The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

On 1/6/2020 at 12:28 AM, crumbs said:

There's a huge contingent of Trek fans out there that love this stuff. It's the same reason CBS spent a shitload of money totally remastering whole seasons of the original show, complete with new VFX. There's a market for it, apparently (I can't fathom it either, but they wouldn't spend a bucketload of money on such a niche item unless it was profitable).

What is it you can’t fathom, investing in TOS in general, or the new VFX specifically?

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

What is it you can’t fathom, investing in TOS in general, or the new VFX specifically?

More generally how it was profitable. Remastering that much material in high def (new scans + cleanup) then replacing all VFX shots with CG would have been a costly exercise. Clearly they wouldn't have done it unless it turned a profit, so the fanbase must be investing in it (enough to make the expense worthwhile).

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

More generally how it was profitable. Remastering that much material in high def (new scans + cleanup) then replacing all VFX shots with CG would have been a costly exercise. Clearly they wouldn't have done it unless it turned a profit, so the fanbase must be investing in it (enough to make the expense worthwhile).

It's the version Netflix uses, and cable TV networks across the world continually broadcast it, so all those deals probably covered the expense more than fans buying blu-rays did.

Keep in mind though that the HD remaster of TNG was a total financial failure (which is why they don't even consider tackling DS9), and I'd assume that show had the bigger fanbase (and due to more seasons more material to license out) compared to TOS.

They don’t consider tackling DS9 because DS9 has a niche fanbase. It’s the same reason that DS9 never got any movies. Nothing has penetrated popular culture and has evergreen appeal other than TOS and TNG, which is why those two properties are treated with tender loving care. If you look at it that way, it doesn’t matter so much whether the TNG remaster costs were recouped by initial blu-ray sales, because they are going to want to sell those for a long time, broadcast/stream them, sell toys and books and costumes and whatever, and then of course the show itself is being revived this year!

• 2 weeks later...

Per LLL Twitter:

"Limited Edition Soundtrack CDs available to order at lalalandrecords.com on 1/28 at noon pst - #DARKMAN 30th Anniv. 2-CD Expanded Set by @dannyelfman - expanded #HOFFA by #DavidNewman & #PANDORA Season 1 by @joekraemer & @PenkaKouneva ! #PandoraCW #DannyElfman #SamRaimi"

Don't believe me?  Google it, I can't access social media on this contuter.

Heck yeah for Darkman!

On 1/21/2020 at 5:11 PM, Laserschwert said:

It's been ages since I've seen Darkman, but I guess the score is good, judging by what everyone says. Is it along the lines of Batman?

It's similar to Batman yes, but doesn't have a strong, iconic theme like Batman does

Another bootleg to throw in the bin thanks to a great official release!  And the boot fit on one disc, so this is even longer!

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't mean all are boring, only that the sale contains all the boring titles. :)

And they do have more JW titles in stock. Cheapos!

They're probably just trying to move those titles.  CE3K, Superman and Minority Report will sell themselves.

Got this in email last night...

BE OUR VALENTINE SALE! Celebrate Valentine's Day with great savings on these scores to films laced with romance! Special offer good thru 2/17.

GIANT (2-CD SET), FLETCH LIVES and ROMANCING THE STONE are ONLY $15 EACH

Giant-hi-Web.jpg fletchlives-Web.jpg Romancing-the-Stone-cover-Web.jpg

BIG TOP PEE WEE, JEWEL OF THE NILE, WILD IS THE WIND (2-CD SET), DEAD AGAIN, THE MAN WITH ONE RED SHOE and FIRST LOVE are ONLY $10 EACH

bigtoppeewee-cover-Web.jpg The-Jewel-of-the-Nile-Web.jpg wildisthewind-Web.jpg

deadagain-Web.jpg TheManWithOneRedShoeWeb.jpg firstlove-coverWeb.jpg

RESTLESS, WINGS and MY UNCLE RAFAEL are ONLY $3 EACH

Restless-Web.jpg wings-Web.jpg MUR-Web.jpg

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

© 2020 La-La Land Records. All rights reserved.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Doyle's Dead Again is a friggin' masterpiece and one of his greatest scores, from his best period. Anyone who doesn't have it should get it NOW! First Love is also a steal at $10.

Yavar

You know, I gave my copy to Patrick Doyle to sign but then I put the cover in my pocket and later realised I mistakenly gave him a wipe-off marker pen. :lol:

Karol

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wish they did more Doyle releases.

Apparently, of all the Doyle scores Varese released in the early-mid 90s, the only one they control in perpetuity is Carlito's Way. I fear the reason we haven't seen more Doyle expansions (Needful Things, anyone?) is because Dead Again underperformed sales-wise... :( 

Yavar

Well, I used to be a huge Doyle fan, but Dead Again was a score I really didn't like. I was more partial to his romantic scores back then. Having said that, I'd still buy something like Sense and Sensibility or Hamlet right away today.

55 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You know, I gave my copy to Patrick Doyle to sign but then I put the cover in my pocket and later realised I mistakenly gave him a wipe-off marker pen. :lol:

cqADp1M.gif

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, I used to be a huge Doyle fan, but Dead Again was a score I really didn't like. I was more partial to his romantic scores back then. Having said that, I'd still buy something like Sense and Sensibility or Hamlet right away today.

So I take it you're not a Henry V or Frankenstein or Needful Things fan either? Don't like the dark stuff?

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My favourite Doyle is FRANKENSTEIN. No. Sorry, er...MARY SHELLY'S FRANKENSTEIN. Er, no. That's not right. KENNETH BRANAGH'S MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN. Whew!

Not that it's perfect, but in my book KENNETH BRANAGH'S MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN > > > > FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA'S BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA :D 

YAVAR

Yes, I didn't like the dark stuff five years ago, but I'd probably like it lots more if I listened to it again. Back then I listened to film scores without having watched the movies they belonged to, which I'm not doing anymore, though, and Branagh's movies never appear on TV here.

• 1 month later...

FRIDAY THE 13th MANFREDINI FLASH SALE! 

FRIDAY THE 13TH FLASH SALE! Celebrate this Friday The 13th the best way imaginable... with an amazing sale on maestro Harry Manfredini's canon of classic FRIDAY THE 13TH scores! FRIDAY THE 13TH, FRIDAY THE 13TH PARTS 2&3 (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13TH PARTS 4&5 (2-CD SET), FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6 and FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME (2-CD SET) are all ONLY $10 EACH!

FRi13Web.jpg friday13th-pt2-Web.jpg F13-Pt5-cover-Web.jpg F13Pt6-Web.jpg F13game-cover-fix-Web.jpg

OFFER GOOD NOW THRU 3/15.

© 2020 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.