The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

13 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Where the hell is Ghostbusters II? It's the only blockbuster movie I can think of that's never had a single second of score released.

Chances are that Randy Edelman will have to rebuild the score from scratch.

It's definitely not the only blockbuster score with not a single second of score released, but true, I can't think of many. (Spidey 3)

I'm sure LLL was making murmurs about it a few years ago, but nothing came of it. I can't remember if and where any updates emerged.

MV has definitely posted he'd love to release GB2. Since nothing ever came of it that usually means issues with elements, issues with licensing, or both 

26 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's definitely not the only blockbuster score with not a single second of score released, but true, I can't think of many. (Spidey 3)

Spider-Man 3 has had promo leaks, so at least we have something of that. But in 31 years, nothing of Ghostbusters II.

I remember MV mentioning (back in 2016-17?) that once Randy Edelman told a Sony Music executive that LLL would possibly handle the score release, Sony Music immediately decided to handle the release themselves, but all these years later...

5 hours ago, Jay said:

That was about GB1, not GB2... and GB1 eventually happened by Sony!  And it was very incomplete!

Is there anything that stupid company doesn't completely and utterly screw up? Seems like clueless idiots run the joint, especially their music division.

As if aimlessly sitting on the SW scores for two decades wasn't bad enough, just imagine if some genius has the bright idea of doing a Tintin expansion internally without hiring MM?

Found the quote!

Ghostbusters and GB2 were supposed to come out on Madison Gate during Sony's obsession with all things Ghostbusters. Initially we were going to do GB2, then in his excitement Mr Edelman spoke with a top exec at Sony who put the kibosh on LLL doing the project stating all things GB should be kept in house. Things might be different now. We'll see.

MV

No flyer for January per MV.  Not sure if this means no releases or just flyer?

Happy New Year to all at LLL.

Any possibility of a flyer for January?

Nope.

I have no clue as to when stuff is coming out. May not have anything until February or March.

MV

They said last year that releases get delayed or approved so at the last minute that they just can't know enough for sure to do proper monthly flyers announcing releases.

16 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Not sure if this means no releases or just flyer?

You included the answer to your question within your post

May not have anything until February or March.

MV

That's a very kind message, but I haven't listened to any of their BF titles yet, haha.

Also, can WB just increase costs of things alredy agreed on? That's kind of a rude thing to do, isn't it? Is that even legal?

Hoping for Far and Away and Hook and deeply appreciate what they've done so far.

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Sad about Warners though, I hope JFK made it through in time, and glad we got Empire of the Sun, The Towering Inferno and the Potters when we did.

I'm a little surprised JFK hasn't already been done, given WB scores have been (seemingly) so accessible for LLL. For some reason I thought it was being worked on years ago but got held up by licensing or something (I'm sure MV commented on it once).

Sadly this appears to be the new normal though. First Sony and Fox, now WB, on top of post-2005 scores recorded in LA being cost-prohibitive for the labels. It's lucky the labels took advantage of that golden window a few years back, before these studios closed their vaults again.

At least MV confirmed those Sony titles aren't dead... yet.

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

LLL must be finally running out of Star Treks!

I guess they sell well, considering how many of them are released. It's a good thing for all of us though -- we benefit if LLL remain profitable and release titles that sell; it allows them to pursue bigger ticket items like Potter.

Oh, it just occurred to me, we probably won't see the rest of the Potter series expanded now. That's a shame!

There always seems to a billion Trek albums on the website so I wonder is it a case of them selling well or just someone at LLL is a big fan. 

There's a huge contingent of Trek fans out there that love this stuff. It's the same reason CBS spent a shitload of money totally remastering whole seasons of the original show, complete with new VFX. There's a market for it, apparently (I can't fathom it either, but they wouldn't spend a bucketload of money on such a niche item unless it was profitable).

LLL wouldn't pursue all those scores just because someone on staff was a huge fan, unless they want to go bankrupt! Ergo, they must sell pretty well.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm a little surprised JFK hasn't already been done, given WB scores have been (seemingly) so accessible for LLL. For some reason I thought it was being worked on years ago but got held up by licensing or something (I'm sure MV commented on it once).

MV has commented on JFK more than once but I said in a post earlier (somewhere) they have been so preoccupied with other major Williams titles that JFK hasn't been their focus understandably. The last time I checked with Matessino he hadn't even considered the project. And MV (to me) had expressed on the various licences involved in getting this tackled. So here is hoping to see if there is any movement for this year. 

14 minutes ago, Amer said:

The last time I checked with Matessino he hadn't even considered the project. And MV (to me) had expressed on the various licences involved in getting this tackled.

I'm not too familiar with the score but why is this one in particular so difficult, licence wise? Is it just because so many production companies were involved in the making of the film?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I'm not too familiar with the score but why is this one in particular so difficult, licence wise? Is it just because so many production companies were involved in the making of the film?

I think you may have already answered your question. :sarcasm:

Frankly I would think it would be more profitable to release Williams' Oliver Stones scores as separate individual releases that come out at different times, than it would be to release a box set of all 3 together.

I agree that the fanbase would overlap on JP and HP.  For me, it's a matter of logistics.  The John WIlliams people, the hardcore fans and collectors are guaranteed purchases whether the releases are individual or boxed.   For HP especially, I think you lose some buy-in from casual or non-score-based fans when the product is $70-80 as opposed to $20-30 apiece.  Not that LLL has had trouble moving that particular product.

(In the end I'm happy all the scores came out, and if studios are closing their vaults, all the better that they're coming out in bulk.  Just businesswise, it's befuddling to me.)

21 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

From FSM:

Posted:  Jan 5, 2020 - 6:05 AM    

By:  La La Land Records 

We understand that shipping costs are killing you guys, especially overseas, so we are trying to come up with an alternative plan that helps you guys out and keeps our lights on every month.

I liked this paragraph very much :)

If I was in charge of one of these specialty labels, I'd simply start releasing one batch of titles per month, always on the first Tuesday of every month, and always only what's already finished at the pressing plant.  Anything not ready yet?  Comes out next month with whatever we finish up between now and then.  If something goes up for sale, it's shipping out that day!

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Nuts. Well I guess we can forget about an 'Oliver Stone John Williams' collection anytime soon.

Insert crying emoji :(:(:(

I think both JFK and BOTFJ are monumental scores deserving of separate releases rather than the box treatment because of their Oscar worthiness. These are major box office movies with leading stars and if the artwork approval policy falls in their domain as in most Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner cases then dont expect an easy timeline to get them approved. 

Universal scores don't seem to be a problem, so the biggest hurdle with BOTFJ is probably the Cruise artwork approval (I believe, like Costner, he personally approves any use of his likeness on artwork).

But he loves Williams and had no issues with Minority Report last year, so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Wouldn't surprise me if LLL did it concurrently with War of the Worlds, just to get both signed off simultaneously (I doubt the latter would have many licensing hurdles either). Those two plus The Patriot 20th Anniversary would make a fantastic year for 2020 :)

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Universal scores don't seem to be a problem, so the biggest hurdle with BOTFJ is probably the Cruise artwork approval (I believe, like Costner, he personally approves any use of his likeness on artwork).

But he loves Williams and had no issues with Minority Report last year, so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Wouldn't surprise me if LLL did it concurrently with War of the Worlds, just to get both signed off simultaneously (I doubt the latter would have many licensing hurdles either). Those two plus The Patriot 20th Anniversary would make a fantastic year for 2020 :)

A Tom Cruise John Williams Collection would have been funny too!