So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

It was asleep, you idiot!

Yup, it was sleeping

Seriously? Why? didnt he saw/felt Ripley in the vicinity? how come that a killing machine is so sloppy?

Hey, when you're tired, you're tired! LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Prometheus Blu-Ray Cover

Looks... interesting.

QjF54.jpg

Yay! In a week or so, we'll know what Cremers thinks of this film! The wait is killing me! I'm sure it'll be more interesting than the film itself!

I already have come to the conclusion that the problem with Prometheus is Lindelof ... and Scott for hiring him. My biggest fear is that I will say: "OMG, it's beautiful but Lindelof is simply impossible to digest". It actually surprises me that, for Blade Runner 2, Scott went back to Hampton Fancher, the original screenplay writer. Of course, it was very difficult for Scott to go back to Dan O'Bannon, but hey, Ronald Shusett is still alive! Walter Hill and David Giler too, BTW.

I'm sure Lindelof will replace Fancher a few days before principal photography anyway.

You're late Messenger! I already posted that cover in the Blu-ray thread.

An Engineer is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when it's time to ruin a film.

Who reads the Blu-Ray thread anyway? You and LeBlanc?

:lol: I'm funny.

I already have come to the conclusion that the problem with Prometheus is Lindelof ... and Scott for hiring him. My biggest fear is that I will say: "OMG, it's beautiful but Lindelof is simply impossible to digest". It actually surprises me that, for Blade Runner 2, Scott went back to Hampton Fancher, the original screenplay writer. Of course, it was very difficult for Scott to go back to Dan O'Bannon, but hey, Ronald Shusett is still alive! Walter Hill and David Giler too, BTW.

Wait, I thought plot doesn't matter? If it looks beautiful it's a great film! *cough*300*cough*

I often ask myself what in the world that Blu-Ray thread is for.

What's the point of the future films thread?

I already have come to the conclusion that the problem with Prometheus is Lindelof ... and Scott for hiring him. My biggest fear is that I will say: "OMG, it's beautiful but Lindelof is simply impossible to digest".

Bingo.

Even though visually it doesn't offer anything you haven't seen before.

You're late Messenger! I already posted that cover in the Blu-ray thread.

An Engineer is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when it's time to ruin a film.

It wasn't the Engineer who was late. He arrived right on time to spoil the Blu-Ray thread. It was YOU who was late. Stop trying to pass your screw-ups to someone else!

I already have come to the conclusion that the problem with Prometheus is Lindelof ... and Scott for hiring him. My biggest fear is that I will say: "OMG, it's beautiful but Lindelof is simply impossible to digest".

Bingo.

Even though visually it doesn't offer anything you haven't seen before.

The writing just bogged down the film so badly. But visually, it's the most beautiful film to have come out in a while.

Never bothered to watch Prometheus in the cinema and I have a question for those who's seen it; Is there

any reason to purchase it on Blu? I have seen many negative reviews here but is there anything good in the film,

like great effects, good looking scenes or even good music? I understood that acting is horrible...

The visual effects are as good as anything else you'll find today. You'll hate the music, which I think is great. Acting ranges from good to meh, it's just the writing that brings everything down.

If I were you I wouldn't spend $20 on it. Maybe when the price drops a few months down the road.

The visual effects are as good as anything else you'll find today. You'll hate the music, which I think is great. Acting ranges from good to meh, it's just the writing that brings everything down.

If I were you I wouldn't spend $20 on it. Maybe when the price drops a few months down the road.

Completely disagree, I thought most of the special effects were astonishingly subpar

Completely disagree, I thought most of the special effects were astonishingly subpar

Strange. How can opinions about the quality of effects be different as night and day?

The climatic 'rolling' shot was like something out of an Emmerich movie, but not in a good way. More like in a gimmicky Lucas sort of way. Remember the conveyor belt sequence in Attack of the Clones?

Why not?

Because Prometheus is supposed to be a very serious piece of science fiction cinema. It's not Godzilla. Or at least it wasn't supposed to be.

Yes, it's an Emmerich situation but that doesn't mean the effects are of a subpar quality.

In general the sfx are solid, the creature work especially. Earlier, I was referring to the climatic spaceship shot, which would be horrendously out of place, if the movie before it had been any good. Turns out it fit right in, just like rubbish sfx do in Dr Who.

Strange. How can opinions about the quality of effects be different as night and day?

Koray is more forgiving than I am

They're not good or bad. They are just... digital.

Karol

Exactly. All the alien creatures looked like super obvious CGI, especially the

giant facehugger at the end

I can't wait to see this (after I've seen Prometheus):

Can't you just watch the damn movie before giving us your opinions about it? You've been interested in it since it was announced 3 years ago,I fail to understand why you haven't seen it yet and post comments in every thread we talk about it

And I bet you won't see Blade Runner 2 either whenever that comes out

For Alex, theorising, dissecting and conjecturing on a movie he hasn't actually seen is usually far more enjoyable than the movie itself. Come on KM, would you really rob him of one of his most simple yet satisfying pleasures?

Is it really so hard for you to bite your lip and suffer through it over and over again?

I don't think Scott's direction is bad or poor, what fails and fails miserably for the film is the story.

The acting is hit and miss too, Rapace is not an actress that can carry a film like this

I agree with all of that but the film could've overcome that if the style or direction was incredible. Now the film relied too much on the things you mentioned.

I don't think Scott's direction is bad or poor, what fails and fails miserably for the film is the story.

The acting is hit and miss too, Rapace is not an actress that can carry a film like this

But given the calibre of both the director and the [earlier] franchise, those misgivings are unacceptable and where they might be forgiven or even overlooked in another film are in fact very serious and major flaws here.

given the calibre of both the director and the [earlier] franchise, those misgivings are unacceptable and where they might be forgiven or even overlooked in another film are in fact very serious and major flaws here.

That's the main problem.

quint, when you use the word Franchise like you did that is like saying that Alien3 or Alien 4, or AVP, or AVPRequiem are upstanding members of the Franchise.

Visually Prometheus is a striking as any effects films ever, moreso that Alien or Aliens. However those films are the only two that have the total package.

Prometheus is an average film in an uneven Franchise.

But yes Ridley Scott is responsible as director to say this script has serious issues that we need to address before we proceed.

It's unacceptable (mind you, most people think it's a very good movie) because the film uses Lindlof almost as the sole driving force. I would be more forgiving if I was compelled by the 'how' but I wasn't. They say in Blade Runner and Alien, the atmosphere was the statement. I don't see them say that anytime soon about Prometheus.

quint, when you use the word Franchise like you did that is like saying that Alien3 or Alien 4, or AVP, or AVPRequiem are upstanding members of the Franchise.

given the calibre of both the director and the [earlier] franchise,

Specifically, Alien and Aliens.

It's unacceptable (mind you, most people think it's a very good movie)

I'm not sure they do. Initially, it was trendy, but I'd wager that phenomenon is fading fast.

Also, ignoring the dreadful script, characters and everything else, I'm sure I'm the only person I know who didn't even think it was particularly special to look at either.

I don't think it will be looked at very well long term.

The average joe might have liked it, but the movie geeks have a final say

just like Krystal Skull and the Prequels have high Rotten Tomatoes ratings they are not well looked at now

I'm sure I'm the only person I know who didn't even think it was particularly special to look at either.

Sorry, it was the same for me. Worse, the whole time I was watching I didn't really feel the world of Prometheus, I was looking at a couple of sets. The world didn't seem to exist outside the frame.

Koray is more forgiving than I am

They're not good or bad. They are just... digital.

Karol

Exactly. All the alien creatures looked like super obvious CGI, especially the

giant facehugger at the end

What isn't obvious CGI these days? Whenever it's there, you know it's fake. Whether it's I Am Legend or The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, you know it's CGI.

The ship and the planet itself were extraordinarily well done.

That's a great way of putting it actually.

Maybe because they didn't actually go anywhere besides the landing zone.

I'm sure I'm the only person I know who didn't even think it was particularly special to look at either.

Sorry, it was the same for me. Worse, the whole time I was watching I didn't really feel the world of Prometheus, I was looking at a couple of sets. The world didn't seem to exist outside the frame.

I'm not into the visuals either. No imagination.

You guys are crazy if you don't think the visual style was impressive in Prometheus - it was an astonishing achievement! The sets and landscapes and visual design was top notch for me. It's when it turned into another monster movie where everyone starts getting chased by obvious cgi monster #327 that is the visual problem.

I agree that it looked good, especially on big screen. Even 3D was done rather well. I loved the first 10 minutes of the film, where there is no plot and characters. It's similar to the opening of Alien and the best part of this film. And that's mostly down to set designs and visual skill of Ridley Scott.

When everyone wakes up... well... that's when the film starts to fail.

Karol

That's not what he meant at all, Koray.

Tangibility.

Some movies manage to give the viewer the impression that the world is a lot vaster than what it is actually showing. You feel that you are only see a fraction of the universe. For me, Prometheus failed to do that big time. The first time I felt there was a world 'outside the frame' was when I saw Star Wars in 1977. It's also one of the reasons why Christopher Nolan loves Blade Runner and what he hopes to achieve in his movies.