The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, I like the suite, but would an expanded release feature much new, great material?

Well, the existing CD of The Swarm (pretty sure there is only one) is "complete" from Prometheus, at 73 minutes long. That said, I think as with their Basic Instinct, or the Varese Deluxe Edition of Total Recall (or for a more recent example, Varese Stargate DE vs. new LLL), there were film takes and such left off. So on both of those great Goldsmith scores Quartet was able to offer a more definitive two disc edition. And Jerry's original album arrangement of the score (one of his best, with unique edits and such) has never been officially released on CD. So people speculate that LLL is working on a definitive two disc set, with the first disc the complete score with all film takes, and the second disc containing the original album's CD premiere, plus any alternates. Probably something similar to LLL's two disc release of The Blue Max.

Yavar

LLL gives us the best Christmas gifts with their Black Friday batch every year. :) 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

They don't give them, they try and sell them to you.

It is a gift! A gift to the friends of film music! Why should we not buy it?!!!

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

A gift you have to pay for.

Good! I wouldn't want to be in their debt anyway!

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

La-La Land send their regards. *slashes your wallet*

tenor (3).gif

Well as long as it isn't my life they are after. :P 

Also always nice to see that my comment on how wonderful it is that LLL makes "a gift" (= makes available to us) of these scores on such exceööemt releases evokes such pedantic response from people.

All in good fun I know.

And yes my wallet is paying for it but I pay quite willingly for such great releases!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Christmas time is good for an expanded version of me. All that delicious Christmas food is bound to make me expand in width a good measure methinks. Also I am by nature complete and chronological.

I reckon Thor only likes bits and pieces of you then. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

80608518_10158306380693755_1409124532970

10 LLL releases for me this year, plus 2 on the maybe list... Pick of the bunch for me is the Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection - never owned any of them before, 2nd hand prices were ridiculous so this was an unexpected delight.

Incredible how their output has declined from years past (in terms of quantity that is) but I suppose that is to be expected. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The HP box? I'd say both SW and IJ would top that.

If LLL gets access to Disney I'll be (pleasantly) shocked.

Exactly right.  They know the value of John Williams' Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores and would want to release those scores on their own label

Even little things like the Ewok scores by Peter Bernstein could come out on Intrada but not JW's stuff

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Incredible how their output has declined from years past (in terms of quantity that is)

I won't be surprised if we see a merger between some of these specialty labels in the near future.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Incredible how their output has declined from years past (in terms of quantity that is) but I suppose that is to be expected. 

If LLL gets access to Disney I'll be (pleasantly) shocked.

All the labels have slowed down, which is good.  There was just too much being released.

And more Korngold please, and Psycho!

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

It has never made sense, to me, to ever be disappointed in any label's output

Agreed. It's the collective output of the specialty labels that's disappointing. Too few archival releases, from the times when film music used to be good on a more regular basis. I mean, how many Blake Neely scores does the world need?

56 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

like LLL releasing 3000 Star Trek scores every fricken year. 

And 100 Blake Neely scores.