The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

2021 still no Star Wars, still no Indiana Jones...

They said 2020 was the year from hell. At this rate I'm going to be living in some retirement home fifty years from now and my grandson will be talking about how Star Wars is getting yet another vinyl release and no complete scores...

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I have a feeling that a complete Indy box will come out next year, as part of the marketing effort for the fifth movie.

As for Star Wars, who knows. 

I’d love for the first to be true but the opposite logic often seems to apply. Don’t release anything that might take the spotlight off the new thing! Such as with the new Bond film and interruption to releasing older scores (even though such releases would ah be come and gone by now!). But I still remain hopeful...

19 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’d love for the first to be true but the opposite logic often seems to apply. Don’t release anything that might take the spotlight off the new thing! Such as with the new Bond film and interruption to releasing older scores (even though such releases would ah be come and gone by now!). But I still remain hopeful...

Based on Star Wars, Disney's MO seems to be reminding everyone of the existance of something and why they loved in the first place. It's like in 2014/15, when suddenly there was a lot of Star Wars content. 

They might do this again for Indy and for Avatar next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

the whole page is gone from the LLL site, not just marked as OOP or temporarily out of stock.

They used to do that to seemingly random releases, I think.

I took notice of this and another thread just now and it seems like you have some conspiratorial beef with us and other labels.

Here are some answers for you

1. Sometimes our webmaster is not always on top of things and it takes a little time for him to make updates to the site (we are all busy and updates are not always instant). He is aware of titles being out of print or out of stock and will be making adjustments to the website shortly

2. When we know something is coming to an end or running out of stock we put a cap on our web store so it automatically turns off so customers are not able to order them any more. In the case of Harry Potter we were stunned how quickly the new stock sold and acted as promptly as we could to ensure that our customers and most of our wholesale dealers get their copies. We are aiming to have more in stock in June/July.

3. Lethal Weapon - we got this back in stock last November, informed everyone along the way how many units still remained and sold out of the title last week. It's not like this title, or this final pressing -- of the 3000 run -- sold out in 24 hours

4. Titanic - we had this back in stock for many months. Its now out of stock because we sold a bunch via our website and through our wholesale dealers recently. Why...I have no idea. This title is not sold out and will be back in stock later this year.

5. As for the JW Disaster set we will have another batch coming in some time in March or April (a little ahead of schedule). Its not the final batch but it will be limited to around 500 units. Buy it then or wait until more come in.

I wish we had an unlimited supply of money so we could do new projects, pay royalties, pay bills, pay taxes, pay salaries, pay for repressings without every worrying about how much we have in our bank account at the end of each month but alas we do not have that kind of luxury.

You act as if there is some grand conspiracy when in fact we are the most transparent label on the planet. Would you like to see our tax returns and royalty reports? Our postal receipts and contracts?

MV

Honest question, does your site have measures in place to prevent scalpers? Or do you look through orders to see if they are suspicious? It seems to be a big problem right now during the pandemic with lots of scalpers using programs to buy up things they see are in demand that they can make money off reselling. Waxwork mentioned about their recent release and scalpers and I know the PC parts/building industry is struggling big time with it right now.

In 18 years we have never had to worry about scalpers...and if customer buys 20 copies (and to my recollection no one has ever purchased that many at once) and they pay full retail price then so be it. I am not going to fault a wholesaler or an individual customer for buying multiple copies of a title. It's in their right. It's not like the old days when titles sold out in 24 hours (or like they do with Mondo products). When was the last time any soundtrack from us or Intrada or Music Box or Varese, etc sold out to "scalpers"? Is that really a concern for cds in 2021?

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142912&forumID=1&archive=0

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

5. As for the JW Disaster set we will have another batch coming in some time in March or April (a little ahead of schedule). Its not the final batch but it will be limited to around 500 units. Buy it then or wait until more come in.

Awesome, 3 months earlier than planned!

Hopefully this is available when the next JW expansion is unveiled, whenever that is.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

maybe a new producer will make better versions

Are the CRs flawed so that they could use a better treatment? 

P. S.: This is 100th post and I can proudly say I'm a regular poster now! 😎 Let's hope I can express my excitement about new SW, Hook or Indy expansions within my next 100 posts! 

Just now, Bounty95 said:

Are the CRs flawed so that they could use a better treatment? 

Flawed isn't the word I was use (except for FOTR), but they are simply incomplete and complete versions would be welcome, because great music was recorded for all 3 of these films that isn't on the CR sets

Instead of them going back to the original unedited recordings and presenting all the cues from that, it's more or less a dump of the score as it exists in the final cut of the EE film, with all kinds of editing, looping, and tracking done for the film preserved on the album.  They did fix some things, they did restore some music dropped from the final cut, but left a ton of film edits and tracking and looping alone.  It's also the film mix, where PJ decide to make a bunch of choir almost inaudible, instead of Shore's intentions of having a more prominent choir.  Finally, they also trimmed out some bars here and there for "listening experience".

Luckily, the TTT and ROTK CRs are properly built from the original unedited recordings.

I don't have a google doc for the LOTR scores, no

Yea, all the editing tracking and looping has been identified, and all the trimmed bars too (those are super easy to find by just comparing the CR track to the actual film)

I have plans to organize all this information together but its a long process

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Every film score ever written should be available to listen to outside the film legally IMO

You off your rocker? You have any idea how much anonymous generic shit has been written for all those countless Lifetime Movie Network snorefests and you reckon crap like that deserves a release? Hahahaha