Variety reports Spielberg's next film after Tintin will be........

Ollie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the story of an amiable eccentric, Elwood P. Dowd, and his friendship with a six and one-half foot tall invisible rabbit, and how it affects every member of his family and community.

...Oh dear.

I will say the original with Jimmy Stewart is pretty good, although some here may be turned off because it's in Black & White and made in 1950.

Besides the film being in black and white, is there ANYTHING about the film's story that would justify it being remade? Ugh. I'd rather have him do a 5th Indy film than this...

No there is no reason I can think of to remake this film.

But it wouldn't be the first time Spielberg did a remake of film (Always) that left me scratching me head as to why

I think you people might be looking at this the wrong way. I do not see it so much as a remake of the old film, but rather another adaptation of the play. Did people complain like this when multiple versions of Jane Eyre were made?

Well certainly an unexpected film from Spielberg but interesting none the less. This play has been adapted numerous times for TV in the past but I guess Spielberg found the material appealing and topical to make another one.

production starting in early 2010.

Film released by end of 2010 confirmed.

Meanwhile, I just added another one to the list. ;)

Seriously, in the last 8 months or so, we went from John Williams possibly scoring some distant upcoming Spielberg movie... Lincoln, and/or Interstellar...

to:

Definite Tintin I (scored between 2009-10)

Quite Possible Deathly Hallows Part I (end 2009)

Quite Probable Deathly Hallows Part II (2010)

Almost Definite Harvey (2010)

Probable Tintin II (2011)

Almost Definite Indiana Jones V (2011)

Probable Lincoln (2012)

Possible Tintin III (2013)

Possible Interstellar (2013?)

Possible Indiana Jones VI (2014)

Possible Matt Helm (2014?)

Quite Possible Chicago Olympics Theme (2015)

BOWIE: you listed Deathly Hallows part 1 in 2009 which is not possible...

"Scored in..." 2009. The dates I added were meant to be about Williams' timeline, not so much the films' releases.

It's confirmed because you said so?

Firstly, it's a joke, dude. Secondly, Spielberg is infamous for starting and finishing the production and release of films in incredibly short amounts of time. It really is almost a confirmation that the film will be out by the end of next year.

Spielberg is not directing Matt Helm, he's producing it.

I read that he was "eying the director's chair". Do you have a link to an amended news source?

I think you people might be looking at this the wrong way. I do not see it so much as a remake of the old film, but rather another adaptation of the play. Did people complain like this when multiple versions of Jane Eyre were made?

...or Ben-Hur.

I agree, I find the fear of remakes to be irrational to begin with (most suck, but then, most films suck), but repeated adaptations certainly have given us some of the best-remembered movies of all time.

Interesting. At first I thought: "Boy, what a waste", but then I started checking information about the original movie, and it could be something interesting for Spielberg. He hasn't directed anything like it before, and he is very light-hearthed, so it could be perfect for him. And if it's released next year, I don't think Williams will have any problem writing the score for a film like this. I mean, he could do it with both hands tied...

If I'm correct, "Tintin" score is practically done... Soon he will start scoring DH part 1, maybe Harvey too... And next year he'll only have to score DH part 2. Schedule problems? Yeah, right!

well let's not forget (hmm that post maybe belongs into that insane DH thread)

Geisha and Munich came out in the same month...,

WOTW and ROTS 1 Months apart,

HP3 POA and The Terminal 2 weeks apart

If spielberg aims for a dec. release, as he mostly does and DH comes out in Nov., I don't think it will cause a schedule conflict for Williams

I can imagine DH will have a rough cut that williams can score pretty soon.. what do you think?

If I'm correct, "Tintin" score is practically done...

where for god sakes did you get this???

where for god sakes did you get this???

Well, Peter Jackson said recently that Spielberg has just finished the first cut, and that he (Jackson) had still to see it and approve it. Then rendering will start, which takes two years, according to him.

And Conrad Pope at the very first days of July stated on his Facebook that he had just began orchestating "Tintin". That's why I suppose JW could have already written most of the score.

Of course, I could be wrong, but... It's a nice speculation, isn't it?

If spielberg aims for a dec. release, as he mostly does and DH comes out in Nov., I don't think it will cause a schedule conflict for Williams

I can imagine DH will have a rough cut that williams can score pretty soon.. what do you think?

The perfect setup for them having to hack up Williams' score when they do some late editing changes and Williams is no longer available to adapt the score. ;)

Seriously, in the last 8 months or so, we went from John Williams possibly scoring some distant upcoming Spielberg movie... Lincoln, and/or Interstellar...

to:

Probable Lincoln (2012)

What the hell happened to the London 2012 Olympics theme?

You have got to be kidding...

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but Dan, you need to stop thinking about John Williams for a few days ;)

to:

Probable Lincoln (2012)

What the hell happened to the London 2012 Olympics theme?

You have got to be kidding...

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but Dan, you need to stop thinking about John Williams for a few days ;)

No I don't, Rich.

And what do you mean 2012 theme? Has he signed on to do this without me being aware? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that since Seoul, Williams has only been offered to write music for American Olympic Games. As for Indy 6, do you really think this is unlikely? It's George Lucas we're talking about, and Indy 5 is already green-lit.

Indy 5 is already green-lit.

Lucas is working out the story. That doesn't mean it's green-lit. Green-lit means there's a studio willing to distribute and finance, a production budget, and a final script.

I would think Williams would like a more polished rough cut if he does DH part 1 (not something extremely rough without any finished special effects to work with). Mind you, despite that IMDB's claiming that DH part 1 is in post-production, they're still shooting scenes for Part One. A couple of them, like the wedding, don't shoot until next week.

And as for "Matt Helm," I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg starts shooting by the end of the year rather than waiting for January 2010 to start. Heck, Indy 4 began shooting within a very short period of time after Paramount and Lucas confirmed it was in production.

A lot of people in the film industry have enough money to finance their own projects, that doesn't mean they are willing to. Spielberg could have easily paid the $50 million to finance Lincoln out of his own pocket but he didn't.

Lucas financed the prequels himself didn't he. Just paid Fox to distribute them for him I believe.

Fox paid Lucasfilm for the distribution rights, but yes he did pay for the films out of his own pocket.

Well whatever, my point is Indy 5 is not green-lit.

No, it has not been greenlight by Paramount or Lucasfilm. All that we know is that Lucas/Spileber may have an idea. But no script or outline has been written.

This is unexpected, definitely, but it's good news as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad that Spielberg is (seemingly) going to crank this one out, which means we won't have to wait an eternity between films (and JW scores). I also love this story (I played Elwood P. Dowd in a college production of Harvey), and I think Spielberg could really do a good job with it. For whatever reason, the cynic in me is unusually absent at the discovery of this news.

A sweet, lovely JW comedy/family score sounds wonderful to me.

What a snoozefest. I mean, honestly, who cares about a remake of a movie that most of the public can't even remember? And no, just because the original is mostly forgotten by the general public doesn't justify a remake now.

$*@!@ it, Spielberg is so boring now.

This is what happens when the Academy finally coughs up some mercy Oscars to somebody. They start crapping out bore-turds like what he's done since Schindler.

I'm not going to dive into my "Hollywood is creatively bankrupt" diatribe again, much to the relief of everyone.

Oh, and Michael: nice avatar.

I have a level of enthusiasm pretty much on par with Jeffrey.

And why do they have to take up 5 paragraphs to say what they could have said in 3 sentences - I really, really hate press releases.