Which choice of JW's score would you NOT...

I still haven't worked out why people would object to someone saying they thought ROTJ is his best score.

I don't think it's bad - actually, it's still among my favorite scores. I just don't think it's quite on par with its two predecessors, which are even more amazing.

So why do people exclude it from a list of films they would permit someone thinking to be the best score ever. I mean, it's like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back rolled into one, with 4 or so new themes and a whole batch of awesome motifs, and some of the most amazing performances of existing themes (Darth Vader's Theme on the harp, anyone?). Not to mention The Dark Side Beckons.

I love the score, but not really for these reasons. Evidently no one realized I was being sarcastic. Of course RotJ isn't universally despised here. It's just a little less beloved than the first two Star Wars scores. Why you would make such an issue out of it I have no idea. If this bothers you so much how do you cope with people saying Attack of the Clones is a downright terrible score?

Like most of the "Golden Age" scores, RotJ presents a totally unique musical universe. Even though there plenty of returning motifs it doesn't feel like Star Wars or Empire. In the second half especially it has this profoundly simple/earthy feel. The Ewok music, flute solos and such contribute to this. I think it's justifiable to fault this score for the use of preexisting music, though. "Superstructure Chase" just isn't very interesting (it also sounds awful, but this was due to the circumstances of the recording). The end credits are nice, but I feel the regurgitated Star Wars ending* fails to truly sum up the trilogy.

*Not quite; it's the "concert suite" ending with the Throne Room melody rather than the Throne Room fanfare.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I wouldn't object to:

Images

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Empire Strikes Back

Hook

A.I.

I still haven't worked out why people would object to someone saying they thought ROTJ is his best score.

I don't think it's bad - actually, it's still among my favorite scores. I just don't think it's quite on par with its two predecessors, which are even more amazing.

So why do people exclude it from a list of films they would permit someone thinking to be the best score ever. I mean, it's like Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back rolled into one, with 4 or so new themes and a whole batch of awesome motifs, and some of the most amazing performances of existing themes (Darth Vader's Theme on the harp, anyone?). Not to mention The Dark Side Beckons.

I love the score, but not really for these reasons. Evidently no one realized I was being sarcastic. Of course RotJ isn't universally despised here. It's just a little less beloved than the first two Star Wars scores. Why you would make such an issue out of it I have no idea. If this bothers you so much how do you cope with people saying Attack of the Clones is a downright terrible score?

I also think 85% of it is a terrible score. And I'm not defending ROTJ for personal reasons. I just think it's ridiculous that someone would object to some poor innocent sap for thinking it is Williams' best...

Yes but re-read the topic. We're compiling lists of scores we would say "more power to ya" like you just did, if someone said they thought it was his best score. Yet people are discriminately leaving the score off their lists, as though they would outright dispute anyone who thought ROTJ is his best score.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original question. If we're being asked about which scores we think shouldn't be on anyone's lists of favorites, my answer is "None." People can enjoy whatever music they want. I personally wouldn't put ROTJ on my list of candidates for Williams' best score, because I can think of other scores that I'd definitely rank just slightly higher, but that's just me, and if other people disagree, that's totally cool.

Well, life would be boring if everyone acted in a PC way no? :P I do respect people's own tastes, but say if someone says ESB is William's best, at least internally I'd go 'That may not be what I think its JW's best ever, but thats a respectable choice and that person knows his stuff'. But if he claimed that say, Stepmom is the best score ever written.....well...I cannot help myself thinking at the very least 'Its his opinion, but say whaaaaat????'

I also think 85% of it is a terrible score.

Facepalm.

Are you facepalming my personal, private distaste for AOTC, or the fact that I responded in some stupid way?

And I'm not defending ROTJ for personal reasons. I just think it's ridiculous that someone would object to some poor innocent sap for thinking it is Williams' best...

Well, nobody objected to that.

And I'm not defending ROTJ for personal reasons. I just think it's ridiculous that someone would object to some poor innocent sap for thinking it is Williams' best...

Well, nobody objected to that.

People leaving it off their lists implied that, especially since many people made a point of including the first two Star Wars films.