Williams 6th Oscar

Muad'Dib

33 members have voted

1. 1. If "Munich hadn't been nominated, do you think "Memoirs..." would have won?

• Yes!
    • Probably
    • Maybe
    • I'm not sure
    • Probably not. The Acamedy just nominates him to piss him off
    • Hell no! Gustavo Santaolalla rocks!

What do you think? If John Williams wouldn't have nominated for "Munich", and only for "Memoirs..." do you think he would have won his 6th Oscar?

Because it's a really interesting theory that for being nominated for two scores his votes divided. Probably together they would have won over Sataolalla...

What's your opinion?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think there's a lot of vote splitting for a composer. Brokeback was going to win that year whether Williams was nominated once, twice, or not at all.

If Munich was the reason Gustavo won, then it's sort of a trade off. By being nominated for Munich, Williams lost an Oscar award, which I think we all can agree is more devestating than not being nominated for a particular score. However, this particular nomination was the one that tied Williams with Alfred Newman as most nominated composer. Winning an Oscar would have "just" been another award for the shelf, the double nomination tied a record.

I would've preferred Williams won the Oscar even if that meant not being nominated for Munich, but at the very least we can say that the 2005 Academy Awards were still a landmark moment in Williams' career.

I voted for probably not, but that really all depends if a different score would've taken Munich's place. If that's the case, the votes would've been split anyway, just for another score.

He'll definitely get one similar to Morricone.

I doubt it. Those Honorary Oscars don't usually go to people who already have 5 Oscars sitting on the shelf. Those are more along the lines of "Holy crap, you're going to die soon and you've never won an Oscar!" type awards. The only composers who've ever been given one are Morricone and Alex North who'd won a whopping total of 0 competitive Oscars.

I expect they'll throw one of those Honorary Oscars to Elfman and Thomas Newman if they don't win one in the next decade.

I voted probably. It was obviously down to Brokeback and Memoirs, and we have no idea how close it was (I'm thinking very!) but I suspect some people were looking for a way to reward Memoirs (those who voted for Brokeback as Best Pic), a lot of people were looking for even more ways to reward Brokeback (those who didn't vote for Crash as Best Pic), and a very small percentage actually voted according to quality, and split evenly between Memoirs, Munich, and the others.

Not enough of the people in the last category unfortunately.

Munich should have won.

I'm sure JW disagrees. Since he was heavily promoting Memoirs.

Yes, I was just gonna say that. Also, Memoirs sounds more like good Oscar-bait than the somber Munich.

-Tom, who was fascinated by Memoirs when it came out and now can't recall when was the last time he's listened to it.

Gustavo is more of a genius than that musically illiterate hack Williams.

And winning back-to-back Oscars sealed his status as a total genius :thumbup:

In the after-life, it's going to be him, Waxman and Menken, sitting in the VIP section, drinking White Russians, mocking the mere mortals who could only win an Oscar one year at a time, or just get an honorary Oscar. I'm looking at you, North, Morricone and Thomas Newman (you know that's the only one he's going to get).

Meh, what do awards really mean anyhow? They are mostly popular and not awarded based on their functionality in their respective film. For a while, the Oscars were awarding really good composers like Tan Dun, Goldenthal, Corigliano, and Shore. That ended with "Finding Neverland" in my opinion and the trend for mediocre scores continues although Marrionelli's win was okay. Certainly better than Santaolalla and Rahman.

Memoirs is much stronger Oscar bait than Munich. The latter wouldn't have beat the popularity of Brokeback.

Well, most people think so, yes (and I do too).

However, the thing is, MUNICH was also nominated for BEST PICTURE. So what does that tell us?

Munich was as likely to win an Oscar as Memoirs was. And also as UNLIKELY, probably.

I really don't think there's a lot of vote splitting for a composer. Brokeback was going to win that year whether Williams was nominated once, twice, or not at all.

Yes, considering it didn't get Best Picture.

Meh, what do awards really mean anyhow? They are mostly popular and not awarded based on their functionality in their respective film. For a while, the Oscars were awarding really good composers like Tan Dun, Goldenthal, Corigliano, and Shore. That ended with "Finding Neverland" in my opinion and the trend for mediocre scores continues although Marrionelli's win was okay. Certainly better than Santaolalla and Rahman.

I agree, Dave. By their own incompetent decisions they've made the Best Score award almost meaningless.

I dunno, FotR was certainly a tough contender. I would've preferred to see either of the Williams scores win, but it was much less of a travesty considering the fact that Shore wrote a very good score.

Is Shore the only composer to win two "Best Score" awards for the same franchise?

I dunno, FotR was certainly a tough contender. I would've preferred to see either of the Williams scores win, but it was much less of a travesty considering the fact that Shore wrote a very good score.

Is Shore the only composer to win two "Best Score" awards for the same franchise?

What amazes me is the fact that FotR actually won. I mean, what the hell, a GOOD score never wins an Oscar (at least in the past 2 decades or so)! So that shook me a little.

:lol:

I agree, Dave. By their own incompetent decisions they've made the Best Score award almost meaningless.

I think the judges for the Best Score oscar should be those dearly departed

Alex North

Jerry Goldsmith

Erich Korngold

Bernard Herrmann

Alfred Newman (Tom would have won at least one friggin award by now!)

Prokofiev

Vaughan Williams

Tiomkin

Steiner

Rosza

Fielding

only problem is I hear the courier fees for the sweet hereafter are a real bitch!

I'm glad someone else finds Finding Neverland to be a mediocre score.

As to the question, I'll say maybe. In 1977 Williams was nominated twice for Star Wars & CE3K with 3 other weak scores and managed to win.

Munich is a piece of shit, shouldn't have been nominated for best score, maybe snore, and definately not best picture.

As to the question, I'll say maybe. In 1977 Williams was nominated twice for Star Wars & CE3K with 3 other weak scores and managed to win.

You're glad because... ;) What a stupid post. But not surprising.

I wouldn't say your post is any better.

It's impossible to say unless we can see the vote tallies. For all we know, Munich plus Memoirs combined received more votes than Brokeback Mountain, but Brokeback Mountain came out on top with the most individual votes.

If that's the case, it's like the Election of 1912: Taft vs Roosevelt vs Wilson = Wilson wins via split Republican vote. But Mark's point about the 1977 Oscars proves that a split field doesn't automatically guarantee victory to the third party.

Yes I know your posts are stupid

You excel at cluttering up the message board with worthless junk. The fact that someone who has more music intellect than you can concieve finds Finding Neverland mediocre is refreshing.

But your little brain can't comprehend.

Joe laughing at Mark trying to be nasty, even your insults are nice.

Well when dealing with children you have to tread lightly and not speak to them as you would an adult.

well the main thing to do when dealing with Josh is to make sure he's put his helmet on before you let him have it.

You should have waited for another post to get back at Mark. He really doesn't need to do any further explanation here.

Well when dealing with children you have to tread lightly and not speak to them as you would an adult.

That's what I was thinking. Only replace children with "old men."

OK, I'm done talking to asses now... why bother?

You should have waited for another post to get back at Mark. He really doesn't need to do any further explanation here.

Mark is just that way not because of what I say, but because it's me. He's that kind of ass****.

All right, back to the topic.