The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

CELEBRATE "ALIEN DAY" WITH US!

Get John Frizzell's amazing ALIEN RESURRECTION (2-CD SET) at the great price of only $10 each! This sale will last only 48 hours, (ends 10pm PST on 4/28) so get yours now!

Only 200 units remain. Once it's gone -- IT'S GONE! It won't be resurrected! ‪#‎alienday‬

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/AlienResurrection.html

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10154247507478755

Henry Jackman < Greg Edmonson 

Great month of titles, though!

Two discs of Shawshank goodness!

Wow 2 disc release of the Shawskank Redemption! Can't wait to see what will that contain.

I'm guessing the complete score + alternates + album versions.  The usual fair.

25 minutes ago, Omen II said:

One CD with the complete score and a small hammer where the second CD should be.

?

Don't forget a miniature poster of Rita Hayworth. ;)

Cannot wait to finally own 10 Cloverfield Lane on CD. So far it has been my most-played new score of the year. Hope I get to snag a signed copy in time!

The only copies LLL are selling are signed, so if your order goes through, you'll get one

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

Cannot wait to finally own 10 Cloverfield Lane on CD. So far it has been my most-played new score of the year. Hope I get to snag a signed copy in time!

It's definitely my favorite of the year, thus far. Will be picking it up along with Uncharted 4 and Shawshank.

I'm quite looking forward to 10 Cloverfield Lane. I loved it in the film and have been waiting for the CD to hear it again.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Don't forget a miniature poster of Rita Hayworth. ;)

That would be hilarious is they forwent liner notes this time and just did a foldout poster.

Nothing for me this month.  I plan on eventually getting 10 Cloverfield Lane, but I don't care at all about autographed booklets so I'll just put it on my Amazon wishlist for the holidays.  I have like three big mailer envelopes stuffed full of autographs from LLL.crammed between my Elfman box and a globe on my CD shelf.

We've been so well covered by the specialty labels in the last ~10 years or so that I think at this point the only historical releases and expansions I'm interested in are Williams and Elfman.  I can't think of any "holy grail" type movies that could get me excited about their scores.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

We've been so well covered by the specialty labels in the last ~10 years or so that I think at this point the only historical releases and expansions I'm interested in are Williams and Elfman.  I can't think of any "holy grail" type movies that could get me excited about their scores.

I can think of 10 non-Williams non-Elfman expansions I want without even trying too hard

The Rocketeer

Willow

Titanic

Air Force One
Starship Troopers

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Waterworld

Apollo 13

Spider-man 3

Batman & Robin

I have all of those OSTs, and am happy with what I have really.  Willow and Robin Hood are the only potential purchases for me on that list

I would likely pick up both Spider-man 3 and Batman and Robin if they ever came out on CD, especially if B&R comes with Goldenthal's preferred OST arrangement, but I'm not jonesing.

I've always found it worthwhile to have original AND expanded and pick which one I want to listen to based on my mood at the time

Isn't Willow prime score-expansion material?  It's a popular score by a popular composer, it's surprising to me that it hasn't been done.  Actually, is it just my perception, or has Horner been largely ignored until the last few years?  Bobby Fischer, Pagemaster, A Far Off Place, and Braveheart just came out in the last year or so, Cocoon within the last 3, etc.

Oh yea, Willow is a huge one - though the OST is lengthy, there's another ~30 minutes of great material waiting to be released.  Hopefully with Lucasfilm being bought by Disney, Intrada can make something happen

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, Intrada is a huge one - though the OST is lengthy, there's another ~30 minutes of great material waiting to be released.  Hopefully with Lucasfilm being bought by Disney, Intrada can make something happen

I assume you mean Willow?

I think they are the most likely considering their relationship with Disney.  Would any other label even have a chance?

19 hours ago, Kendal_Ozzel said:

That would be hilarious is they forwent liner notes this time and just did a foldout poster.

With a tunnel behind that poster that leads to a note disclosing the location of the actual liner notes.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

With a tunnel behind that poster that leads to a note disclosing the location of the actual liner notes.

And then you'd have to crawl through the nearest sewer to get to them. The Liner Notes Redemption.

Btw it is funny how the Finnish translation of the novella/movie title gives away this little poster plot point quite clearly as it translates into Rita Hayworth, Key to the Escape. Although in all fairness the novella is titled Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. :P 

It's an odd title - I'm not sure what it really means. Is Rita Hayworth part of yet another subplot? I've seen the film many times, and I only remember the scene where they show that film.

Over the years multiple different posters hid his escape tunnel, one of which was a Rita Haywarth poster (the first one I believe)

I know the film well, and the significance of the poster.

I just wondered whether there was any deeper meaning, other than her poster hiding the tunnel. Guess not.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Over the years multiple different posters hid his escape tunnel, one of which was a Rita Haywarth poster (the first one I believe)

River-shh.jpg

My copy of 10 Cloverfield Lane arrived today...

UNSIGNED.

I e-mailed them.

UPDATE:

They are sending me a signed booklet now. Phew. Was lucky they still had one.

• 2 weeks later...

So LLL is starting to sell what seems like Intrada and old FSM titles digitally. Hmmm. Not bad.

Not exactly.

Basically all these studios that own these scores only license to the specialty labels the rights to make a new physical CD that they can sell.  The studios retain the rights to sell the scores digitally themselves.  WB and Sony and some other have tried to sell some scores digitally on their own, but Paramount looked for a partner and chose LLL.

So, the specialty label that originally released these (there are FSM, Intrada, and LLL titles in that poster) is irrelevant; Paramount had the digital rights all along.

MV talks about this a bit here if you want to read his comments:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115196&forumID=1&archive=0

Right, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification Jay!

13246366_10154304364943755_2970804949550

GREAT NEWS!

The Shawshank Redemption is in early!

It goes on sale NEXT Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 12 pm pst (instead of May 31st as previously reported)

LLLCD 1394

Retail Price: $29.98
Limited Edition of 3500 units

DISC 1

1. Main Title* / Courtroom* 5:12
2. Shawshank Prison (Stoic Theme) 1:54
3. Prison Entrance* 0:57
4. New Fish 1:53
5. Bogs’ Shower* 1:24
6. Rock Hammer 2:01
7. First Rape* 1:10
8. Sisters 1:20
9. May** [Extended Version] 0:59
10. Suds On The Roof 1:38
11.Carves Names* 1:03
12. An Inch Of His Life* [Film Version] 2:57
13. Horse Apple** [Extended Version] 2:12
14. Bible* 0:55
15. Letters* / Taxes* 1:58
16. Brooks Was Here** [Extended Version] 5:02
17. Hope* / Gift Exchange* 2:38
18. Lovely Raquel 1:58
19. Elmo Blatch 1:14
20. Kid Passed* / Wild Injuns* 2:07
21. Zihuatanejo 4:49
22. Longest Night* 1:58
23. And That Right Soon 1:16
24. Escape 1:40
25. Shawshank Redemption* [Film Version] 4:31
26. His Judgement Cometh 2:04
27. Pacific/Graveyard* 2:09
28. Compass And Guns* [Film Version] 5:37
29. So Was Red 2:45
30. End Title 4:11

TOTAL DISC 1 TIME: 71:46

DISC 2

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

1. Shawshank Prison (Stoic Theme)* [Alternate] 1:58
2. An Inch Of His Life [Album Version] 2:50
3. Hope* [Alternate] 0:55
4. Lovely Raquel* [Alternate] 1:58
5. Kid Passed* [Alternate] 1:00
6. And That Right Soon* [Alternate] 1:16
7. Shawshank Redemption [Album Version] 4:31
8. His Judgement Cometh* [Alternate] 2:02
9. Pacific/Graveyard* [Alternate] 2:11
10. Compass And Guns** [Extended Version] 5:35
11. So Was Red* [Alternate] 2:47
12. End Title* [Alternate Take] 4:18

SOURCE MUSIC

13. “If I Didn’t Care” – The Ink Spots 3:05
14. The Marriage of Figaro: “Duettino – Sull’aria” – Deutsche Oper Berlin/Karl Böhm 3:38
15. “Lovesick Blues” – Hank Williams 2:48

TOTAL DISC 2 TIME: 40:58

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 112:44

* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/a.181243738754.155532.56031953754/10154304364943755/

Wow, loads of alternates. Also surprising that they've licensed the songs. Hopefully this set will make the OST obsolete, although I will probably keep the OST's cover, which I think is way better than the one they've gone with here.

I think they've omitted the asterix from track 24 ('Escape'). That should be the brief cue just before the big escape sequence.

On 5/21/2016 at 10:45 AM, Richard Penna said:

I think they've omitted the asterix from track 24 ('Escape'). That should be the brief cue just before the big escape sequence.

Yes.  That track should have an asterisk indicating it is previously unreleased, you are correct.

Friends. 

"Asterix is a cartoon character, a Gaul resisting the Romans, in a series of French books. An asterisk is one of these * – a little star which is usually used to indicate that there is some text in a footnote at the bottom of the page.May 21, 2012

Here is an interesting usage note onasterisk from the New Oxford American Dictionary (2nd Edition on my computer):

Avoid pronouncing this word |ˈastəˌriks| or |ˈastəˌrik|, as many regard such pronunciations as uneducated.

and a related one from the Oxford Dictionaries Online:

Even though asterisk does not look like a tricky word to pronounce, it can be problematic. In both its singular and plural forms , it is often mispronounced as if it ends with -rix. Pronounced correctly, it ends with a -risk sound when singular and -risks when plural

You sure know your English Woji-o.

And I think I am going to buy this set. Not too many expanded Newman scores around and this is among his best.