Which choice of JW's score would you NOT...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few I wouldn't put up too much of a fight against:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jurassic Park

Yes, I know they're all big blockbuster scores. Forgive me for enjoying them. :lol:

Well, gosh. This questions is surprisingly hard if you want to give a genuine and thorough answer. Here's a temporary list.

Hook

Star Wars

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Close Encounters of The Third Kind

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Schindler's List

Always

Seven Years in Tibet

Regarding Temple of Doom, does anybody else feel this way about the score? I tend to enjoy scores and films that have a darker touch to them. I usually don't hear too much super-enthusiasm for this score, especially in comparison to Raiders. Perhaps it's just me. I just love the, uh...frenetic string and woodwind [particularly flute and piccolo - 6 piccolos for The Mine Car Chase! Huzzah!]. I love Short Round's Theme and March of the Slave Children. Perhaps I need some counseling - am I an advocate for child abuse? lol. I hope not. :|

I have a feeling that I will be editing this post based on my mood, on a daily basis. :lol:

[sits in the corner until someone is brave enough to list SpaceCamp]

Return of the Jedi (oh noes! it uses pre-existing themes!!!)

It is because of its use of preexisting themes that Return of the Jedi is such an awful score. Nobody I know likes it. The score is universally despised around these parts. Your sarcasm was well placed.

Regarding Temple of Doom, does anybody else feel this way about the score? I tend to enjoy scores and films that have a darker touch to them. I usually don't hear too much super-enthusiasm for this score, especially in comparison to Raiders.

On the contrary, I think you'll find that TOD gets an enormous amount of love from members here - in polls and discussions, it seems to receive very nearly as much attention as Raiders. I personally find the score to be extremely good, but just not quite as amazing as Raiders. And oddly enough, I actually find Raiders to be darker in some ways than TOD, with the exception of the choral material. I feel more genuine dread as Williams develops the Ark theme from its quiet beginnings through its most fearsome fortissimo.

...object to when someone declares it to be his best ever? :lol:

Burga - who'll compile his list in a while

There's ALWAYS some ass who will object to anything. So there's no score (or artistic work, for that matter) that won't draw criticism from ANYBODY.

However, most people would agree Jaws, E.T., Star Wars, Schindler's List, Empire Strikes Back, Harry Potter 1 + 3, Jurassic Park, A.I., Indy 1-3 are at the top of the list.

It is because of its use of preexisting themes that Return of the Jedi is such an awful score. Nobody I know likes it. The score is universally despised around these parts. Your sarcasm was well placed.

You don't know me?

Return of the Jedi is awesome score.

Haha, it may have a nostalgia factor attached to it. The 1997 RCA release was my first film score album.

I don't dislike any of the original trilogy scores though, they're all great.

...object to when someone declares it to be his best ever? :lol:

Burga - who'll compile his list in a while

There's ALWAYS some ass who will object to anything. So there's no score (or artistic work, for that matter) that won't draw criticism from ANYBODY.

However, most people would agree Jaws, E.T., Star Wars, Schindler's List, Empire Strikes Back, Harry Potter 1 + 3, Jurassic Park, A.I., Indy 1-3 are at the top of the list.

Yes but I'm asking for people's personal list. ;)

No, no, no. Its use of some preexisting themes is perfectly logical because of the film's use of preexisting characters!

But it didn't dwell wholly on those preexisting themes. Unless you've seen George Lucas' Ultimate Fan Boy Plaid Shirt Wet Dream Special Editions of Star Wars A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, in which both Ewoks and Luke and Leia's revealed love make their debut before ROTJ, besides the retconned Jabba and Ian McD Emperor. Have you?

So Return of the Jedi is universally despised because it used preexisting themes, but The Phantom Menace is embraced as a blood brother because it uses ten minutes of preexisting themes for every forty minutes of new themes and/or filler. See, I thought the score to ROTJ would be universally despised because the film is universally despised. My bad, jeeves.

Which choice of JW's score would you NOT object to when someone declares it to be his best ever? :lol:

Only the one that truly is - The Last Crusade.

Although I might let them get away with Empire.

I don't do 'best'. And judgement of such is down to the individual.

I'll get off the high horse now and say that I wouldn't mind most scores, as long as they don't have 'Star' in the title.

Jane Eyre

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Fury

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

ET

Return of the Jedi

Empire of the Sun

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Born on the Fourth of July

Hook

Schindler's List

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

AI

War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha

Well there's ALWAYS some ass who will overpraise everything but I would not object to:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

A.I.

Schindler's List

Memoirs Of A Geisha

CE3K

Jaws

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Jane Eyre

Superman

E.T.

Empire Of The Sun

The Towering Inferno

Jurassic Park

Being listed as his best ever.

The Towering Inferno

Hmmm, I guess I need to listen to that one, again. Can you tell us what you love so much about it, Mark?

I object to AI, and Raiders of the Lost Ark(or any Indy score), ESB(or any sequel score), Any HP score, Geisha, Hook, Always, Seven Years in Tibet, anything in the 00's, Schindler's list. Many of those scores are good or even great but not best ever.

Oh hell anything from 1990 on I would object to. His best was in the 70's and early 80's.

I would not object to Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, ET.

Tough. Very tough. I would say:

Jurassic Park

Empire

Raiders

Temple of Doom

Superman

E. T.

Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park

And maybe Hook

The Towering Inferno

Hmmm, I guess I need to listen to that one, again. Can you tell us what you love so much about it, Mark?

Well this list is subjective and it seems Joey and I are the only two who have much love for The Towering Inferno around here.

The main theme is one of Williams best. It's uplifting and full of grandeur. The score also features 2 of Williams' better love themes. "Planting The Charges", "Finale" and "An Architect's Dream" are 16 minutes of pure Williams. The film is not overscored with wall to wall music.

Its a great melodramatic score for a melodramatic movie. Perhaps the last of the great melodramas.

Hollywood is incapable of making a film like that today. Its a score with more range than most of JW's scores. Its jazzy, brassy, slow, emotional. And as Mark said its full of grandeur.

I don't think its his best score, I do however believe that it is the best disaster movie score of all time.

I could perfectly see any of these as being named Williams best score depending on a person's taste:

Star Wars

Empire

Temple of Doom

Raiders

Jaws

Superman

E.T.

CEOT3k

I still haven't worked out why people would object to someone saying they thought ROTJ is his best score. If I was to show any first-timers a whole Star Wars score, it would indeed be ROTJ.

I would not object to Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, ET.

Nor would I. Though I would elevate Jaws and Star Wars above the other three by a notch or so.

If I was to show any first-timers a whole Star Wars score, it would indeed be ROTJ.

Why?

I still haven't worked out why people would object to someone saying they thought ROTJ is his best score.

I don't think it's bad - actually, it's still among my favorite scores. I just don't think it's quite on par with its two predecessors, which are even more amazing.

I still haven't worked out why people would object to someone saying they thought ROTJ is his best score.

I don't think it's bad - actually, it's still among my favorite scores. I just don't think it's quite on par with its two predecessors, which are even more amazing.

So why do people exclude it from a list of films they would permit someone thinking to be the best score ever. I mean, it's like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back rolled into one, with 4 or so new themes and a whole batch of awesome motifs, and some of the most amazing performances of existing themes (Darth Vader's Theme on the harp, anyone?). Not to mention The Dark Side Beckons.

If I was to show any first-timers a whole Star Wars score, it would indeed be ROTJ.

Why?

Reasons I stated just above.

ROTJ is certainly a bit underated here, with all the love Empire gets ROTJ is hardly mentioned at all and it is a wonderful score. Then again I wouldn't say it could be considered THE best, but surely one of the best. The crap quality of the CD probably doesn't help though.

So why do people exclude it from a list of films they would permit someone thinking to be the best score ever.

This isn't about permitting. It's about agreeing. I love ROTJ, but there are other Williams scores I definitely love a little more. It's that simple...if someone else, such as yourself, does think it's a candidate for Williams' best, more power to ya. ;)

I mean, it's like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back rolled into one, with 4 or so new themes and a whole batch of awesome motifs, and some of the most amazing performances of existing themes (Darth Vader's Theme on the harp, anyone?). Not to mention The Dark Side Beckons.

Well, it's not Star Wars and ESB rolled into one - stylistically, it's quite distinct, despite some verbatim quotes. But it does indeed have many wonderful attributes, including the ones you mentioned, which is why it's among my favorite scores. I just know it's not at the top of the list. Is that...okay? :P

So why do people exclude it from a list of films they would permit someone thinking to be the best score ever. I mean, it's like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back rolled into one, with 4 or so new themes and a whole batch of awesome motifs, and some of the most amazing performances of existing themes (Darth Vader's Theme on the harp, anyone?). Not to mention The Dark Side Beckons.

Why?

Reasons I stated just above.

I still consider ROTJ to be the best Star Wars score and one of the finest in JW's career.

@ Datameister: Yes but re-read the topic. We're compiling lists of scores we would say "more power to ya" like you just did, if someone said they thought it was his best score.

Yet people are discriminately leaving the score off their lists, as though they would outright dispute anyone who thought ROTJ is his best score.

ROTJ is wonderful. I would never exclude it from my list.

Jaws

E.T.

Star Wars

Superman

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Return of the Jedi

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hook

There's nothing wrong with the score to ROTJ, but it's not one I would consider as one of his best.

And you would object to someone calling it the best?

Yes but re-read the topic. We're compiling lists of scores we would say "more power to ya" like you just did, if someone said they thought it was his best score. Yet people are discriminately leaving the score off their lists, as though they would outright dispute anyone who thought ROTJ is his best score.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original question. If we're being asked about which scores we think shouldn't be on anyone's lists of favorites, my answer is "None." People can enjoy whatever music they want. I personally wouldn't put ROTJ on my list of candidates for Williams' best score, because I can think of other scores that I'd definitely rank just slightly higher, but that's just me, and if other people disagree, that's totally cool.

Yes but re-read the topic. We're compiling lists of scores we would say "more power to ya" like you just did, if someone said they thought it was his best score. Yet people are discriminately leaving the score off their lists, as though they would outright dispute anyone who thought ROTJ is his best score.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original question. If we're being asked about which scores we think shouldn't be on anyone's lists of favorites, my answer is "None." People can enjoy whatever music they want. I personally wouldn't put ROTJ on my list of candidates for Williams' best score, because I can think of other scores that I'd definitely rank just slightly higher, but that's just me, and if other people disagree, that's totally cool.

Wow! I got through to someone today! What's going on?!

Oh right, a fleeting few of you are humoring me 'cos it's my birthday, right?

Indeed they are, but I still regard ROTJ as golden era Williams. I'll take it over the majority of his scores post 1983.

There are cues in ROTJ which are among his very finest, ever.

Indeed they are, but I still regard ROTJ as golden era Williams. I'll take it over the majority of his scores post 1983.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Wow! I got through to someone today! What's going on?! Oh right, a fleeting few of you are humoring me 'cos it's my birthday, right?

Don't flatter yourself...all I did was present my answer to another possible interpretation of the OP. My opinion on ROTJ remains exactly the same as it was - freakin' amazing score, but not the MOST freakin' amazing score in my book, and if someone else disagrees, that's their prerogative and I'm glad they enjoy the score even more than I do. However...happy birthday. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree.

Me too. ROTJ used to be my favorite Star Wars score, that has since been replaced by Empire Strikes Back, but I'll always cherish that score. The whole last act of it is astounding.