I know, right? Of course, I'm biased because I'm not a true Cameron fan.

Alex

I am not Xbox generation either and I haven't played Halo, but I enjoyed what I saw in the trailer and I like a fair number of Cameron's movies, so I assume I won't waste money if I buy a ticket. It doesn't bother me that most of it is animated - I'll approach it like any other 3-D kind of movie.

I am not Xbox generation either and I haven't played Halo, but I enjoyed what I saw in the trailer and I like a fair number of Cameron's movies, so I assume I won't waste money if I buy a ticket. It doesn't bother me that most of it is animated - I'll approach it like any other 3-D kind of movie.

i think that is another over statement from cameron's part.

all humans seemed real action, and also some real sets.

i mean this is less 'animation' than sky capitan and nobody says that movie is 'animation'. just a heavyly cgi driven action flick.

i'm not treating this movie like beowulf for example.

Judging by the trailer, it looks like the guys from Halo are at war with elfs (pointy ears and everything). I couldn't help but think that I was watching a trailer for a new video game. It's probably a movie for the Xbox generation so what do I know, right? Of course, I'm biased because I'm not a true Cameron fan.

Alex

That's exactly what my brother and I thought from the trailer. It starts out sort of promising, but once you get into the later parts where it's all CG environments, it's hard to take it seriously as a film.

The only really horrifically bad stuff in the trailer is the AWFUL mechas. Their animation is just atrocious. Transformers was out 2 years ago and puts these to shame. Infact, in general, making realistic CG metal was perfected last century, with the droids in Phantom Menace. Not sure how the hell they ended up looking so cartoony in this.

Also keep in mind folks, the VFX of this film are being done mainly by Weta, yes, but ILM are handling several sequences as near as I'm aware. Their render farm is probably far better suited to Cameron's vision, if nothing else.

No, I understand richuk. In fact, I was thinking exactly the same when I saw those poorly rendered/designed elves. The beginning of the trailer (the Halo part) is convincing but then it gets bad. The cgi is good enough for a video game, not for a movie.

the fist photo is a fine example.

the helicopterish vehicle looks CGI from a expensive videogame cutscene (metal gear, or something)

the plants were photorealistic on the other hand.