So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Prometheus takes place in the same universe as Alien. It's set a few years before, but on a different planet.

I don't care what Scott says. Fuck him. Fuck Lindelof. It's a prequel.

The film takes place 29 years before the events of ALIEN.

Up untill I wrote my review, I was convinced it took place on LV-426 (even though it's called LV-223 in the movie)....so the same planet/moon as the first two movies. However, the film doesn't end in a way that bridges the two movies, so I started to speculate if this was indeed a different planet. And from some reports, that also appears to be the case. But I'm still waiting for Lindelof or Scott to comment on that.

If they are indeed separate planets, the third of my three issues with the film (.i.e. the plot holes) fall away, which means there will only be two elements that could have been improved to give the film a 'classic' status - Pearce's make-up and the superficial treatments of some secondary characters.

In other words, the film was brilliant to begin with, but is now becoming even better!

I've been looking forward to this one for awhile. After reading everyone's thoughts, I expect it to be shit. Oh well. If The Dark Knight Rises delivers then there'll be 1 good movie that came out this Summer.

Maybe if you're expecting the worst, the film will surprise you after all? I would like to hear your opinion, Koray, so make sure you watch it.

The rought cut of TDKR apparently got a standing ovation from film execs at some point so it might be good... I mean those people know how to make a good film... right? ;)

Wait, wait. What about Moonrise Kingdom? I liked that one.

Karol

Good. It's a very good planet. In fact the best planet I've seen in quite a while.

Karol

What about Venus passing by the Sun tonight?

Why is everyone (Quint and others) Prometheus is shit in every thread ?

Does everyone here have access to pre-release viewings of movies?

Yea, it may not come out in North America until this Friday, but it came out overseas 2 weeks ago

Well Ebert certainly is glowing in his praise for the film.

http://rogerebert.su...VIEWS/120609989

Roger Ebert gave it Four Stars.

I reckon he's a very uninteresting reviewer. Most of them consist of recounting the story. Maybe he used to be good, I don't know, but now he's lazy and boring to read.

There, I said it.

Karol

Ebert appeals to me because he's an enthusiastic moviegoer who's mind is completely open and so snobbery isn't something he's interested in. I've disagreed with the man absolutely loads of times, though. And that is good.

He's flat out wrong about Prometheus. Alternatively, the Empire review I found to be more accurate.

Just watched it. I definitely enjoyed it, but figuring out how much I enjoyed it is going to require some processing. I'm not sure it connects very well with Alien at all; I may find it necessary to pretend it's a reboot of the series that would lead to a version of Alien with some radical differences from the original. In which case, it'd be hard to justify the movie as anything but an entertaining failure.

Then again, it may be that all the suggestion and ambiguity works for, rather than against, the movie, in which case it's a bit of a triumph. Thing is, I don't know which is the case.

Yet.

But I'd happily watch the movie again tomorrow, and that's a fine thing to say about a movie.

Ebert appeals to me because he's an enthusiastic moviegoer who's mind is completely open and so snobbery isn't something he's interested in. I've disagreed with the man absolutely loads of times, though. And that is good.

He's flat out wrong about Prometheus. Alternatively, the Empire review I found to be more accurate.

He is enthusiastic, I agree. And seems more sincere than most top reviewers (whatever that is). But I can't say he's saying all that much.

Karol

I thought about it the other day. The ideas behind the fim, themes and general take is quite interesting... as a few paragraph descripiton. It could have been a very thought-provoking film, had it not been so in your face. The script ruins the concept. You can't just make films about the very nature of life and then deiver it like this. That's more insulting than Transformers, which is at least honest about what it tries to be. Which is nothing.

So yeah the ideas behind the film are worth exploring and interesting. The film itself, however, is a turd.

Karol

Just watched it. I definitely enjoyed it, but figuring out how much I enjoyed it is going to require some processing. I'm not sure it connects very well with Alien at all; I may find it necessary to pretend it's a reboot of the series that would lead to a version of Alien with some radical differences from the original. In which case, it'd be hard to justify the movie as anything but an entertaining failure.

Then again, it may be that all the suggestion and ambiguity works for, rather than against, the movie, in which case it's a bit of a triumph. Thing is, I don't know which is the case.

Yet.

But I'd happily watch the movie again tomorrow, and that's a fine thing to say about a movie.

Why, thank you for chiming in. I think that's about as close as I get to a fellow fan of the movie in this place.

Karol is right about the ideas - as I myself stated after seeing it - there's a bottomless well of possibilities there to be discovered and brought to light. Which makes the movie even more depressingly awful when one realises what a complete mess they made of the execution.

I decided that the best way for me to describe my relationship with the movie was like this: Prometheus is one of those movies that is a sequence of scenes, lined up in a queue, one after another. None of those scenes know each other, and they move forward when it's their turn. Like a Harry Potter movie and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I can't connect to movies which don't feel like a cohesive whole.

Karol is right about the ideas - as I myself stated after seeing it - there's a bottomless well of possibilities there to be discovered and brought to light. Which makes the movie even more depressingly awful when one realises what a complete mess they made of the execution.

I decided that the best way for me to describe my relationship with the movie was like this: Prometheus is one of those movies that is a sequence of scenes, lined up in a queue, one after another. None of those scenes know each other, and they move forward when it's their turn. Like a Harry Potter movie and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I can't connect to movies which don't feel like a cohesive whole.

And here I was, thinking that I'd recommend some French New Wave films to you.... ;)

The real problem of the film is that it took too long to be made. Had it been made earlier, it would have been better.

I still have hope that an eventual Director's cut might fix some of the film's issues, though.

And here I was, thinking that I'd recommend some French New Wave films to you.... ;)

That's the thing though, isn't it: avant-garde cinema doesn't tend to have much in the way of issues with un scénartistes, désigner du regard and montage ;)

those of you who have seen it, did you see it in 3D?