So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

Deep resonanant trailer voice making the room shake:

First they created Arcadia. It was paradise. Then, out of mere boredom, they created the human race. Now paradise has turned into hell.

From the director of Alien, Gladiator and Prometheus: Paradise.

Can the creator undo his mistakes?

I dunno but it sounds like a B movie to me, folks.

Quick comment on the cgi, I though the film looked really impressive EXCEPT the disintegrating engineer at the start (which sadly took me.right out of the film) and the snake creature inside whatshisname,s helmet. I was surprised by those scenes fake-ness. I'm normally pretty forgiving of CGI...

The xenomorph at the end was some awful CGI...looked very cheap. Besides that and what Mr. Josh mentioned, I was very impressed by the visuals of the film.

I agree, some of it was seriously stunning. And yeah, k.k., I forgot....i really hated the design of the xenomorph creature. It just didn't look right to me....could have made it more giger-esque...that would have helped. And Jason, I honestly can't remember the huge hugger thing very clearly...i mean I don't remember if I though it looked good or bad cgi... I do want to see the film again on Blu Ray. And I want to see the deleted extended engineer scenes.

I have to say, I really did like the design and execution of the engineers. Cool suit, great makeup/ face.

The xenomorph at the end was some awful CGI...looked very cheap. Besides that and what Mr. Josh mentioned, I was very impressed by the visuals of the film.

Can you elaborate, K.K.? I want to have a better grip on why so many people are impressed with the visual side of Prometheus. Most of what I saw was like that octopus creature, unimaginative and weakly designed. To me, the whole film was disappointedly low on atmosphere partly because of its visuals. One of the main reasons why I love Scott's first movies is because of the incredible tangible atmosphere they evoke. In Alien, the camera, almost as if it has a mind of its own, sometimes seems to wonder off to roam around the strange (retrofitted, organically grown rather than built) and layered sets, giving the Nostromo a kind of consciousness. The film makes time atmosphere. I did not find back any of that in Prometheus. In fact, I thought the movie was hardly interested in creating atmosphere. It's much more occupied in tightly filming the script with as little extra possible. Beauty is in the fat, not in the skeleton.

I saw nothing that made me think, this will change the science fiction genre or influence people's lives on a significant scale. Too much to ask, you say? Well, maybe, but it's just goes to illustrate how I see the film, namely, as a needless 'flatliner'.

Alexandre

Not here, this one reeked of sterile try-hard, I thought.

The amount of flak Lindelof gets for this film disturbs me. In this day of age, with unlimited information at our fingertips, you'd think one would be smart enough to realize he was brought in to rewrite a script.

? Really? Sometimes the things that come out of your mouth disturb me. Lindelof gets the blame like Koepp gets blamed for "Wubbleyou" and "I like Ike". What's so perplexing here, Koray? Why are you always so quick to defend mediocrity?

Don't forget to back up your findings with Wikipedia and the sumptuous abundance of theories readily available on internet forums. Only then might the secrets of Prometheus be unlocked. If you're still non-the-wiser after all that, try complimenting your research with a viewing of the movie itself.

Why is Vickers unfamiliar with Christmas? Why are people so sick when they get out of stasis when no-one was sick in the Alien movies? What is the significance of having Jerry Goldsmith's music play when Weyland's hologram appears? Why do people wear thongs on the ship when this would be in violation of strict OH&S?

The amount of flak Lindelof gets for this film disturbs me. In this day of age, with unlimited information at our fingertips, you'd think one would be smart enough to realize he was brought in to rewrite a script.

That's a good point, actually. But then again, he's been so present in media, you can't help but blame him. ;)

Karol

Because it's made for a mediocre audience, I'm afraid.

It's the films that are mediocre, not the audience.

Then ask yourself, why is the audience applauding? I mean, what's the reasoning behind this statement?

What audience is applauding?

You're calling mediocre those who don't share your tastes. I think that it's the film that is mediocre, because it sucks and it's a fixed thing, but the audience is everchanging.

What audience is applauding?

The biggest part of the audience is applauding. That audience, of course.

I think that it's the film that is mediocre, because it sucks

Not according to the general audience. Most people like the film. Those who think it sucks are in a minority.

"The audience"... It's such a vague word... You can put pretty much nothing and everything in it...

The audience is all of us. You will have a hard time to prove to me that the film is generally disliked.

I still haven't talked to a single person who actually liked the film.

So? I did.

Yes, it's made for the general audience of which you and I are a part of, but it doesn't mean everybody has to like it. Most do, however.

What a mediocre discussion, BTW.

I still haven't talked to a single person who actually liked the film.

Same here

So? A few like-minded 'friends' are proof that the audience thinks Prometheus sucks? Sorry, but I can't take that into account.