Another "Greatest Ever" list

Quintus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll accept that this is about sequels if you accept that you can't spell.

Accept that the problem is not that he can't spell, it's vocabulary.

Apparently this is not the place to play grammar police.

Or that I was typing in such a part-time careless fashion that I didn't even notice my error, except until now.

Pedantic spelling police (like Bowie) on the net are pointless scurvy, in my humble one.

I mean who the fuck really cares?

If I had a dollar for every grammar faux pas I've made I could have retired 10 years ago.

I don't know what to really think about that list, there are quite a few films I would have removed and added.

IMHO a very good list. The most pleasant surprise is that Aliens also made it to number one; I think that film is often underrated and/or underappreciated.

And there's a pic from Superman III on the Superman II page. :)

I'll accept that this is about sequels if you accept that you can't spell.

Accept that the problem is not that he can't spell, it's vocabulary.

Apparently this is not the place to play grammar police.

No, the problem is simply that he can't spell "except" correctly, regardless of the reason for it. If you're going to hypocritically play language police while condemning those who do, at least be correct when you do so.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that Batman Returns and Evil Dead II made the list, and with high ranks at that.

I was surprised to see Batman Returns so high on the list. I actually think it's superior to the first Batman, not specifically as a Batman tale (the characters are just too different to their comic book counterparts) but just as a film on its own rights.

Superman II and OotP? Seriously?

It's great to see Return to Oz get some love. It's a very daring movie that did a lot of good things and was roundly ignored just becuase it wasn't a carbon copy of the original. Not to mention it's tone is much closer to the original books than The Wizard of Oz.

Prisoner of Azkaban should be on there instead of Order of the Phoenix. I don't know what they were thinking with that one.

If you overlook the fact that even though Return of the Jedi has those disgraceful fuzzbuckets called Ewoks, some inexplicably contrived plot elements, performances on autopilot, too many Muppets, and a few glaring issues...it's still a solid sequel and worthy of the franchise tag. It's no Empire, and it's no Star Wars, but it certainly belongs in the top 20 or wherever it placed on the list.

I'm relieved that The Dark Knight was not number 1. If this list had come out last year, it probably would have been put there.

Indeed. The list fully gives credit to The Empire Strikes Back for transcending Star Wars into 30+ years of fanaticism, yet they don't rank it as high. If Star Wars had stopped at a single movie, there would be no franchise and it would not be the pop culture juggernaut it is today.

And they also give reason to Aliens ranking higher than The Godfather, Part II simply because of Coppola's decision to not include acid-veined xenomorphs in his gangster epic. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason.

But the list probably isn't meant to be a best movie list, i.e. they're not comparing Aliens to T2 to The Empire Strikes Back. Rather they're comparing each sequel to its original, and looking for the individual strengths of the comparisons, and grading those. That's a lot tougher, so I'm just happy there's a list of the 50 best sequels, which includes a lot of movies that often get overlooked (like First Contact, Jurassic Park 2, Back to the Future III, Return of the Jedi, etc.) and not as worried about the rankings within that list.

I would have put Star Treks IV and VI over First Contact. I've always found FC to be a bit overrated.

I agree. I'd put GENERATIONS and NEMESIS before FC.

I would have found a way to put Star Trek IV and maybe VI also on the list, along with FC. Generations and Nemesis, not so much. I think what they were going for -- and they even hint at it by questioning the "original" movie -- was to split the Star Trek franchises into two: original cast and TNG. FC might be overrated, but I still think it's the most successful and popular of the TNG Trek movies, and deserves to be on a sequel list.

I think Airplane II was on the list only to give praise to Shatner's fantastic introduction. You think he's on a viewscreen, he says "We don't have a bridge?" and then he pushes the bottom of the split door open and walks into the set. Hilarious moment of "gotcha" for the audience.

Oh, and I liked this line, which I usually spend all of Airplane! waiting for, and end up disappointed it's in the sequel.

I want to know absolutely everything that's happened up till now.

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

The list has two Treks, two Bournes, 2/3 of the BTTF franchise, two Harry Potters...but no Bonds. No Rockys. No Ghostbusters II. W.T.Eff.

The inclusion of Airplane II surprised me as well.

I would have had The Empire Strikes Back and Godfather part II in the top two spots. How did T2 and Aliens rate higher than Empire? Despite his assurances, Cameron is not king of the world.

Hmmm, no James Bond movies on the list... I would have thought that For Your Eyes Only would have gotten some dap for saving the series following the debacle that was Moonraker.

Yeah, no Bond films was a suprise. Goldfinger and OHMSS should have been on there.

I agree Shatner is fantastic in Airplane II but the rest is just kinda....meh.

I would have put Star Treks IV and VI over First Contact. I've always found FC to be a bit overrated.

I agree. I'd put GENERATIONS and NEMESIS before FC.

I would have found a way to put Star Trek IV and maybe VI also on the list, along with FC. Generations and Nemesis, not so much. I think what they were going for -- and they even hint at it by questioning the "original" movie -- was to split the Star Trek franchises into two: original cast and TNG. FC might be overrated, but I still think it's the most successful and popular of the TNG Trek movies, and deserves to be on a sequel list.

I think Airplane II was on the list only to give praise to Shatner's fantastic introduction. You think he's on a viewscreen, he says "We don't have a bridge?" and then he pushes the bottom of the split door open and walks into the set. Hilarious moment of "gotcha" for the audience.

Oh, and I liked this line, which I usually spend all of Airplane! waiting for, and end up disappointed it's in the sequel.

I want to know absolutely everything that's happened up till now.

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

The list has two Treks, two Bournes, 2/3 of the BTTF franchise, two Harry Potters...but no Bonds. No Rockys. No Ghostbusters II. W.T.Eff.

Ghostbusters II is terrible, though. I much prefer Airplane II.

I think it depends why things are on the list. Was FC successful and popular? Sure. But I don't think it's as good a film as those that I mentioned, hence why I wouldn't put it on there. I wouldn't put Generations and Nemesis on any way, but I'd rather them than FC, but that's going purely by quality.

When I quit my job and go work for Empire, I'll be sure to add those all to the list of "Next 50 Greatest Sequels."

I'd say go work for Total Film or Sight and Sound instead, but as far as I can tell, you're have a decent grasp of the English language and you're not a wanker.

I'd say go work for Total Film or Sight and Sound instead, but as far as I can tell, you're have a decent grasp of the English language and you're not a wanker.

Ooo behave yourself you old charmer!

And they also give reason to Aliens ranking higher than The Godfather, Part II simply because of Coppola's decision to not include acid-veined xenomorphs in his gangster epic. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason.

It probably isn't, but it made me roar with laughter when I read that particular sentence, LOL :P:D

The LotR films weren't included because they form a single story. If you'd actually read the article you'd know that. :lol:

Oops. Didn't catch that there at the beginning.

Cheap way of narrowing down the field...

I think they are technically sequels, since they are technically three different movies. The Bourne trilogy has the same type of story arc as LOTR, it continues through each film. Same for the El Mariachi trilogy. And I just realized, was there no Leone on that list? The Good, The Bad And The Ugly anyone???

It's not cheap at all. The LOTR films are not sequels in the true sense, and therefore don't qualify.

I suppose.

Empire Strikes Back belongs at the top.

I can understand why they excluded Lord of the Rings: the films were scripted and filmed at the same time and were based on material that the author considered one book, not three.

But they included The Four Musketeers, which in their blurb wasn't planned until the editing process convinced the producers that they had enough for two movies. A little consistency, please. (Okay, so they were based on two books-- wiggle room, but still...)

And, yes, I know that the bulk of Superman II was filmed alongside Superman, but production did shut down and was not resumed until after Superman was released.