So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Oh, come on!

Why is Ridley helping this guy so much anyway?? Now he's putting him in movies he also serves as a producer, like The Grey.

I really hope he brings something good this time, I really hated his Robin Hood score.

Oh, come on!

Why is Ridley helping this guy so much anyway?? Now he's putting him in movies he also serves as a producer, like The Grey.

I really hope he brings something good this time, I really hated his Robin Hood score.

A: he's been working with Ridley for decades and B: he probably likes his music.

What happened to the Scott that asked Howard Blake to score the first film?

Thank you for bringing this up! Amazing score!

And, of course, Blade Runner wouldn't be Blade Runner without its score (which is probably the most bootlegged score in film music history).

Alex

I'm not talking about misfires. That's a different discussion altogether. I'm talking about general priorities and artistic emphasis in a person's work. His first movies are almost silent movies (their stories were also kept to a minimum). They are not just beautiful but also very strong visual communicators. The visuals did all the talking and this, accidentally or not, made his first films highly open to interpretation. After or since Legend, I see a lot more water being added to the wine, and that goes for the narrative tone as well, which is 'slightly' more compromised by relying more on script, big events or spectacle, more clear-cut characters and exposing dialogue. Of course, this is also due to the times we are living in. The seventies style of moviemaking has disappeared from Scott's movies.

Alex

Yeah, I understand what you said, but I still don't agree. Everyone evolves -- both personally as an artist and adhering to the conventions of the time. What is so marvelous about Scott, IMO, is that he manages to keep his very distinct approach and trademark through ALL of this; through ALL his work. His prioritization of film as an audiovisual medium; audiovisual tableaux, but wrapping it in fairly traditional storytelling. That's been the case from THE DUELLISTS and to this day.

You don't have to agree. I'm trying to explain why I and a lot of other fans of Scott's first period no longer find satisfaction in his films after Blade Runner. In your perspective, the level of the visuals has never changed. Personally, I experience it quite differently. Simply put and to the point, the compositions of his shots are less artistic and creative. The moments when I'm visually impressed with Scott the visualist are scarce to none. I no longer see the obsessive detail he treated his first three films with (something Scott admits himself - he even named The Duellists and Blade Runner his only possible 2 auteur films - I knew there was a reason why I love them wink.gif. They surely are most referenced to by other artists, which I completely understand). The films are no longer that visually centered. It has become more functional, workable, more ordinary, formulaic, conventional and perhaps worst of all, more predictable. It's like with Alan Parsons Project, the first album is more experimental, more daring, more outwardly and ballsy in approach. Later they became tamer, user-friendlier, radio-friendlier with each record. Jean Michael Jarre? I can sorta listen to the first album, the other music I've heard from him is kitsch. I mention these artists because I know you love everything they do, from first note to the last. That's been always a difference between us. It seems to me that, once you love an artist, you are extremely loyal to the end. Perhaps so loyal that you do not see or hear clear anymore?

Alex

In short, Alex, Mr. Scott has become ordinary.

BTW: The Alan Parsons Project? Yes "TOMAI" is great, but "Pyramid" is better, especially "Hyper-Gamma Spaces".

As for Jean Michel Jarre: I defy anyone to hear "Zoolook" and not be both awed and stunned.

Indeed, it's like Scott no longer trusts the intelligence of the viewer. "Ordinary" is the right word, I think. I know he once said in an interview that he no longer looks at film as a form of art but as a business. Yes, Scott has always been a commercial filmmaker but his films used to have a fine balance between the artistic and the mainstream (a bit like Stanley Kubrick, BTW). You could view them from two totally different angels. In a sense they were million dollar art movies, expensive artsy fartsy movies financed by Hollywood. Boy, I remember I was shocked when I watched Someone to Watch Over Me in theaters. My god was gone.

Yes, Richard, "Hyper-Gamma Spaces" is one heck of a cool electronic track.

Alex

I've only seen Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven. And 1492 long ago. The Last Three bored me to death (even though Gladiator starts strong), and the first two are among my favourite films: one incredibly suspenseful, the other incredibly moving.

I think I'll see The Duellists because I'm a lot into fencing.

I don't know about Scott losing it. Much of Kingdom of Heaven is quite a spectacle. In its long version, of course. And much less of a Hollywood blockbuster than the theatrical version would lead you to believe. It feels more like a personal fetish on Crusades rather than a historical pick. And, as such, it is impressive.

Karol

I wonder why Alex is so endlessly obsessed with the "intelligence of mainstream", or rather how he percieves the intellectual capability of the average man on the street. He seems to be either intensely threatened by "them", a deep rooted self-doubt which rules his thoughts in spite of himself; or his own narcissistic designs require that he must constantly remind people that he's nothing like them. Either way, he strikes me as a rather troubled soul.

Strange post, Quint. As always, you seem to be very focussed on me personally. It only tells me that, unlike many, you don't see the difference or you are simply incapable of discussing such matters (and you like everything Scott has done so you take it personally that I say Scott's later films require less creativity and participation from the viewer). Why don't you explain your position towards Scott's evolution? I'm only basing myself on my personal viewpoint and I'm trying to explain for myself why Scott doesn no longer do it for me. Plus, I know that there are fans out there who love prefer his later work because they find his first films cold and distant (like Kubrick's films, as they put it).

Really crocs? Kingdom Of Heaven? No difference? I mean, I enjoyed it (and only the DC) but what I saw was certainly not of the same level as The Duellists, Alien or Blade Runner.

Alex

Strange post, Quint. As always, you seem to be very focussed on me personally.

I'm absolutely into a person's characteristics, yes. I'm fascinated by the various facets of the human condition - particularly (in this instance) the nuances of your postings I drew attention to a moment ago. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only person who notices these traits, though. You make it easy for someone like me to "focus" on you, it comes naturally to you. It ties into the narcissistic idea, interestingly.

However if you're telling me you're not into this particular spotlight then I'll apologise and say no more.

Edit: I see you added more to your post. I'll say no more on the subject.

Why don't you explain your position towards Scott's evolution?

Well, I'm just not that interested in the man; like in the way I am someone like Spielberg. For me Ridley peaked in the early eightees but I've continued enjoy his work very much right up to present day. I don't subscribe to the suggestion (or belief) that he's fallen into mediocrity. He's still well capable of knocking out a worthwhile movie.

It's being marketed as an Alien film. The formation of the title, the repeating sound, some background music, shots of the spaceship. A large part of the audience won't pick this up but film fans will.

I guess this is Scott's idea of how a sequel to Alien was supposed to be.

Also I'm going to wildly guess that the ship crashing happens at the climax of the film.

From the shaky trailer we can tell it will contain some mystery (the room with the giant face etc), contact with the other alien form, some action in varying g and a crash. Plus there's some weird shit that was mentioned way earlier. I don't know. It might work.

I think it will be at least a good film of the kind we don't see much. My only concern is the music. The only thing I've heard from Streitenfeld is Robin Hood and I found it quite uninteresting despite two or three tracks.

Jeez, some here showing what phony movie fans they are, watching an absolutely garbage preview of a much anticipated movie and forming an opinion of it, really?

I'll wait for the official release of any such promo media, thanks.

I didn't see any garbage. i think it's a good trailer. I hope they'll keep it.

I'll tell you if I agree when I see the legitamate trailer which is now surely incoming shortly; and not this garbage version.

I believe it will be better than Avatar.

Not very difficult to achieve.

Yeah, incidentally I reckon Die Hard is a much better movie than Forrest Gump.

You mean the quality? Hmm, I can see beyond that. I get the idea very well.

I'm sure we could all see beyond the terrible quality, but some lovers of film just prefer to see something somewhat anticipated in the best possible light. I know it can be difficult to reign in the excitable child when it comes to certain franchises, but we can at least try.

Let's keep in withing the sci-fi genre, Quint. IMO, Alien is a better movie than Avatar. Better looking, better dialog, better acting, better direction, better characters, better story, etc. I suppose it's going to be the same with Prometheus. Like Chaac says, it's not difficult to achieve.