The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I watched a Netflix thing this week abut the Cecil Hotel in L.A. - it was a 4-hour documentary, and I enjoyed the score. 

My wife and I just watched the 1st and 2nd episodes last night, we love watching these true crime dramas.  I haven't noticed the music too much but I'll try and pay attention to it for the last 2 episodes.  Good show though!

I make an effort to (legally only) listen to the score to every movie/show I watch.  So when I watched my very first ever Hallmark movie over the holidays (some Thanksgiving collab with the Jim Henson Company called Turkey Hollow), I went searching to see if a score existed and would have paid money (or in absence of that option, given them $0.06 worth of streaming money) to listen to the score

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I make an effort to (legally only) listen to the score to every movie/show I watch.

Even if it was shit like Lights Out or Annabelle Creation where it's the same spooky orchestral crash tropes whenever spooky demon does something spooky?

Ironically, no one can... for the very reason we're discussing!

I do a search on Spotify for just about everything I watch too; sometimes it's fruitful, and most of the time not. The latter is why some of us have time to do it - most stuff isn't released!

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Even if it was shit like Lights Out or Annabelle Creation where it's the same spooky orchestral crash tropes whenever spooky demon does something spooky?

And the fact that they may or may not (well, I know the latter is) be available to listen to, affects your life in what way?

There's loads of horror stuff that I like, some of it really obscure. You're essentially saying that anything you think is boring shouldn't be released, because.... ummm...?

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

And the fact that they may or may not (well, I know the latter is) be available to listen to, affects your life in what way?

It affects me very deeply and I like to judge very harshly, especially when things I read seem rather far-fetched. And the sheer abundance of it all, I fear the good stuff will be devalued sitting next to scores like Stalked By My Doctor or Cocaine Godmother.

You've got me all wrong. I simply find his claim that he listens to the scores to every film and show he watches to be far fetched. Unless he doesn't watch much.

I do that too, though only with films, not with TV shows. It works when you do two movies a week, though I have a backlog again.

Anything I watch that I notice the score as having something interesting in it, I go to Spotify to see if its there too

Last weekend we watched The Little Things on HBO Max, and I noticed a few different times a really good and interesting cue, so I'll be checking the OST out on Spotify later today.  Before we watched it, I had no plans on checking it out

Most films I have no desire to hear the score on its own. I'm selective as hell, and really, the ratio of boring scores vs interesting scores is probably staggering. Most of them bring no added value other than being merely functional, so I struggle to see any leisure value from them. Not to mention I tend to watch a movie every night, so I often feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The last film I watched that made me want to rush out and buy the score was Silverado, and that was a few months ago.

You've got me all wrong. I simply find his claim that he listens to the scores to every film and show he watches to be far fetched. Unless he doesn't watch much.

I haven't watched a film in ages.

11 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Most films I have no desire to hear the score on its own. I'm selective as hell, and really, the ratio of boring scores vs interesting scores is probably staggering.

I feel the same.

I watch on average probably about 5 movies per week.  I get 3 hours of uninterrupted listening time every day while I work, during which time my kid is up for nap/downtime.  Assuming that each of those movies a) has music available and b) I haven't already heard/listened to it, I would be able to listen to them in half of my workweek or less.

Even then, I do have a pretty big backlog, since I like to listen to things at least twice, and I also listen to other music too. 

Right now, I have OSTs for Night at the Museum, Stuart Little, Spirited Away, Nanny McPhee, Crank, Bumblebee, Songbird, The Secret of Kells, The Boss Baby, and Love and Monsters sitting there waiting for me to pick them when the mood strikes.

Finances are definitely somewhat of a stumbling block. Some stuff is cheaper digitally than on CD.  Since I don't care about artwork (or condition beyond playable), for a lot of these, I can get  used CDs on eBay or Amazon for real cheap.  I'm not neurotic about it - if something is financially out of my range (for instance, recently the OST for Thumbelina which is going for something dumb like $50 used), I just don't listen to it. and that's fine

Why should stuff only be released if someone arbitrarily decides that it "deserves" a release? For that same reason, there are constant (and justified) complaints about score X not being released/expanded because executives at the company owning the rights have no interest in it. To paraphrase Tharkûn, many scores that are released don't deserve to be, and many that do aren't.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Why should stuff only be released if someone arbitrarily decides that it "deserves" a release? For that same reason, there are constant (and justified) complaints about score X not being released/expanded because executives at the company owning the rights have no interest in it. To paraphrase Tharkûn, many scores that are released don't deserve to be, and many that do aren't.

Because not all film scores are equal. Duh.

Plus those of you claiming you listen to every score to every film you watch when possible, do you, like, ever see movies where the score never gave you that impulse? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the mentality that compels one to consume absolutely everything, because not everything is worth the effort for pursuit and seems like a gargantuan waste of time.

11 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Plus those of you claiming you listen to every score to every film you watch when possible, do you, like, ever see movies where the score never gave you that impulse?

Yep.

In those cases, I may see whether the score exists on Spotify afterwards just out of curiosity, to see whether it got a release, but if it didn't do anything for me in the film, I likely won't bother with it standalone.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Have LLL announced a date for their next release? MV's recent update sounded exciting, I just don't remember seeing any dates.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, Bounty95 said:

We hope to have some new releases first week or two of March. After that, fingers crossed, a great flood shall wash upon the soundtrack marketplace unlike ever before...at least for a period of time. 

MV

More updates from MV on the FSM LLL Questions page

MV, any chance of a heads up on the March releases? I recall there were some releases but no confirmation whether 1st or 2nd week of March. As always thanks for keeping us in the loop. Thanks.

We have 1 confirmed. Waiting on 2 more

Most likely mid March release for the 1 (or possibly 2 or 3 new releases)

MV 

No idea they could be but it's an exciting time now that two labels have mentioned long-delayed titles are finally coming up.

Now all we need is for Varese to drop a club batch too!

I was excited to get a "hopefully" in response to my question in the MV Questions thread from FSM:

Is there any chance of individual John Williams focused releases from the sold out box sets of Lost in Space and Land of the Giants?  I'm thinking something similar to the individual Superman movie releases.

Hopefully

MV

I'm with you.  I passed on the box because the cost vs. value for me wasn't there (I already have all the previous releases and LiS isn't my favorite).  If they released "The Complete John Williams Lost in Space" collection, I'd probably bite.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I'm with you.  I passed on the box because the cost vs. value for me wasn't there (I already have all the previous releases and LiS isn't my favorite).  If they released "The Complete John Williams Lost in Space" collection, I'd probably bite.

I'd go for "The John Williams Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen Collection" boxed set.