The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

11 minutes ago, petaQ said:

And maybe Sorceror's Stone year after that! 

I don't know what that is. 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Titanic for the 20th anniversary of the film would be amazing

Who knows if Warner Brothers will ever play ball with HP.

20th Anniversary plus Horner's death makes me think it might be likely but I'm not holding out too much hope. 

MV just posted that they hope to release Jurassic Park 3 in the future!

1. Glad you guys are happy with this release. This was a dream come true project, certainly one I never thought possible when we started LLL back in 2002. We've come a long way.

2. We hope to release JP 3 at a later date, but thought it was not necessary to include it on this package since, after all, it's called The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection. ;)

3. The price is perfectly acceptable considering its 4 cds. If we released this as 2 cd sets it would have been $29.98. Plus, you know how BLEEPIN expensive it was to produce this?!!!! The break even point on this release makes me laugh AND cry. Luckily we love what we do and would rather spend our money on releases like this than drive fancy cars.

See ya guys on Tuesday!

MV

On 11/25/2016 at 2:09 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Holy fucking shit balls

THE JOHN WILLIAMS JURASSIC PARK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION 
(4-CD SET) 

ROTFLMAO

Great reaction Bilbo. :P

5 minutes ago, Will said:

ROTFLMAO

Great reaction Bilbo. :P

It was great news that finally woke me up that morning. 

I just about managed to not shout that out on the rain. 

I consider myself a pretty big fan of both of the Spielberg Jurassic movies, and I have still to this day never seen JP3 or heard a note of the score.  And I've gotta say, after Jurassic World, a movie I'd consider one of the worst major Hollywood films of this century, I'm not running to see it.

It's at least better than JW, right?

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's at least better than JW, right?

The film or the score?

Neither film is really all that great.  JP3 has some good ideas in it, but also a lot of "treading worn ground" to it.  Also, they hacked a bunch of the movie out at the last minute, making the ending feel super rushed - the final film only runs 92 minutes!  I wish they'd like Joe Johnson release a Director's Cut.

As for the scores, Davis makes much better use of Williams themes than Giacchino does, hands down.  Does some pretty nifty things with them, actually.  But the completely original parts of the score don't do much for me, contrasted to Giacchino's Raptor and Hoskins themes, which are great.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The film or the score?

Neither film is really all that great.  JP3 has some good ideas in it, but also a lot of "treading worn ground" to it.  Also, they hacked a bunch of the movie out at the last minute, making the ending feel super rushed - the final film only runs 92 minutes!  I wish they'd like Joe Johnson release a Director's Cut.

As for the scores, Davis makes much better use of Williams themes than Giacchino does, hands down.  Does some pretty nifty things with them, actually.  But the completely original parts of the score don't do much for me, contrasted to Giacchino's Raptor and Hoskins themes, which are great.

What track's a good sample of his inventive use of a Williams theme?

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh man, its been a long time since I've listened to that score, and don't remember what music is under what album track names, or if the music I'm thinking of was on the album or on the Oscar promo only.  I see the album's on Spotify, so I'll give it a listen and get back to you!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2nhcXRpFSrpreNtfvHzOHw

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He used the Dies Irae-like suspense material from the first score here (from 0:57 onwards):

Karol

OK i just finished listening to the OST.  I thought there was a track where Davis takes the little march from the end of Journey To The Island and turns it into a theme for the Navy ships that come to the rescue, but either I zoned out and missed it or its only on the promo.

There was some nice reworkings of Williams stuff in Dinosaur Fly-By, The Raptor Room, Clash of Extinction, etc.  Fun little score!

Just a head's up:

Glad you guys are jazzed about our batch this year. Personally, it's my favorite batch we have released since we have been doing this. Having the JW JP Collection come out on the LLL label is truly an honor and we hope that we can continue to work with the Williams and Spielberg camp for years to come (6 film scores and counting)!

4 OF THE 5 releases are in stock and will be ready to ship starting Tuesday with only the French Connection Collection coming in a little later on in the week. Originally, we were supposed to have Wonder Woman as our 5th and final title, but a last minute delay from high up the food chain delayed the release until Spring 2017. Luckily, we had FC scheduled for January 2017 and managed to get that fast tracked and out relatively on time for our Black Friday releases. 

See y'all back here on Tuesday, Nov 29 at 12 pm pst for what, we expect to be, one of our best "Black Friday" release days in recent memory!

MV

So, if you include French Connection in your order, the entire won't ship until that one comes in.

There is for certain a militaristic version of the Island Theme in Jurassic Park III.

Not sure if it's only on the promo, but it definitely exists and I quite like it too.

Should be in "The Hat Returns and End Credits" I think?

Also good is the use of the same theme in Cooper's Last Stand, which is a very cool track through and through.

A short section of Journey to the Island was expanded as the theme for the mercenaries.

Good thing too as that was a wonderful section of music and it's a shame it went underused in the original film.

I'm not quite sold on the entirety of the JP3 music, but there is without a doubt some good stuff on there.

Yea.  It's not as essential of a release as the first 2 scores, but it's a nice enough score deserving of an expansion, especially since his Matrix scores have already been expanded now.

I wouldn't say it's an 'essential' expansion by any means, but there's enough good stuff left off the OST that I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Apart from the nicely integrated JW themes, there's some rather nice old-fashioned scoring, i.e. Pteranodon Habitat, and the action music is absolutely top notch. In fact the entire 9 minute cage sequence is an astounding piece of music IMO.

I wish Varese didn't have perpetuity rights to his Matrix score so LLL could do a proper 2CD set for that to go along with their sets for the sequel scores.  Oh well.

Especially when you look at how well Troopers and Volcano were done (the latter taking great care to present almost the entire score), it's such a shame they didn't put the same care into Matrix. I didn't buy it, and it was due to all the omissions.

OK i just finished listening to the OST.  I thought there was a track where Davis takes the little march from the end of Journey To The Island and turns it into a theme for the Navy ships that come to the rescue, but either I zoned out and missed it or its only on the promo.

There was some nice reworkings of Williams stuff in Dinosaur Fly-By, The Raptor Room, Clash of Extinction, etc.  Fun little score!

It's bit more tongue-in-cheek and over the top than any of the Williams scores. But, as you say, really fun. And probably a nightmare to play for musicians.

Karol

You sort of don't get a chance to bond with any of it because the pacing of the film is so fast and the score follows suit. It almost sounds like Davis desperately tried to inject some wonder into it (by that I mean Williams) but they asked him to speed it up and move on. "OK have that theme but do it in 20 seconds". At least that is the impression I get sometimes when listening to it.

Karol

42 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You sort of don't get a chance to bond with any of it because the pacing of the film is so fast and the score follows suit. It almost sounds like Davis desperately tried to inject some wonder into it (by that I mean Williams) but they asked him to speed it up and move on. "OK have that theme but do it in 20 seconds". At least that is the impression I get sometimes when listening to it.

The score feels like an exercise in freneticism and I find it to be quite an exhausting listen as a result; maybe I'd enjoy it more after four double espressos and some coke (beverage, not Bolivian marching powder).

18 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

The score feels like an exercise in freneticism and I find it to be quite an exhausting listen as a result; maybe I'd enjoy it more after four double espressos and some coke (beverage, not Bolivian marching powder).

It is indeed quite an aural assault, often relentlessly frenetic and aggressive, which of course reflects the breathless pace of the movie.

WHile i like it a lot, i think Davis failed to implement more 'TLW' music into the score, after all were are in Sorna island. The JP themes are out of place...but i liked it so much after williams ditched them from TLW...it was a return to the old sound :P

I still think someone should have done a recording of the JP theme with TLW theme orchestration. or vice versa.

“BEVERLY HILLS COP” NEW RELEASE SPECIAL!! 
Buy BOTH BEVERLY HILLS COP & BEVERLY HILLS COP II together and SAVE $5! When you purchase BEVERLY HILLS COP you will be asked at checkout if you wish to take advantage of this offer and SAVE $5 off of BEVERLY HILLS COP II! Special offer starts 12noon (PST) on 11/29 and is good thru 1/2/17. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

JOHN WILLIAMS “HOME ALONE” SPECIAL! 
Get HOME ALONE: 25th ANNIV. EDITION (2-CD SET) and HOME ALONE 2 (2-CD SET) at a sales price of $20 EACH. Special offer starts 12noon on 11/29 and is good thru 1/2/17. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

HOLIDAY SALE! 
Save on these great Yuletide soundtrack titles – ONLY $10 EACH: MIRACLE ON 34th ST (2-CD SET), SCROOGED and KRAMPUS. Special offer starts 12noon (PST) on 11/29 and is good thru 1/2/17. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

SHIPPING NOTICE: 
Our shipping dept. will be closed from 12/20 thru 1/1. Any online orders placed during this time will begin shipping out when we re-open on 1/2.

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/dm6pu--b15lm-ag4f6q9

I highly recommend the Broughton MIRACLE ON 34th ST set for anyone who loves beautiful, Christmasy scores.  At $10 it's a steal  (it also comes with the soundtrack for the original 40s movie, which I have actually still not listened to).

9 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

I rarely play it, but every once in a while I dig out a few tracks and find there's some great stuff in it. I don't know how much good more of it would do, but I'd certainly pick up an expansion just in case.

Man, having a baby in daycare is killing me.  Only own 1 from this year (Mystery of the Batwoman), and there are a full 13 on my to-get list.  Including 10 dang DC comics releases.    Most urgent priorities: Jurassic, BTAS vol 4

From the other labels, a lot less.  Thankfully.  Dick Tracy, the Varese Horror Box, and Scream 2.   I've thrown them all on my family wishlist, and I'm not really asking for anything else this year, so I'll probably get a good handful.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Let me guess: Arrow, The Flash, DC'S League Of Tomorrow, Wonder Woman, Jonny Quest and Blindspot?

I'm famous for my passion and love for TV soundtracks!!

29 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Seems like a generally small year for them, eh? In terms of quantity, of course. I feel like they usually have a couple more rows on those posters. 

I bought 8. 

I ended up purchasing only 3 of LLL releases this year. Too many TV shows I have no interest in man! Too many TV shows!

On 11/29/2016 at 8:43 AM, Disco Stu said:

I highly recommend the Broughton MIRACLE ON 34th ST set for anyone who loves beautiful, Christmasy scores.  At $10 it's a steal  (it also comes with the soundtrack for the original 40s movie, which I have actually still not listened to).

I absolutely adore the main title (which is all I've heard outside of the film) -- in fact, judging by what Broughton I've heard I think one day he could become one of my very favorite composers -- but there's no way I'm buying this. I still have a bunch of Williams releases to get, including both Home Alones (I may get the first soon with the JP set). 

Just don't go anywhere near that new Xmas Broughton release on Intrada, All I Want for Christmas. It's Broughton at his most irritatingly cheesy.

I was introduced to Broughton through his Homeward Bound scores which I love to this day. Sadly the Intrada release for the first film (which is superior to the 2nd score) is out of print now but I think the sequel OST is still available over there.