Super Mario Galaxy - The Music

Bowie

Just listen, if you haven't heard it before. (I'll let the music do the talking for now!)

End Credits (Main Theme from Super Mario Galaxy)

Buoy Base Galaxy

Gusty Garden Galaxy

Bowser's Galaxy Reactor

The Comet Observatory (Three Versions)

Melty Molten Galaxy

Ghostly Galaxy

Space Junk Galaxy

Honeyhive Galaxy

The Bowser Battle music has some similarities with Pirates of the Caribbean, so I put these last for obvious reasons...

Bowser Battle

Final Bowser Battle

This really just scratches the surface of the awesomeness that is the soundtrack, but the rest of the music isn't as "substantial" or is in MIDI format so I didn't think that would appeal to JWFans. What's most impressive is how Mahito Yokota treats his main theme throughout the score, popping up in varied forms in key places in true Williams style, such as in "Bowser's Galaxy Reactor," etc.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I bought the soundtrack as well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase, this music is fantastic and very listenable.

I'd still love to hear Zelda on this scale though. Obviously a lot more music would need to be recorded, written etc... But I still live in hope!

Yes, I bought the soundtrack as well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase, this music is fantastic and very listenable.

I'd still love to hear Zelda on this scale though. Obviously a lot more music would need to be recorded, written etc... But I still live in hope!

Well Super Mario Galaxy was built for the Wii and the Wii only. Twilight Princess was a GameCube game given a last-minute upgrade and for whatever reason didn't have the same budget for the music. It's a pretty good soundtrack, but you can tell Kondo was not inspired by it. It reminds me of Williams' War of the Worlds or Munich in a way: a good product but not particularly inspired, and perhaps a bit too depressing, although traditional Zelda music certainly isn't the most buoyant of video game soundtracks.

I'd be interested to hear what the thoughts are from the SMG-uninitiated.

It's a pretty good soundtrack, but you can tell Kondo was not inspired by it.

Can you? First, Koji Kondo did not write all too much music for the game (he did write more than people seem to credit him for, though). And the pieces he did write sounded like he was pretty inspired, to my ear. Have you ever listened to the

?

I "have" the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack platinum version and I love it. I can't get enough of "Wind Garden" (as it's called on the CD, it's the music for Gusty Garden Galaxy). I also really like the Comet Observatory, although I think that piece was written by Kondo, not Yokota. I remember I read in an interview that Kondo composed four cues for the game.

As for Twilight Princess, there's a lot of music in it, which makes it a bit hard to listen and of course it's in midi but there are some really awesome tracks like "Midna's Lament", "Hidden Village" (where the main Twilight Princess theme gets the Morricone treatment), the end credits, etc.

That would be awesome, and I do think in time it will happen. It's just too good of a proposition to pass up, having a fully orchestral Zelda score.

Super Mario Galaxy is a fantastic score to a fantastic game. I'd go as far as to call it the best Mario score to date.

I'd go as far as to call it the best Mario score to date.

I do not think you would have go all too far.

That would be awesome, and I do think in time it will happen. It's just too good of a proposition to pass up, having a fully orchestral Zelda score.

I have a feeling the next one will. If one looks at history, Mario has always been a "stepping stone", if you like, to the Legend of Zelda series in many regards.

As for Twilight Princess, there's a lot of music in it, which makes it a bit hard to listen and of course it's in midi but there are some really awesome tracks like "Midna's Lament", "Hidden Village" (where the main Twilight Princess theme gets the Morricone treatment), the end credits, etc.

Twilight Princess' six "discs" flow extremely well, I find it all very listenable and never overwhelming.

Wow, the one I heard was only four discs.... anyway what I meant to say when I said it was a bit hard is that you don't get the full experience that you get when you listen your normal 60-75 minute score CD. There's no way I could listen four discs in one sitting, so you only "get" part of the picture, but I don't think I'm making much sense. Anyway, like I said there's awesome stuff in TP.

I really liked a lot of the music in this game. For me, this was my first Mario game since Super Mario World, and it was a great way to get back into the franchise. Some of the music is just so majestic and flowed perfectly, I sometimes didn't want to leave the level. Of course, it also seemed liked the levels with the music I liked the least had the worst music.

This is pretty spiffy sounding. They should do music like this for the next Zelda game. Only dynamic. It's possible. Just record the orchestra in sections!

• 4 weeks later...

Ah the guy who composed Back to the Future?

I see..

:)

That's funny because I remember an argument with a girl in high school who was steadfastly convinced that Williams wrote the music for Star Trek. And that was years before Napster came along and made it true.

Ah the guy who composed Back to the Future?

I see..

That's funny because I remember an argument with a girl in high school who was steadfastly convinced that Williams wrote the music for Star Trek. And that was years before Napster came along and made it true.

And I still say: HE DID!!

Calm down. He's fifty. Can't you read the angst? His thumbs are too slow for the video game controller.

not yet, I have one more year to go.

• 8 months later...