The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

And so it begins.  LLLR has nothing new to release in all of April, possibly longer

Nothing new until May...we hope

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=139722&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=155#bottom

UPDATE: more bad news

When might the Williams' Disaster Box come back?

Honestly probably later this year. We will not be repressing any box sets or any 3rd party titles until we figure out if we still have a company in the coming months...or customer base to sell to. What we have in stock is pretty much it for the foreseeable future.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=32&r=500#bottom

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Everything, maybe with the exception of that King Cohen thing?

But pressing plants are closed so its not like they could repress that anyway.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Everything, maybe with the exception of that King Cohen thing?

Yeah, imagine sale after sale/batch after batch of King Cohen.

All joking aside, though, I seriously hope they won't go bankrupt. Makes me feel kind of bad that I already bought everything I wanted. But they shouldn't worry about not having any more customers.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

But they shouldn't worry about not having any more customers.

That's what I was thinking. 

I'm not trying to be naive to the situation at all, but anybody that knows of LLL will always find a way to scrounge up some money and purchase the cds that they sell and release.

I suppose there are very few surefire hits to keep them going. I would imagine John Williams keeps the lights on but...what else?

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I suppose there are very few surefire hits to keep them going. I would imagine John Williams keeps the lights on but...what else?

Karol

They could start releasing Bill Ross, who's sadly underrepresented on CD!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's in stock, unless we're talking about different things.

https://lalalandrecords.com/king-cohen-limited-edition-blu-ray-film-cd-soundtrack-combo/

Most businesses are set up so they can survive a month or two of slow or no sales pretty easily.  The problem right now is just not knowing how long until all aspects of their business return to normal, from the studios who have to send the material and approve things later, to the contractors doing the restoration and master working, to the liner notes writers, to the pressing plants.  It's all up in the air.  Everything they do relies on lots things they don't have much control over

The moment everything returns to normal, it's not like approving stuff for a tiny specialty label is going to be high on the priority list of these massive studios that are months behind in all of other areas that make them more money.  

And for the pressing plants, they'll make more money pressing more Taylor Swift or Bob Dylan albums than 500 copies of something for a specialty label, so it could while before specialty label film score releases that ARE approved even get pressed.

Really terrible but it is to be expected with all that is taking place right now.

Although not ideal, perhaps a CD-R MOD model would alleviate the issue with pressing plants (though not licencing, clearances, transfers and all that other stuff).

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What are 3rd party titles?

I think those are the ones that involve a film studio and/or production house as well as a record label (such as Far and Away) rather than just a studio (for example, anything from MGM). Just my speculation.

Depends if they are willing to pay up, Spielberg I'm sure has the means and the clout, but would he be willing to sink millions into a loss leader?

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Being paid monthly I only have a small window of disposable income where I can purchase these releases

Ever heard about saving up? ;)

I wish LLL would introduce a backorder system, where you can still purchase items that are out of stock and they just withhold shipment until stock is received (or if stock isn't received in 3 months, they refund your purchase). Wouldn't that give them a better idea of which titles need new stock (based on the backlog of orders) and improve their cashflow with money upfront?

A better solution would be that they placed a new order at the pressing plant when they see that a title will run out of stock in a few months.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wish LLL would introduce a backorder system, where you can still purchase items that are out of stock and they just withhold shipment until stock is received (or if stock isn't received in 3 months, they refund your purchase). Wouldn't that give them a better idea of which titles need new stock (based on the backlog of orders) and improve their cashflow with money upfront?

I've been saying this for ages.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Pretty shit for international buyers too, who try to purchase multiple items per order to reduce the shipping charges. 4-5 separate orders each year isn't financially viable anymore.

Well considering all non-essential items are grounded in my country, no CDs ordered from anywhere are able to be delivered.

This is very frustrating. Superman, Naked Gun, the Disaster Box, Minority Report, Mission Impossible and Stargate all out of stock, yet I'd happily purchase copies today if they were available.

I only have a small window of disposable income where I can make these purchases, but I find they're out of stock more regularly than in stock (and circumstances have often changed by the time stock returns).

Pretty shit for international buyers too, who try to purchase multiple items per order to reduce the shipping charges. 4-5 separate orders each year isn't financially viable anymore.

Agreed with everything you wrote. I used to be able to wait on the bigger titles and grab them during sales in one order. But in the past few years that’s just lead to lots of frustration. 

wow, I feel terrible for them.  I just ordered everything I wanted but didn't previously buy.  3:10 to Yuma, Dances With Wolves, Dead Again, Eye for an eye, French Connection, Peacemaker, Primal fear, Red 2, The Relic, Sum of All Fears, Project X, and Roadhouse.  Wyatt Earp was out of stock  :(

I hope they come out of this ok. 

1 hour ago, Demondm810 said:

wow, I feel terrible for them.  I just ordered everything I wanted but didn't previously buy.  3:10 to Yuma, Dances With Wolves, Dead Again, Eye for an eye, French Connection, Peacemaker, Primal fear, Red 2, The Relic, Sum of All Fears, Project X, and Roadhouse.  Wyatt Earp was out of stock  :(

I hope they come out of this ok. 

Dances with wolves… that's one of those expansions I kind of want to buy if I'm really bored, but not really.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't need any physical release of that score.

Out of Africa is much better anyway!

1 minute ago, Þekþiþm said:

A spiritual release of the score instead?

A psychological release.

Here's something interesting I noticed: when I ripped off the shipping label before disposing the packaging, I saw that they had scribbled "1 Dracula" underneath it. Do they often have these already in the envelope when they receive an order? I'd be curious to know, since I'm not sure what it'd be for otherwise besides necessary labeling on busier days.

Pv69xf1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Be careful, Dracula will make you a visit tonight. Be sure you're armed with garlic and a wooden stake.

No worries. He can't come in unless you invite him first. 

59 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Be careful, Dracula will make you a visit tonight. Be sure you're armed with garlic and a wooden stake.

If he did visit me, it would be the best offer I've had in years.

As long as he brought a mask, sanitized his hands, and kept to the "2 metre" rule.