The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

15 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Pity. Had hoped this might have been Hook. Oh well, too much of a good thing, etc.

Did someone say this was the intended May 5 announcement? 

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

Is this the release that was supposed to be announced on May 5?

I believe so, yea.  Must have come in early

The labels pretty obviously coordinate at least somewhat where you don't see Williams expansions released at the same time by different labels.  I'm very excited to order The River from Intrada next week!

We're getting a lot of great Williams releases, so many that I couldn't possibly wish for any more right now. There are some from recent years that I still don't feel like I've spent enough quality time with, like Minority Report, Dracula, and even Harry Potter. It's kinda crazy to be buying the River so soon after Far and Away - both scores I'm not familiar with and discovering through the expansions. Maybe it's a bit different for everyone who's already been listening to the OSTs. But then on top of that, there have been great new albums like TROS and Across the Stars... to say we're spoiled would be putting it mildly.

It's really hard to disagree with that.  In the last two to three years, we've gotten definitive expansions of ET, Close Encounters, The Cowboys, Saving Private Ryan, Dracula, Schindler's List, HP 1, HP 2, HP 3, Superman, Monsignor, Minority Report, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, and Far and Away.

It's hard to feel that we're lacking, even if the instinct is to want more more more!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

There's absolutely nothing definitive about Schindler's List though.

At least it's easier to make a great sounding C&C edit than it was before. Personally, I just made an complete OST style edit with a chronological playlist. I'm quite happy with it.

Nice to have an update. Sorry to hear Superman or Disaster Box won't be back in stock before the sale ends. Guess I'll just pick up a few other titles (so they can sit in LA International Airport for 6 months :lol:)

5 titles for June is nice to hear.

• Two Mules for Sister Sara could be one if it's finally approved
  • There was also that The Adventures of Batman & Robin (IE season 2 of Batman: TAS) cover art they put on their 500 releases poster in July 2019 that still hasn't come out.
  • Alfred Newman's The Diary of Anne Frank was supposed to be in the works too, though I cannot recall if there was a later update indicating it was canceled or not
  • Likewise, I recall MV mentioning Kamen's X-Men at least once, though do not recall if he later posted that it wasn't in the works any more
  • They were seeking suggestions for X-Files Volume 4 circa 2018 so that could be ready now
  • MV at one point mentioned JFK was coming in a post from 2016, but never mentioned it again

It sounds like Midnight Run hasn't even started yet so that can't be one of them

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Good lord, has it been 4 years since MV announced they were planning on releasing JFK?!  I would imagine at this point the audio portion is done and they're waiting on sign-offs / approvals?  Or for the right time to release?

Literally the only thing he said about it was "JFK -- 2017 or later", so it's entirely possible they never actually even got started and it was quietly canceled.

We've only had one Spielberg/Williams expansion since Schindler's List in 2018. It seemed like both managements were keen to keep those coming.

Interestingly, last year was the first since 2014 with only one expansion from their catalog. Makes me wonder if there's a handful of their scores finished and awaiting approvals (WOTW especially, if Cruise is on the artwork).

Sorry about the misinformation on Btas Vol 1. That's out of stock now. More coming later this summer.

MV

3 hours ago, Jay said:

5 titles for June is nice to hear.

• Two Mules for Sister Sara could be one if it's finally approved
  • There was also that The Adventures of Batman & Robin (IE season 2 of Batman: TAS) cover art they put on their 500 releases poster in July 2019 that still hasn't come out.
  • Waxman's The Diary of Anne Frank was supposed to be in the works too, though I cannot recall if there was a later update indicating it was canceled or not
  • Likewise, I recall MV mentioning Kamen's X-Men at least once, though do not recall if he later posted that it wasn't in the works any more
  • They were seeking suggestions for X-Files Volume 4 circa 2018 so that could be ready now
  • MV at one point mentioned JFK was coming in a post from 2016, but never mentioned it again

It sounds like Midnight Run hasn't even started yet so that can't be one of them

Anything else I'm forgetting?

You're forgetting that The Diary of Anne Frank was an Alfred Newman score, not a Franz Waxman score, for one. :) MV indicated it was still happening a few months ago, and there has been no indication since that that has changed. There *was* an indication re: Kamen's X-Men that it had been delayed thanks to Dark Phoenix or some other X-Men film coming out. Hopefully they got to it before the Disney-Fox purchase closed off their access to that. We should ask again in the FSM thread.

Yavar

I forgot about Quinn Martin Vol 3 as well, and that MV had posted this update in March 2020:

On 3/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, Jay said:

What we hope to have out in the coming months

X Files Vol 4
Quinn Martin Vol 3
Two Mules for Sister Sara

Adventures of Batman and Robin....eventually

We are working hard on 10 other titles currently with hopes of having them all out between now and end of July

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=31&r=908#bottom

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh, dunno how I mixed that up with Frank.  Corrected.

LLL was also planning major Waxman expansions (Sayonara and Spirit of St. Louis) until the Sony Music sub-licensing freeze (hopefully temporarily) cancelled those. Maybe you mixed up the Golden Age expansions they were working on?

Either that or something to do with Demetrius and the Gladiators, the sequel to The Robe where Waxman composed the score and used multiple Newman themes from the first film. That's the biggest connection I can think of between the two composers. That and the fact that Waxman resigned from the Academy in protest over their failure to recognize Newman's great achievement with The Robe score...

Yavar

What can they do about it? Doesn't it require our brainless toddlers...; excuse me, our great elected leaders... to come together and realise you can't have that kind of shit in a global society?

Has anyone in Australia received any parcels mailed from the US in the last 2-3 months? I'm guessing there's a huge backlog at LA International Airport.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more! He could have done more!

See how funny it is! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm! Shawm!

Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook! Hook!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Has anyone in Australia received any parcels mailed from the US in the last 2-3 months? I'm guessing there's a huge backlog at LA International Airport.

Nope - Schindler's List has been in LA since April 1st. I guess you could say it's a April Fool's joke gone too far.

I had a parcel ordered from Japan earlier than April, and it was rejected and returned to sender after spending two weeks in their post!

I don't know when Australia will allow flights, which means buying anything overseas is asking for a half year wait!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Don't afford him that honor, we call that zero effort shitposting.

We don't say shitposting no more. It's called shawmposting now.