The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm interested in that, and in the film, which I know nothing about.

The film is available on all digital streaming/VOD platforms now and I think BD too. It's good! Entertaining and silly, with seriously good performances by Sam Elliot and Larry Miller. The score fits the film like a glove, which also uses a bunch of classic rock songs to great effect. 

Not in the same league as that masterpiece of course, but very good with a strong memorable theme.

I'd say it's Kraemer's second-best score.  I like it more than Jack Reacher and Comrade Detective.

Update:

ADVENTURES OF BATMAN AND ROBIN - still in the works
DIARY OF ANNE FRANK - still in the works
THE SWARM - still in the works

MV

Letting our guard down so the surprise titles we actually want will make a bigger impact?

On 4/1/2019 at 2:43 AM, crocodile said:

Acoording to comments on the FSM board, the Wondercon panel revealed we're getting the expanded Elfman's this year (Darkman, Mission: Impossible) as well as the 25th anniversary edition of Stargate. They don't seem to know whether there will be more Bond ("it's pretty sporadic with EON").

Anything else, I wonder?

Karol

25th Anniversary of Stargate?  YES!  I know MV had mentioned once it had been shelved because Roland Emmerich was going to reboot the film but that got put on hold...don't know if it was put on hold indefinitely or not.  Glad to know it's still coming out.  Hopefully it'll be fully 100% complete. :)

Two Elfman expansions, stargate, two (speculated) JW releases from Sony before they slammed the door shut.. LLL’s 2019 slate is shaping up nicely, at least for me!

I don't think anything has been indicated at all about the composer involved in the couple Sony titles LLL has (or couple Intrada has) in the pipeline. No particular reason it should be Williams, though it's possible.

And Jay, you forgot one title LLL also announced at WonderCon: a Quinn Martin Collection (Volume 1).

I wrote on the FSM board:

Ooooh! What's gonna be on THIS, I wonder? I'm guessing it's a box set, probably 4 discs.

Quinn has some pretty interesting credits as producer...
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0552918/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The earliest remembered today is of course The Untouchables. Other famous shows he produced include The Fugitive, 12 O'Clock High, The Invaders, The FBI, Cannon, The Streets of San Francisco, and Barnaby Jones.

BARNABY JONES!!!

Could this include the first official release of Jerry Goldsmith's delightful pilot score for that series? Unless it's being saved for a specific Barnaby Jones release (which wouldn't be a bad idea), I'm bettin' it's on here, because Goldsmith would be a major selling point. Lots of other good composers worked for the above series, so I'm looking forward to discovering the full contents. I also wonder if making a wide ranging "Quinn Martin Collection" means that LLL will also be sneaking in quality obscurities here and there. Stuff that otherwise would be left off and lost, but can be included on this as sort of a themed TV Omnibus like FSM's delightful collection of rarities.

And Jeff Bond later replied in that thread:

I have a strong suspicion Barnaby Jones may be involved in that Quinn Martin set.

Just for all the myriad whiners, the announced albums are all ones that have been approved and are mostly imminent. I know for a fact that there are a number of huge things in the pipeline that can't be mentioned yet. Not 007 scores (I don't know what the status of those is) but some very familiar, high profile projects.

Barnaby Jones is probably my favorite Goldsmith TV theme. I am over the moon to be getting his complete pilot score officially released...

Yavar

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Yup I hope it's a 2CD complete score.  The expanded version from Varese was disappointing

I agree about the Varèse version being disappointing.

There are parts of the score I like. But I never managed to get through the original album in one go. But it had been quite a few years now so it might be time for re-evaluation.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

There are parts of the score I like. But I never managed to get through the original album in one go. But it had been quite a few years now so it might be time for re-evaluation.

Karol

I also find the OST too long. The action writing in the latter half is quite generic - I'm guessing he didn't have much time. It would be interesting to have the composer condense the material into a 10-15 minute suite.

There are so many short tracks in Stargate that it's hard to make it work as an album. As it exists, it's more like a collection of ideas, really good ideas, neatly stacked one after the other. Almost like a Thomas Newman CD.

His Narnia score is arranged the same way on album, but that score isn't quite as good.

Well, kiddies it looks like we finally have a release schedule worked out that accommodates approvals and vacations for our fine folks at LLL.

April 9:

THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN BIGFOOT (Joe Kraemer - signed)
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN LP (limited edition of 1000 units)

April 23:

THE SENTINEL (GIL MILLE)

In May we get back to our normal 2 week schedule...

May 14:

THE QUINN MARTIN COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 (2 CD SET) - VARIOUS ARTISTS
BUMBLEBEE (hopefully) (DARIO MARIANELLI)

MAY 28:

FLETCH LIVES (HAROLD FALTERMEYER)

Well, hopefully it all sticks, but you never know about some surprises

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134978&forumID=1&archive=0

From the same thread

Vol 1 of QM Collection is so friggin amazing any self respecting film score collector should be flipping out

GOLDSMITH
BROUGHTON
GRUSIN
SCHIFRIN
PARKER
TATRO
RIDDLE
P. WILLIAMS
SHIRE

So much awesomeness in a jam packed 2 disc set (Vol 1 of a multi volume series). Some of the greatest music ever composed for TV. Themes so infectious the CDC should make us slap a warning label on the cover!

MV

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

I got Stargate when it came out, in my early days of film score listening. Back then, I played it frequently, but I haven't put it on in years. Pretty much everything I know by Arnold can't really hold my attention these days. Still, Stargate has a good share of fun bits, so the expansion might be worth a try. At least it has more breathing room than Independence Day - that one was nearly too much for me even as a single CD album back in the day.

The ID4 OST feels more like a symphony that you can knock out in one sitting. If you added Target Remains and Victory, and replaced The Day We Fight Back with the 2000 World Records version of the final battle, it'd be perfect.

I essentially made an alternative OST for ID4 using LLL's set. The whole thing is indeed too much.

Stargate is a score that I initially found overwhelming and too long, but I'm in a phase now where I like to revisit scores (and in some cases make two playlists) so I might find myself liking it again.

• 2 weeks later...

In a last minute change we are swapping release dates. Next Tuesday instead of The Sentinel coming out it will Quinn Martin Collection Vol 1. THE SENTINEL will now come out on May 14

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=135140&forumID=1&archive=0

On 4/3/2019 at 9:50 PM, Richard Penna said:

I essentially made an alternative OST for ID4 using LLL's set. The whole thing is indeed too much.

Curious to hear what tracks you chose to include.

Nothing new on

JFK
Bumblebee

No flyer for May. Only thing definitely coming is The Sentinel on May 7

No Cobra Kai Season 2 on cd. No one bought it. :(

Would love to do Animaniacs some day but things at WB have gotten too pricey so that well may be dry.

Young Indy would be amazing, but I can only assume that's Intrada territory

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=28&r=220#bottom

Well, he didn't say "no" or "yes" to my question about Apocalypse Now, so I'll make an educated guess and say that MV is keeping quiet about it because they are working on it

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope he's not being literal saying 'no one bought it' :o

That said, on visiting the product page it seems to be music from some YouTube Red series. (IOW, no one knows what it is...)

Jesus, it's like these studios don't give a damn about these things. Bumblebee is still awaiting artwork approval? after what? Weeks? Months?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are you buying?

Random stuff I never found for free. Crown Imperial, Haydn's first cello concerto, rare Belgian baroque ensemble albums that I lost etc.

Couple of updates

1. Bumblebee has been delayed indefinitely. As soon as we have an update we will let you know.

2. I forgot that we will go back to our regular release pattern in May so the next release is May 14 (The Sentinel)

After that, it's May 28 and we hope to have The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season One and Fletch lives out then

We are currently working on our "500th release" (in our minds). That should be out late June/July. It should be quite something

That is all

MV

Where's my three-disc collection of Murder She Wrote cues?!  John Addison's theme is a classic!

It's owned by Universal so LLL could totally do it.

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably just an obscure Goldsmith score that nobody wants...

I don't think an obscure Goldsmith score that nobody wants exists.