Sandor

They certainly ain't beneath me. I feel almost sorry for grumpy old farts who can't help but work themselves up over anything which might not please them. Anyone might think Cameron made Avatar just to get on their nerves. Cynicism is one thing, being a miserable c*nt is another.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I fail to see how Avatar is going to be anything more than just another ride at the fair.

Maybe I'm getting really cynical in my old age, but I can't help but feel this too. A very overhyped one, at that. Hope I'm wrong, though.

please tell me where the hype is. the internet perhaps but this movie isn't being hyped in the media. I've seen far more trailers and commercials for films to come than Avatar.

I want to love Avatar, don't get me wrong. I plan to see it anyways.

I'm just setting my expectations low so that something about the movie might pleasantly surprise me. My expectations were too high for the most recent Star Wars and Indy romps and, well, I might have been thrilled coming out of the theater, but that was before feelings of dread had time to fester.

Joey's right. I haven't seen a single Avatar commercial on TV yet. The first time I saw anything at Yahoo or MSN was for the trailer that came out the other day, and it arrived months after the teaser. I've seen an Avatar toy or two on the shelf, and seen articles for the video game at Gamespot, but if I didn't visit this site or check out AIC rarely, I would still think of Avatar as the Lord British RPG character.

The unpublicity of it is a marketing ploy.

They are screaming to the four winds the secrecy, and that always ups the expectation.

I think we are going to blow with the ammount of publicity it will get on december, when its innevitable for them to remain 'secret'.

There hasn't been a lot of hype in the traditional sense, but there's been a lot of mainstream media hype about this being the next big thing in film, big revolution, etc.

The AVATAR trailer is being played on TV stations here in Ireland and advises patrons to "BOOK NOW" in block capital print. They must be anticipating a TITANIC-style hit. I'll reserve judgment till I see it.

Do I hear a Zimmer "Now We are free" from GLADIATEHER type music in the opening minute of the new trailer?

Our popcorn bags have Avatar advertisements on them. There is hype.

thats not hype thats advertising.

Our theatre has 2012 bags, but I always ask for a bucket instead of a bag.

Why? You can fit more in a bag, depending on the size of said bag and bucket, of course.

because Dave and I are always passing it back and forth, its more sturdy, its larger usually. And it doesn't leak.

We always get the drink/popcorn combo for two, 12 bucks but all the popcorn and drink you can consume.

Our movie theatre popcorn isn't just good, its terrific.

I love popcorn during a film, although I usually have it eaten before the movie starts.

I will say this, regardless of whether or the not the film is a financial success, Cameron doesn't half ass it on a production. He puts everything he has to make the film as good as possible. If it fails it won't be from a lack of effort on his part.

I've found bags of Trader Joe's organic popcorn in the theater before. It was strange because there were in different theaters, same bag, and there's no Trader Joe's in the immediate area. I think they were on two separate floors too.

I dont introduce it inside certain areas of my body, that's for sure :lol:

Here it seems that we are more lax in the bringing of foraneus food into cinemas. Or at least the staff does not care...

I find it funny that in one brand of cinemas (Warner), in the pre-film ads with the looney tunes, Bugs bunny said it was prohibited to eat inside, while daffy duck was shown with a bucket of popcorn and a soda. In a new version Jhonny bravo said that the food shops did not close during shows and things like that. And they sell hot dogs, pizza and other big foods now.

i buy popcorn in candy stores near the cinema.

1 € per bag...

How do you smuggle it into the theater?

Theaters still have that rule? I thought everyone got rid of that awhile ago. My theater has allowed outside food and drink for years.

Certainly not. The theater in my area does not permit outside food or drink, because they sell it at the box office. A pack of gum is one thing, a bag of candy is iffy, but bringing a full bag of popcorn into the theater is ballsy. And yet I know someone who has admitted to taking in a few 6" hoagies in her purse, and everyone had lunch during the movie.

There is a theater in the big city near me that has a bar on the upper level, and permits people to bring their own booze into the theater. I find that silly, though, if you drink so many beers you have to break your seal, and then you miss some of the movie.

Well we don't advertise that you can bring in outside food and drinks. But if someone does, we won't stop them. One lady was chugging her Starbucks coffee before she handed me her ticket. I was like "Uh, you can bring that in, y'know?" It was funny.

i buy popcorn in candy stores near the cinema.

1 € per bag...

How do you smuggle it into the theater?

Theaters still have that rule? I thought everyone got rid of that awhile ago. My theater has allowed outside food and drink for years.

your theatre is stupid then, the majority do not allow outside food or drinks since thats the life blood of most theatres

Well, there's nothing like a sticky floor because of the pigs who spill the butter. And popcorn and butter can sometimes smell like feet if you're not the one eating it.

But there's something called common courtesy. A lot of the ticket price goes back to the filmmakers. Food and drink are cheap, and help pay the overhead expenses of running the place. Oh, and profit needs to be made, too.

It's the life blood of all theaters, since they make no money from box office sales. We still sell a shit load of stuff, people don't usually bring things in, because like I said before, we don't advertise it. One lady bought $60 worth of crap at the concession. Add ticket prices, people are spending $100+ at the movies. It's ridiculous.

Popcorn, potato chips and people who slurping their food should be banned in movie theaters.

Popcorn banned in movie theaters? That's heresy!

When eating in a public place one would hope that manners and consideration for others would be at the top of an eater's list.

Unfortunately, judging by the appearance of most public restrooms as well, people are either total slobs at home or figure they can make a mess because it's not their house.

But there's something called common courtesy. A lot of the ticket price goes back to the filmmakers. Food and drink are cheap, and help pay the overhead expenses of running the place. Oh, and profit needs to be made, too.

Must be different in spain, i mean, that ticket money maybe goes more to the cinema. or something. Because i have never heard that food is what makes a cinema profitable here.

Anyone worked at a cinema in Spain that can clarify it?

When eating in a public place one would hope that manners and consideration for others would be at the top of an eater's list.

Unfortunately, judging by the appearance of most public restrooms

yeah, UGH! :P

Unfortunately, judging by the appearance of most public restrooms as well, people are either total slobs at home or figure they can make a mess because it's not their house.

I think that's it. One guy threw up in our lobby because of Paranormal Activity, and he just pointed at it and told one of the ushers "Well, there it is." I'll go into theaters and there'll be a pile of hot wing bones on the floor. Just there, on the floor. That means the person ate them and just tossed them at their feet. Another time there were like 100 sun flower seed shells on the floor.

Disgusting. I hate people.

Must be different in spain, i mean, that ticket money maybe goes more to the cinema. or something. Because i have never heard that food is what makes a cinema profitable here.

I'm not Spanish but it there's a good chance that a lot of 'smaller' theaters can't cut it with movies alone. They count on expensive food and drinks to compensate for insufficient ticket sales.

Alex

I'm not Spanish but it there's a good chance that a lot of 'smaller' theaters can't cut it with movies alone. They count on expensive food and drinks to compensate for insufficient ticket sales.

Alex

I think that goes for multiplexes in general, they make their money more from the food and drink and stuff like bars. Which usually leads Hollywood idiots to believe that the downturn in ticket sales is down to P2P downloaders.

Which usually leads Hollywood idiots to believe that the downturn in ticket sales is down to P2P downloaders.

It's the ticket prices that are insane. It's cheaper to buy the DVD and next year (or so) it will be cheaper to own the Blu-ray, for Pete's sake! Hollywood is planning to strike back with 3-D.

Alex

Alex

Small, one screen theaters are extinct on my city (only one remains, i think). Maybe that's the reason...

Though i tended to evade them since small screen and crappy speakers and heads in front of you are not my cup of tea for big SFX blockbusters... so that could be also the reason people choose multiplexes.

Small, one screen theaters are extinct on my city (only one remains, i think). Maybe that's the reason...

Yeah, that's it! The concrete multiplexes are too big to survive on movies alone!

Can anyone remember the music from the teaser "Avatar" website before the site was updated? I heard a piece on our classical radio station yesterday from Brian Eno's "Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" album entitled "An Ending: Ascent" and it sounded remarkably like the original music on the first website. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

New TV Spot: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/353232/avatar_first_tv_commercial.html

I'll be honest, this is the first bit of advertising that has really caught me by the scruff of the neck and said "this movie looks really cool". Whether or not that has anything to do with the lack of dialogue, I don't know, but it's a really good spot and has renewed my faith a bit.

New TV Spot: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/353232/avatar_first_tv_commercial.html

I'll be honest, this is the first bit of advertising that has really caught me by the scruff of the neck and said "this movie looks really cool". Whether or not that has anything to do with the lack of dialogue, I don't know, but it's a really good spot and has renewed my faith a bit.

It still looks like a movie to promote a video game, even more so without the dialog.

Alex (will he be the last man standing?)