The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

so much material wasn't able to be released for convoluted legal reasons

???

Which material?

MV, any word on the Lethal Weapon and Harry Potter box sets being back in stock?

LW probably Aug

HP probably Fall

MV, what about the John Williams disaster movies box set, when is that expected to be back?

any day now

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=34&r=810#bottom

55 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Apparently all the material Williams worked in the 1980s for the scrapped Peter Pan musical that became Hook, I guess

But wss anything recorded?

I seem to recall an old print interview with Herbert W. Spencer where he mentioned that Julie Andrews had recorded Childhood, but for the life of me I haven't been able to find anything about it on the internet.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

And LLL can't have been thrilled that so much material wasn't able to be released for convoluted legal reasons. The previous expansion is far from comprehensive. 

crumbs is most likely talking about the material from the score that wasn't included, and tracks taken from inferior sources. Not any potential scrapped musical material.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I don't think that stuff was missing for legal reasons , though - the tapes were not located at that time.

IIRC They had access to the cues in the form of a leaked sessions bootleg, but they couldn't use it for obvious legal reasons.

So those tapes that leaked obviously existed at one point because they could leak, has DD tried to... you know... maybe look for them or something?

9 hours ago, Smeltington said:

crumbs is most likely talking about the material from the score that wasn't included, and tracks taken from inferior sources. Not any potential scrapped musical material.

Nah, there was an interview with Tim Burden and Matt/MV (28:40) about a bunch of incredible stuff they weren't able to release in 2012 but hoped would eventually see the light of day. They definitely weren't referring to just the bootleg of the "missing" tapes; seemed like something far more involved. I transcribed that interview recently in another thread:

Tim: There's supposed to be hundreds of minutes ... lots of deleted scenes, aren't there?

MV: There certainly is and there's certainly truth to rumours about the film initially being a musical or such, or at least scenes being shot. It's certainly a story that has a fascinating history...

Michael: Lots of the [music] actually had lyrics to them at some point. [John] and Mr Bricusse sat down and worked on these wonderful songs that sadly, I dunno if they'll ever see the light of day... but you never know! Stranger things have happened! Who knows, maybe for the 25th Anniversary?

Tim: (laughs) So these are the elements that you tried to get your hands on and tried to find but basically you couldn't? Just -- no one knows where they are?

MV: Uhh... I can't say we didn't find them... uhh, we just couldn't use them. (laughs)

Tim: Ah.. gotcha. Enough said.

MV: Very complicated.

Tim: Well, yeah, I suppose there are legalities in all this aren't there...

MV: Certainly, yes.

Agreed...  As much as I love Hook, I'm not a big fan of musicals.  There is a bright side, it might be so bad that it could knock off "Training Montage" from SpaceCamp off my least favorite JW track ROTFLMAO

It could be a suite of early theme demos or song recordings from the musical version; those materials will never see the light of day outside another Hook expansion. And seeing as there's already been a (flawed) prior expansion, covering the project's long-gestating development would make any subsequent release truly definitive.

Besides, the film score itself is mostly covered between the first expansion and the session leak (bar a few inserts).

16 hours ago, Holko said:

I emailed LLL so if anyone else happens to want to know, they're expecting to have Krull back in stock by Fall.

Are you sure he didn't say " Fall back in the Krull"

54 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm happy with the 20 plus minute suite on LABEL X.

If I want more I can always put on BRAINSTORM or STII😁

Funny, as I listen to Krull if I want more STII...

I only know The Braying Mule from Django Unchained. I'll catch up on the movie to see if it's all that good.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I only know The Braying Mule from Django Unchained. I'll catch up on the movie to see if it's all that good.

It’s mostly just variations on the one theme.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

Very slight difference between SuperTracks and LLL for Krull. LLL has correct cue order, since two tracks are in the wrong order on SuperTracks.

Perhaps it's the film that's in the wrong order. :lol:

1 hour ago, who cares said:

A soundtrack to an audio book. That's some real bottom of the barrel stuff right there. 

All media music is bottom of the barrel.

23 hours ago, who cares said:

A soundtrack to an audio book. That's some real bottom of the barrel stuff right there. 

A Doctor Who audiobook!

By a composer we've heard of before.

Curious...