Erich Kunzel has passed away.

Ollie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Man, I loved his film albums. He loved it bombastic, sweeping and cool, just like I do.

He had a good ear for detail - he fleshed out the little nuances of orchestration in a given piece and turned a split-second moment of instrumental sound into a veritable cue highlight.

RIP

Sad news indeed :D His recordings helped to cement my interest in film music. Rest in peace maestro Kunzel.

Sad news indeed sad.gif His recordings helped to cement my interest in film music. Rest in peace maestro Kunzel.

My sentiments exactly....I still have that old, battered "Star Tracks" tape somewhere - but will give the CD a listen tonight as a tribute....

A sad loss.

I emitted an audible groan when I read the news on the Main Page. I admit that I do not have any albums of his, but he seemed to have been a very influential person in the lives of many. At least he does not have to suffer anymore. Rest in Peace.

Terrible, terrible news, what an incredible shame. He is responsible for getting me into a lot of scores (especially with the "Great Fantasy and Adventure Album"). A great loss.

Listening to Star Tracks now. I'd forgotten how it sounds like the second Bb in the melody of the Star Wars main title is an octave too low. EDIT: But Kunzel redeemed himself a thousand times over by allowing the horns to be much more prominent than the woodwinds in the short statement of "Can You Read My Mind?" Even Williams himself allowed the woodwinds to take over in an ugly sort of way that I've never liked.

What sad news. I have a fair amount of his recordings, and was always impressed by how great his re-recordings and arrangements were. Rest in peace.

:lol: The Prince of Egypt - "When You Believe," Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops

RIP. :lol: He wasn't responsible for getting me into film music, but Star Tracks and Star Tracks 2 were my very first film music albums I ever owned and I wore the tapes out.

pancreatic and liver cancer.....damn....just like my mom's current condition. its the worst kinds you can get ;)

That's really too bad. I'll be always grateful to him for this:

Masters_cd80682.jpg

It's an absolutely wonderful collection of music from seafaring movies that I can heartily recommend to everyone.

That's bad news. I've just given a listen to his "Great Fantasy Adventure Album" and I loved the orchestral versions of the Terminator and Total Recall themes he did.

• 4 months later...

(Sorry to bump an old thread)

Also wanted to say RIP Kunzel. "The Great Fantasy Adventure Album" is one of my first film score purchases ever, and I LOOOOOVE Kunzel's renditions of Sing Sing Sing and Williams' Olympic Fanfare (which i have on a CD called "The Very Best Of Erich Kunzel", but I'm sure were on other albums first).

He also did a concert arrangement of Marion's Theme for a CD called "Movie Love Themes". Does anybody have that? Its different than Williams' 2008 arrangement.

I was in Half Price Books two weekends ago and was going to buy Kunzel's album where he recorded music from Spielberg and Williams collaborations. The disc wasn't in the case, so I figured they had it behind the counter. The salesman rings it up and says, "there's no sticker in here, so I think somebody stole the disc." I reassured him that it had not been me, but it was still a big "aww crap" moment.

The last two HPB's I've been at have been mixed. Some titles have the CD's in the cases, other titles have stickers with the discs behind the counter.

I just bought about 15 albums last weekend, and only three had discs behind the counter. That gave me the opportunity to inspect the discs for damage.