The Prisoner (2009)

Hitch

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm - I remember seeing that this was being redeveloped but had no idea it had got this far along until you posted that.......veeeeerrrry interesting!!

I'm very afraid of this. The original was wonderful, and very much of it's time. I have absolutely no doubt that this new version will not even attempt to challenge the viewer the way the original did. They'll probably try to explain everything away at the end as well. The original was inspired. This can only ever be a remake, nothing more.

Speaking of which, Christopher Eccleston was the one originally attached to this. I don't know why he decided not to do it. You'd figure GI Joe is a serious step down.

Didn't you say the same of the Doctor Who revival?

Actually I was really excited about the Dr Who revival. I knew it wasn't so much a revival as a continuation. I was very upset when they remade The Singing Detective though, but relieved the remake failed so miserably and therefore didn't ruin the reputation of the original.

A name cast doesn't always equal success.

The Prisoner was quirky and unique. Can this series be as bold or will it stick to the norm and play it safe?

No, it's rather a powerfull film. Uncompromising in what it's depicting.

It's a violent film. And all it depicts is a man being mercilessly tortured for 2 hours. No story, no purpose, just violence.

Correct.

Unfortunately we have to walk a tight rope when talking about religion in films but my wife, sister and her husband are devote christians and the film had an emotional and lasting impact on them.

Many Christians would disagree with you.

I'm sure the film is better if looked at from a religious perspective. But taken from a purely film perspective, it's nothing special. If it was made for Christians, then my mistake for watching it.

I'm sure the film is better if looked at from a religious perspective. But taken from a purely film perspective, it's nothing special.

Caleb Deschanel's cinematography was widely praised, even by those who did not care for the film.

I've grown to love the film (I admit it didn't completely win me over upon my first viewing), and I adore the score. I do think I would have preferred more treatment of the events surrounding the Passion and less focus on every "bloody" detail...but I respect what the filmmakers were setting out to do.

I'm sure the film is better if looked at from a religious perspective. But taken from a purely film perspective, it's nothing special.

Caleb Deschanel's cinematography was widely praised, even by those who did not care for the film.

Yes, I even praised it a few posts up.

I've seen a few making-of videos of this a few months ago, and remember it didn't look too good. It seemed to go into the direction of 'let's simplify it and make it easier and more explainable'. But hey, I'm still looking forward to this. I love the original series and its music.