Does The Maestro Demo his scores

alainmayrand

I know Goldsmith was an early adopter of synths for mocking up cues, but as far as I know, JW doesn't use them to mock up, but I was often wondering about that.

Does he still present the music to directors only on the piano?

Alain

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a pretty good pianist, so I doubt his demo's are always "simple" as such. He probably riffs off some pretty dazzling stuff, at least for the ones who would appreciate it and have some instrumental imagination, like Spielberg, and maybe Oliver Stone.

But yes, he only uses the piano to demo his cues. There really isn't any other way, since his music is intimately tied to the orchestration.

But as you know, these days directors expect full-blow orchestral mock-ups of the cues. But with John Williams, his orchestrations fit the orchestra so well that a mock-up could never do it justice.

I am sure that people trust him in a way that they don't trust other composers. A new composer would never get away with demonstrating on the piano these days, sadly...

But as you know, these days directors expect full-blow orchestral mock-ups of the cues. But with John Williams, his orchestrations fit the orchestra so well that a mock-up could never do it justice.

I am sure that people trust him in a way that they don't trust other composers. A new composer would never get away with demonstrating on the piano these days, sadly...

But nobody knows for sure if he doesn't have to mock-up certain big cues...the prequels come to mind. It certainly would be a wise move considering Lucas' slaphappy way of handling the score.

I think it has been stated by the Maestro himself that he is so antediluvian in his approach that he still uses only pencil and paper in writing music and also presents his musical ideas to the directors on piano. He stated in some interviews almost apologetically that for him to try to learn to use these computer programmes and synths would be almost too late as he would have to put a lot of time and energy in learning these new technological marvels this late in his career instead of just writing the music as he had always done.

And if there is any film composer working today who has such a reputation that directors and producers are willing to make that leap of faith with the musical results even without extensive mock ups and knowledge of details of the music beforehand, it is John Williams.

Yes , that he does Piano MOckups might be true, because in one photo of his office, you could clearly see a stereo-microphone placed right next to his Bösendorfer-piano. (I was delighted that on the Bösendorfer homepage he is officially listed as an artist that plays on a Bösendorfer :D )

but who knows, if some director wants a sampled orchestra demo, Williams doesn't do it by himself, some people programm it for him.

... but who knows, if some director wants a sampled orchestra demo (from Williams) ...

I don't see that happening.

In fact, I will let you in on a little secret, most people turn into yes men when they are in the presence of Williams, especially people with little notion of music.

Alex

... but who knows, if some director wants a sampled orchestra demo (from Williams) ...

I don't see that happening.

In fact, I will let you in on a little secret, most people turn into yes men when they are in the presence of Williams, especially people with little notion of music.

Alex

Oh and I thought that the cheap CD set "The INdy Jones Story" was just a compilation of his synthdemos.. :D

I really don't think that anybody wants samples from williams, all I wnated to say was that: IF anybody would want a demo williams wouldn't program it by himself for sure.

...hm a secret?... wow yu must be an insider. I am an insider too and I tell you a secret: most people turn into yesmen when they are in the presence of George Lucas, atleast Rick McCallum

...hm a secret?... wow yu must be an insider. I am an insider too and I tell you a secret: most people turn into yesmen when they are in the presence of George Lucas, atleast Rick McCallum

From one insider to another, trust me, Lucas is not the instigator of Williams' Prequel sound.

Alex

For sure JW doesn't demo his own stuff. It was the USC seminar where he said that computers for music are beyond him. I think, personally, he was being humble, since he uses synths in most scores, including lots of sampled instruments as well. These days samplers = computers.

I seem to recall that Elmer Bernstein had someone sequence his mock-ups for him, based on his sketches.

For sure directors become "yes men" when faced with John Williams! :D

As far as I know, he still just does simple piano demos, though I'm no expert.

You're right. There is an hilarious piece on the "E.T." extras d.v.d., of J.W. playing what became "Over The Moon", and Spielberg trying-and failing-to sing along! Definitely one for Youtube. Or not...

You're right. There is an hilarious piece on the "E.T." extras d.v.d., of J.W. playing what became "Over The Moon", and Spielberg trying-and failing-to sing along! Definitely one for Youtube. Or not...

"Deeohhraadee Deeohhrhhadhaa Daahdahdahhh BAM BAM!!" .... lol my favourite part! :D

also Williams mentioning that he is glad to have his clothes on.. "We all are.. we all are" :P

Yes , that he does Piano MOckups might be true, because in one photo of his office, you could clearly see a stereo-microphone placed right next to his Bösendorfer-piano.

That's wired directly to the orchestrator's office, where an army of uncredited orchestrators sit and arrange Williams' primitive piano improvisations.

"Deeohhraadee Deeohhrhhadhaa Daahdahdahhh BAM BAM!!" .... lol my favourite part! :D

also Williams mentioning that he is glad to have his clothes on.. "We all are.. we all are" :)

Haha, those are indeed great moments, gotta watch that again sometime soon :nod::D

Yes , that he does Piano MOckups might be true, because in one photo of his office, you could clearly see a stereo-microphone placed right next to his Bösendorfer-piano.

That's wired directly to the orchestrator's office, where an army of uncredited orchestrators sit and arrange Williams' primitive piano improvisations.

:nod: hey give him a break, he is not Jim Steinman! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpCqBgVrTg

Hehe, this is really funny, it's been ages since I watched it on the DVD ;) Too bad we don't have a video of Spielberg playing the clarinet in one of the 1941 recording sessions ... ;)

And isn't it funny that JW says: "If the fiddles soar enough?" Why "the fiddles", why not "the violins"? :unsure:;)

Then there are cases like Hedwig's Theme and Double Trouble, which are written early enough in the process for demo recordings to be created for use in the trailers. Different, but still a good way to test the piece and see if it really works.