The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How's the Lethal Weapon box?

I didn't grow up watching these films like I did with the Die Hards, so it was kind of a blind buy; I might have sampled one of the scores on Spottily beforehand, I can't remember.

I ended up liking it a lot!  There's a lot of really fun action music in these scores.  The scores are like a cousin of Die Hard's scores, but less serious and dour and more fun and well, saxophone-y

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I didn't grow up watching these films like I did with the Die Hards, so it was kind of a blind buy; I might have sampled one of the scores on Spottily beforehand, I can't remember.

I ended up liking it a lot!  There's a lot of really fun action music in these scores.  The scores are like a cousin of Die Hard's scores, but less serious and dour and more fun and well, saxophone-y

I find it hard to appreciate the Die Hard scores away from the films - perhaps the Lethal Weapon scores are better suited for that. I don't mind a good saxophone part!

It is indeed. It is the most satisfying from the musical narrative point of view. It does start slow but once it gets going it turns into the most consistently exciting score of the three. 

Lethal Weapon box set is good too. The scores share a lot of the same musical DNA with Die Hard but with other eclectic elements thrown into the mix as well.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is indeed. It is the most satisfying from the musical narrative point of view. It does start slow but once it gets going it turns into the most consistently exciting score of the three. 

Karol

The ' best' thing about these expansions is the previously op, htf,  and $$$ version become available.

I paid $5 for APOLLO 13, DOLORES CLAIBORNE

3 bucks for DH2 osts,  after the multi- disc sets came out!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

TV is different, I love season boxes

Well, the difference is, these special Labels box set releases come out only as a box set. TV series (unless they're older) come out as individual seasons first, and then years later when the series is done, you get a box set. And then there's me with the first (or first two or three) seasons already bought, trying to decide whether to pick up the remaining ones individually or to get the box set. I'm still waiting for a good deal on the Fringe box set.

He hopes that the title(s) they want to release on the 28th will be approved and back from the pressing plant by then

LLL hasn't done the clue game for years, they just wait until things are at the plant then put them on a monthly flier, or don't do anything and just announce them about a week before release via a short Facebook/FSM post

The forum software has a glitch where if you open up the newest page of a thread, type out a reply, but then don't submit it until after other people have submitted replies that generated a new page, it will take your reply and put it where it belongs on the next page, but your browser will remain on the current page and make it look like nothing happened, so you keep hitting submit thinking something's wrong, while every submission keeps merging onto a growing post. 

When you see this happen, you can delete out all those extra copies of your post instead of leaving them in for all to see

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The forum software has a glitch where if you open up the newest page of a thread, type out a reply, but then don't submit it until after other people have submitted replies that generated a new page, it will take your reply and put it where it belongs on the next page, but your browser will remain on the current page and make it look like nothing happened, so you keep hitting submit thinking something's wrong, and of course they all get merged together.

Thanks, that explains why this is happening now and then, but on very rare occasion.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

When you see this happen, you can delete out all those extra copies of your post instead of leaving them in for all to see.

What Bolle says.

Remember back when MV posted this:

Current studios that are in play for rest of 2020 are (not to say we aren't working with WB and MGM for 2021 titles)

Fox/Disney
Paramount
Sony
Universal

Due to the pandemic approvals are slow

Hopefully this will rectify itself in 2021 and we will be able to get some exciting titles out

In the meantime we hope to have some really great stuff out Dec 1 (our Black Friday batch). As of right now we have no idea what will be approved in time. We've done our part...its up to the approval Gods to answer our prayers

(No crazy pricey box sets though so you can rule that out)

MV

He added clarification:

When you included "Fox/Disney" in the list of studios you were expecting releases from this year, does that imply you guys could do scores from films released by Disney Pictures, or are you exclusively talking about films that were Fox originally?

Fox

Also, he posted this

Exactly 2 months away from the Black Friday announcement!

It might be scaled back from previous years but I am sure it will still be a stellar set of releases as always from LLL.

No it wont be so dont get worked up over it. Just stop.

MV

29 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Didn’t MV say last year to not get excited about the BF releases?  I seem to remember that but hey we got the disaster set!

MV: "really great stuff"

Later...

MV: "it won't be stellar, don't get worked up"

Lol

His exact quote was

we hope to have some really great stuff out Dec 1 (our Black Friday batch). As of right now we have no idea what will be approved in time. We've done our part...its up to the approval Gods to answer our prayers

(No crazy pricey box sets though so you can rule that out)

MV

oh and now he's clarified that last statement

No it's not going to be a stellar set of releases. They will be good if we get approved in time but nothing jaw dropping. No Harry Potter set or Jurassic Park or Lethal weapon or Paramount Western set. Good solid releases that we hope folks like.

MV

~

42 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Didn’t MV say last year to not get excited about the BF releases?  I seem to remember that but hey we got the disaster set!

This is what he said last year:

On 11/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, ATXHusker said:

5 releases planned for Black Friday. I'm sure we will anger/disappoint most of you. Do NOT expect anything like last year's batch. That was lightening in a bottle.

MV

The 5 BF releases of 2019 ended up being:

DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION – MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD BOX SET)
NEVADA SMITH – THE PARAMOUNT WESTERNS COLLECTION
STARGATE: 25th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
THE KARATE KID: 35th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION
STAR TREK VOYAGER COLLECTION VOLUME 2

Thanks for all the love. We are doing what we can

As for some of the questions...

More Trek hopefully in 2021
Same with DCAU
No on Stargate
Hopefully some great tv scores to come in 2021
Would love to do more QM sets if we can

MV

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

How the fuck is there still MORE Treck to be released? 

That's " dreck" not " Treck"

More QM mediocrity while the jewels in the Universal vaults go

Unheard.

😥😒😠

It's enough to drive one to drink!

They haven't adhered to a strict schedule of flyer postings in years now.  That was nice when it was a regular for a short window!

These days everything depends on approvals so if the Oct 28 titles still aren't approved, they can't release a flyer with them on it, ya know?

I don't really need a massive "highlight of the decade" bombshell like the Potter or JP boxes to get excited for new soundtrack releases.  I look forward to seeing what they have to offer over the next couple of months.

I'll just be happy to see Mike tick another few expansions off the checklist, don't really care which ones. Given everything that's happening in the world right now, any expansions are worth savouring.

Some of the unexpected releases (like The Cowboys) have become my favourite expansions. Discovering older scores I barely knew is just as rewarding as expansions for scores I know inside out (if not more).

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

BREAKING NEWS FROM VS!

Every release in the foreseeable future is cancelled because Richard is satisfied.

Hey, releases are good - it just seems like it's becoming harder to deliver the 'big' releases, particularly after JP and Potter, and we shouldn't be disappointed if they don't happen this year.

Well, we've had at least one JW / SS release every year since 2014, let's hope the panicdemic doesn't stop that streak.

Other than the IJ movies here are the only ones left pre-2005 cut-off:

Always

Amistad

Hook

CMIYC

The Terminal

WOTW 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's certainly the most fitting release during the pandemic.

And the most fitting of these to be released in October. Plus 15th anniversary.

Karol

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Well, we've had at least one JW / SS release every year since 2014, let's hope the panicdemic doesn't stop that streak.

Other than the IJ movies here are the only ones left pre-2005 cut-off:

Always

Amistad

Hook

CMIYC

The Terminal

WOTW 

Any of those would be awesome.  Especially Amistad or Catch Me If You Can